SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

crankshaft bolt removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-11, 11:34 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default crankshaft bolt removal

Has anyone used the tool made by Schley (64300 - Crank Pulley Holding Tool -- also called Lexus/Toyota Harmonic Damper Holder SLY-64300) to hold the crank still while breaking the crankshaft bolt loose?

http://www.tooltopia.com/schley-6430...aign=nextag_r1

Looks useful along with the camshaft holding tool when it comes time to change the timing belt.
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/sp96800.html

Kelly
Old 06-27-11, 12:08 PM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kjcole
Has anyone used the tool made by Schley (64300 - Crank Pulley Holding Tool -- also called Lexus/Toyota Harmonic Damper Holder SLY-64300) to hold the crank still while breaking the crankshaft bolt loose?

http://www.tooltopia.com/schley-6430...aign=nextag_r1

Looks useful along with the camshaft holding tool when it comes time to change the timing belt.
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/sp96800.html

Kelly
I see no need for one. Simply use a higher torque air gun on it and you'll have no issues.
Old 06-27-11, 02:01 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I have the Schley tool. I bought it last year when I did the timing belt job on my SC. I also bought two Harbor Freight 24" breakover bars (guaranteed forever and dirt cheap) since I would rather not use high powered impact tools on my engine. Those made breaking loose that crank pulley bolt easy. It also has the huge advantage of giving you an effective means of rotating the crankshaft for positioning the belt and checking the timing marks once the belt is initially on all the cogs.

When you're finished installing the belt you are supposed to rotate the engine a couple turns to double check the marks and make sure there is no internal interference. Doing that is really easy with the Schley tool. You can probably torque the crank bolt a little more accurately as well. I believe it cost me about $50 from an internet supplier. Since I was saving a few bucks doing the labor I figured I had some margin to work with so I went with it.
Attached Thumbnails crankshaft bolt removal-2011_06_27_0732.jpg   crankshaft bolt removal-dsc05413.jpg   crankshaft bolt removal-dsc05404.jpg  
Old 06-27-11, 07:48 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

These crank-cam bolt removal tools can be borrowed from AutoZone or Advance Auto?

Last edited by mandyfig; 06-28-11 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-27-11, 08:00 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mandyfig
These crnak-cam bolt removal tools can be borrowed from AutoZone or Advance Auto?
Didn't check with either one. At the time I owned three Toyotas that were candidates for timing belt jobs so I figured I could justify the investment. At the parts stores you could ask for Toyota crank pulley holding tools. There are more types than the Schley if I recall correctly. It's also possible to fabricate one if you have access to machine tools. It's not sophisticated but it sure is handy.
Old 06-28-11, 07:18 AM
mandyfig

I will check it out with my local BM Auto stores.
Old 06-29-11, 11:05 AM
momssc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered all these tools from Amazon- Crank holder, OHC holder and seal remover tool $130 shipped for all 3. Then went to Harbor F for the breaker bars. They were about $18 for 2- 25"long -1/2" with coupons....
Old 06-29-11, 12:23 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by momssc
I just ordered all these tools from Amazon- Crank holder, OHC holder and seal remover tool $130 shipped for all 3. Then went to Harbor F for the breaker bars. They were about $18 for 2- 25"long -1/2" with coupons....
OHC Holder?

Seal remover?

Good deal on the breaker bars. I have 1, have to get the 2nd one.
Old 06-29-11, 12:39 PM
momssc
Driver

Over Head Cam

Cam and Crank seal remover
Old 06-29-11, 07:39 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Over Head Cam

I didn't have to do anything with seals but I had a low-time engine. Anyone else notice cam or crank seal failure(s)? The cam holder should come in handy but if your engine is anything like mine was you might wish you had two - plus a friend to hold them while you install the belt and run up the bolts on the tensioner. Back pressure from the valve springs will cause your camshafts to rotate out of position, forcing a loose belt to jump up and out of the pulleys. So it's good to have a little assistance or find a clever way to keep tension on the belt as you work. It sounds worse than it is but working alone it can seem frustrating until you get it together and confirm those alignment marks.
Old 06-30-11, 09:33 AM
mandyfig

Over Head Cam

Gotcha, thanks a lot.
Old 09-25-12, 03:44 PM
JSM
Driver

Originally Posted by cjs18
Yes, I have the Schley tool. I bought it last year when I did the timing belt job on my SC. I also bought two Harbor Freight 24" breakover bars (guaranteed forever and dirt cheap) since I would rather not use high powered impact tools on my engine. Those made breaking loose that crank pulley bolt easy. It also has the huge advantage of giving you an effective means of rotating the crankshaft for positioning the belt and checking the timing marks once the belt is initially on all the cogs.

When you're finished installing the belt you are supposed to rotate the engine a couple turns to double check the marks and make sure there is no internal interference. Doing that is really easy with the Schley tool. You can probably torque the crank bolt a little more accurately as well. I believe it cost me about $50 from an internet supplier. Since I was saving a few bucks doing the labor I figured I had some margin to work with so I went with it.
Thank you!
Old 08-11-15, 09:55 PM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

bumping for these awsome tools. trying to do the water pump on my 1jz right now and it is a major pain. Going to see what princess auto has and if they dont have anything like this i guess i will be buying these. Thanks for the awsome reccomendation CL.
Old 08-12-15, 01:53 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

I have heard those are great tools, please have a look at a complete timing belt/water pump job using the crank holding SST, built at home.
It was made with parts from the hardware store and 15 min to assemble.

Steel rod
Pipe flange
Four bolts.

See all pics in post #2 and #17
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc430-2nd-gen-2001-2010/777911-timing-belt-replacement-on-bws-sc430.html#post8961578

Last edited by Bgw70; 09-08-20 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-13-15, 09:49 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I have heard those are great tools, please have a look at a complete timing belt/water pump job using the crank holding SST, built at home.
It was made with parts from the hardware store and 15 min to assemble.

Steel rod
Pipe flange
Four bolts.

Please post the link...please?

Have been thinking about doing my belt...have the kit for a while. I have the fantastic Utube video. Just the tools are holding me up. I want to get a new compressor and use the high torque air gun.

Dreams. But I have to do my belt NOW, running 113K...

Quick Reply: crankshaft bolt removal