SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

rear quarter window mod question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-11, 03:05 PM
irokdastar
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear quarter window mod question

What going on everyone. after reading up on the lux link and seeing the mod with the relay i decided to do the relay.I want to know what kind of switch is everyone using for this mod. Thank you
Old 07-09-11, 05:45 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi,

Too bad your question didn’t spark much reaction because this is something I’d like to do too.
Like you (and many others in the Club) I would like to be able to lower or raise the quarter windows at will.

I’d like to do this mod but using only existing window switches. (No other switches added).

IMO quarter windows should be either fully up or fully down. No need for “in between”.
Also, quarter windows should only be lowered after the front windows are down. No need to lower the quarter windows only…

This is how I would like it to work;

- Press once the Auto window DOWN button would lower the front window (like current normal operation).

- Once the front window is fully down, press the Auto window DOWN button again would fully lower the quarter window.

Quarter window could only be lowered if the front window are fully down.

- Press once the Auto window UP button would raise the quarter window first.

- Once the quarter window is fully up, then the front window would be controlled like usual…

Any thoughts?
Old 07-09-11, 07:25 AM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have this its just a basic 2 way switch from an alarm. It doesnt have an external switch. Its connected to your driver side window. Tap it 3 times and it rolls down your 1/4 windows. You always tap to open. Always open your windows and close them after your 1/4 or it will rub the seals and wear them prematurely. Also whenever you use this mod your top will not open or close until you resart your car. If you try to open the top with the windows down it will think these a problem and not open just a bug that nobody seems to mention
Old 07-11-11, 08:18 AM
irokdastar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gammalex
i have this its just a basic 2 way switch from an alarm. It doesnt have an external switch. Its connected to your driver side window. Tap it 3 times and it rolls down your 1/4 windows. You always tap to open. Always open your windows and close them after your 1/4 or it will rub the seals and wear them prematurely. Also whenever you use this mod your top will not open or close until you resart your car. If you try to open the top with the windows down it will think these a problem and not open just a bug that nobody seems to mention
did you install this? Would love to get some tips . Thank you
Old 07-11-11, 10:02 AM
donsmith
Rookie

I did the relay mod, you need a SPDT (single-pole, double-throw) (On)-Off-(On) switch. The parenthesis around the On designates that it's momentary, that is, the switch naturally returns to the middle/Off position. Like this one: http://www.ace4parts.com/Products/Ro...)__30-965.aspx

Last edited by donsmith; 07-11-11 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-11-11, 11:58 AM
irokdastar
Pole Position

Thank you . i am going to order parts and try this mod.
Old 07-11-11, 03:33 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by donsmith
I did the relay mod, you need a SPDT (single-pole, double-throw) (On)-Off-(On) switch. The parenthesis around the On designates that it's momentary, that is, the switch naturally returns to the middle/Off position. Like this one: http://www.ace4parts.com/Products/Ro...)__30-965.aspx
Hi don,

That is very similar to the switch that I used; except that one looks a little longer/narrower than mine.

Mine is mounted on the top of the coin tray in the center console. Looks very nice and is really out of the way.

Some guys have mounted them near the seat-heater switches but I could not get the switch that I bought to look good there; I would have had to go to a much smaller switch & could not find one; and did not want something really tiny.

Jerry Baumchen
Old 07-11-11, 05:02 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GammaLex
If you try to open the top with the windows down it will think these a problem and not open just a bug that nobody seems to mention
I've never experienced this problem, my quarter windows work flawlessly and I can lower the roof with out a problem
Old 07-11-11, 05:06 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexiss_sc430
I've never experienced this problem, my quarter windows work flawlessly and I can lower the roof with out a problem
Are you using the lux link add on?
Old 07-11-11, 05:39 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

nope, went the custom route

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...rt-deux-4.html
Old 07-24-11, 07:19 AM
donsmith
Rookie

Originally Posted by JerryB
Some guys have mounted them near the seat-heater switches but I could not get the switch that I bought to look good there; I would have had to go to a much smaller switch & could not find one; and did not want something really tiny.
The particular switch I mentioned above does fit nicely in the seat heater switch piece. I mounted it on the left portion which my hand does not naturally "hit" this spot with my arm just resting on the console:
rear quarter window mod question-img_1744.jpg
Old 07-26-11, 07:29 PM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a duplicate from my post in the "other" quarter window mod thread...

"After carefully reading (over and over) Lexiss SC430’s instructions, I came up with what I believe is the “long awaited” wiring diagram for the quarter window mod."

Lexiss SC430, please feel free to verify and confirm the accuracy of this diagram and thanks for detailed instructions.

As mentioned in one of the above posts, the switch must be a "Momentary on-off-on" type.

Download the PDF file for clearer image.
Attached Thumbnails rear quarter window mod question-window-mod.jpg  
Attached Files
Old 07-27-11, 02:54 PM
irokdastar
Pole Position

you are the man !!!