SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Retractable Top Issue Resolutions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-11, 09:29 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Well I don't know what Lexus Support is saying, but the $5K repair for my left trunk hinge has white lithium grease on it. (See post #26 on page two) Even though my flash altered the color temperature in the photo, and the grease appears bluish, it is white in color.
Old 08-06-11, 09:57 AM
Rwwlaw24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI if ur 7th old plays with the button too much the system will shutdown for a while!
Old 08-31-11, 11:57 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Exclamation Update, Update...UPDATE!!!!

Okay...so about two weeks ago I operated the roof and it did "the same thing" as before. So, apparently the 3in1 oil did not fix the problem.

I contacted Lexus. They were shocked and very disappointed with my inconvenience. They refunded me back my money, sent a loaner car 2.5 hours north to me, brought my car back to their shop, and had a ton of master techs, Regional Lexus techs, and even some engineers from Lexus Corporate in CA to look at my car as they have not seen my issue before, (refer to first post)!

So...two weeks later and a tone of hours spent on my car...they have determined that my hinges are in perfect shape, and the ECU is working perfect. They had at one point also thought the trunk lid motors were also working properly as there were no codes being produced.

One of the Lexus engineers from CA said they should order two new motors for the trunk lid one for each side to rule them out. Turned out to be the motor on the driver's side, which wasn't even the side that was having the problem. Apparently it wasn't sending the proper pulse count to the other motor making it fall behind and out of sync.

Now the big question is how much does all this cost me being I have no warranty.

Turns out Lexus was so taken back that their car was having such an unusual issue that required them to do so much extensive diagnoses on it that they waved the two weeks of time spent on the car, which totaled 15 hours and only charged me the cost of the motor for $710.29.

Probably could of got one cheaper, but at this point just glad to say case closed!!!!

I get my car back tomorrow...can't wait!
Old 08-31-11, 02:29 PM
VVTiBob

Good for you and for the "relentless pursuit of perfection". Maybe a wee testimonial on that pursuit of perfection might have waived the cost of the motor. Either way, glad to know what it was and how it was resolved.
Old 09-01-11, 11:48 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

She's officially back in my hands again and all is perfect!

Old 05-22-12, 11:24 AM
Pats100
Driver School Candidate

My recent problem was the roof retracted into the trunk and then would back up. But the windows won't close. I closed the windows with buttons. Next time the roof won't retract until I take out the fuses and put them back. I beleive the sensor that the roof is retracted completely in it is not actuating,that the roof is retracted fully, that is the reason the windows are not going up. Removing the fuse might reset the sensor ...Any suggestion to fix
Old 05-22-12, 11:45 AM
VVTiBob

One thought, yank the negative battery cable shutting down power to the entire car FOR A FEW MINUTES. Letting all the ECU reset. You may loose presets for the radio and seat positions but if it gets all the switches and motors properly synced then those two items are minor. Next step would be to get trouble codes. ..there are about 25 covering the sliding retractable roof.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 05-22-12 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-24-12, 12:23 PM
barncat
Lead Lap

Now that some of the cars have some age on them I would be interested in knowing if anyone out there has put the top up and down on a daily basis for years and what, if any, problems have developed with constant, rather than periodic use. Generally, it seems the tops have preformed well from what I've read here.
Old 02-06-13, 05:23 PM
CPM1949
Driver School Candidate

Talking retractable roof

My boyfriend (CP - owner of the 2002 sc430) had Findlay Customs in Las Vegas build a box for a woofer he had installed (along with other speakers and new stereo) recently. The woofer is in front of the trunk area behind the back seat. He gets home to N/W Arizona where it is still quite cool, puts the top down and... you guessed it. The top would not close, making his ride home from my place very cold. Also, It was weird that the trunk button on his fob magically started working. When we pushed the close and open button on the dash the only thing that happened was the red light came on. I arrived (Hi, I'm Leigh, the mechanically inclined person in the family) today to see if the top would close. Nope, not gonna happen. Weird that today the trunk release in the car would not open the trunk but the FOB release would. I registered CP on ClubLexus and ran across the mention of manually closing the roof and then also the trunk button in the glove box and how you can close the 1/4 windows. I did as instructed and the roof closed and opened several times! Luck be with me today! He does not have a owners manual and that is my next recommendation, that and instructions on manually closing the top and greasing the appropriate parts in the roof/trunk mechanism.
I had recently sign up with ToyotaNation Forum to confirm how to change my low beam high discharge headlamps in my 2008 Toy Camry Solara Convertible and found the forums to be very helpful. And yes after 2.5 hours of determination I did change my headlight bulbs out and now understand why the dealership wanted to charge $90 to $150 for labor on installing their $175 light bulbs (1). I bought two for $99 on the internet, Same exact bulbs they wanted to sell me. Anyway, thought I would throw my experience in here and if anyone has any tips or pointers to give me, feel free! Thank you everyone! Leigh
Old 02-06-13, 06:07 PM
sebtown
Driver

I hope he verified that the pull out shade in the trunk was properly seated and making proper contact with the lockout switch.
Old 02-11-13, 02:41 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

OK I'm going to read the manual. Where does it talk about greasing the appropriate parts in the roof mechanism.

Can someone post up a picture of the grease points?

Thanks.
Old 02-01-16, 02:03 PM
oldbluetoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#33: raise quarter window with top down: FYI: page 275 in 2005 SC430 Owners Manual.
Old 02-01-16, 02:44 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by oldbluetoo
#33: raise quarter window with top down: FYI: page 275 in 2005 SC430 Owners Manual.
What are the steps?
Old 02-01-16, 03:01 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by oldbluetoo
Very cool, thanks and good catch oldbluetoo. It is page 268 in my 2002 manual (right after the instructions for hardtop manual operation). Here they are:

1. Turn the ignition switch on.
2. Turn the trunk lid opener main switch in the glove box from the operative position to the inoperative position (in the cancelled position).
3. Push the "OPEN/CLOSE" on the "OPEN" side twice slowly within 10 seconds after step 2.
4. Hold down the same switch on the "CLOSE" side once within 10 seconds after step 3. The quarter windows will close.

I'll have to remember this one!
Old 02-01-16, 03:37 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

That was cool! It worked, thanks Harold and oldBlue!!!
That will be useful when I want to clean the windows with the top down.
I took it for spin with the small windows up and the car was yelling at me, LoL

Quick Reply: Retractable Top Issue Resolutions...