SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

The Mother of All SC430 Tint Threads (merged tint discussion and pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-01, 04:46 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts
Question The Mother of All SC430 Tint Threads (merged tint discussion and pictures)

SC430 Members,

With summertime upon us, I'd like to have a single point of reference for all the tint questions that will come. If you've had your SC430 tinted, please upload pictures to the Club Lexus gallery and link them in this thread (Click here to get to the gallery upload and Method B in this link will tell you how to add pictures if you don't know how).

Please list:
- % tint
- color of your interior (does make a big difference in how dark tint appears)
- type of tint if you know it (smoke, dyed, metalized, etc)
- brand of tint if you know it (3M, Solarguard, Lumaster, etc)

There are a number of good "I got tint!" threads, but I'd like to make one master thread with pictures of each percentage and pictures of different color SC430/different interiors with tint. We're merging some of those threads together here.

Laws for tint in your state:
I can't vouch that all of these are correct, but Tintdude has a good summary of the max allowed in each state Link here

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-19-11 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-06-02, 03:35 AM
pot_head
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window tinting...

where should i get this done? should i get it done at a local Lexus dealer? and how dark should i tint it? where i live, tinting is illegal. on my bmw i have it tinted 35% all around and i dont get pulled over for my tint. but in the daytime the tint doesnt seem to be working very well for me. its ok tho, it does help.

my sc is black. im wondering if i should tint it as dark as the one in the picture gallery, the pick of a black sc with dark tint and lowenhart wheels. that looks like limo tint or something close. maybe 10-20%.

i cant imagine a sc with the top down and the 2 side tinted windows rolled up or part way. that when i imagine that in my head, it looks funny.....especially if it was limo tint.

if i were to get windows tinted, where should i do it? i remember the dude who tinted my bmw windows had to take the door panel apart. now thats a older bmw that i have. this is a new lexus were talking about. should i get it done at the dealer? maybe when i go in for my wood trim vibrating problem, i should get the window tinted at the same time? can i have some inputs pls? thanks.
Old 03-06-02, 03:48 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

USUALLY, the dealers contract pretty good shops...but you get raped...you should just find some recomendations for local shops...what area do you live in?

As for the level of tint, that's up to you. I live in Communist California where tint is illegal (on the front side windows and the windshield because politicians KNOW WHAT WE NEED. )

I've had cars with 70% tint (very light) and got a ticket. I now have LIMO tint (5% or 8%, I can't recall...) and my windshield tinted ....luckily, I haven't received a ticket...cops don't seem to care on this car (maybe because my other car has a **** THE POLICE bumper sticker on it? J/K) Basically, it's just luck. It's up to you to decide if it's worth the potential fix-it's...
Old 03-06-02, 08:21 AM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The Sewell dealership here in Dallas offers Huper Optik tint.
They had a demo of it -- it's NOT dark, but has a great ability
to cut heat -- VERY impressive. That's what I want from tint anyway, especially in the Texas summer. Protect that interior (not to mention my own hide)!!!
http://www.huperoptik.com

I'm thinking of getting it done for the upcoming summer.
The dealer did have quite a charge for it, about $250 plus about that much for installation. Their reasoning was that the door panels have to come off to get below the seals, not to mention the rear windows (sides and back).

I'd hate to take it to some tint & stereo monkey to mess up something. Still debating it, though...
Old 04-16-02, 04:47 PM
jhuzzee
Driver School Candidate

Default BAD TINT JOB - ECLIPSE WINDOW TINT - NOVATO CA

BAD TINT JOB @ ECLIPSE WINDOWS TINT in Novato, CA (northern cali)
Please don't go there. Unprofessional staff and unreliable service.

This was my experience:

The owner wanted cash, so I said fine, I'll bring cash after the
job was done. When I came back to get the car, he refused to give
me an invoice (which I've demanded for my record) according to him,
he does not give invoice on cash deal, so he won't have to report it
as income in his business. Shady business practice.

But what pisses me off was I came back a week after for "touch up"
on those bubbles all around the windows. He did not do them,
instead he made an excuse that my rear passenger windows
were chipped perhaps from a welding job on a door panel which is a b..****
excuse. After, I've raised hell, he suggested that he would remove the film
and put in a new one, but would have to charge me. I told him "Screw you",
that I've regretted taking my GS300 to his one-man shop. The business did
not even give me the "lifetime warranty" that was verbally implied before
they did the work.

What a bunch of unethical & unprofessional ***......

I repeat don't go there.
Old 04-16-02, 07:58 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont think I am going the tint route, for two reasons. One is the windows would look so stupid rolled up with the top down and two it is illegal, not that I care, but not having to worrying about it is priceless.

Limo is 5-20% On my Supra I had 15% all around and 5% in the back....if you use 35, and put 5 or 15 in the back window it darkens it up a lot.

This car is staying legal though, it was a serious PITA, I had actually turned around at traffic stops and etc. But to each their own. Cars can be impounded for tint though, they can rip off your inspection sticker, mandatory court appearances....and tinting your front windshiled could make you forfeit your insurance if something were to happen.
Old 05-18-02, 08:41 AM
super sc
Driver School Candidate

Question Window Tinting

Can anyone recommend a good auto tint installer in the New England area? Preferably someone who has worked on SC430s.

Also, what brand tint should I use?

Thanks.
Old 05-22-02, 09:26 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My dealer has some cool (literally) tint called Huper Optik.
Definitely reduces heat.
I haven't had it installed yet, but the Texas Summer approaches.

It's a pretty light tint despite its heat-repelling ability.
I prefer it for the Midnight Pine rather than a dark tint...

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-19-11 at 10:54 AM. Reason: removed invalid link
Old 05-23-02, 06:46 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tint is tough on a convertible, there are those times when you want the windows up while the top is down and it just looks ridiculous. I guess in Texas though it is more or less a necessity.

Anyone ever seen that glass they use in homes that changes color, clear to opaque.....now that would be a nice feature.
Old 05-25-02, 04:07 PM
hoops_24
Pole Position

3M film. No more than 30%
Old 08-26-02, 11:15 PM
JerseySC
Rookie

Cool Just tinted my SC

Just got back from Tropic Window tinting w/ my newly tinted SC430. I went with BRONZE 35%, I think it makes the Ecru/Light Birdseye Maple wood look sweet. My car was the first SC they had ever done so they only charged me $180 as a guinea pig. The rear window was very hard to tint because there is very little room between the rear window and the headrests. We had to stop the convertible top halfway. The two rear windows were hard also because the would not stay up w/ the top down. All in all the owner did a great job but said any future SC430 would cost $250 because of the labor. If you live in the NY/NJ are I highly recommend them!

www.tropictint.com
Old 08-26-02, 11:37 PM
RodF
Pole Position

I went with a reflective grey 35%, which matches the Silver exterior. What color is your exterior and how does it look with the bronze?
Old 08-27-02, 12:41 AM
JerseySC
Rookie

Millenium Silver; which, correct me if I am wrong, is a yellow-based silver, not blue/red-based; looks fantastic with a bronze tint.
Old 08-27-02, 12:50 AM
RodF
Pole Position

Sorry - I just realized your car color was in your signature.

Anyhow, that is exactly the same color combination I have. I never thought of using Bronze. Would love to see it sometime if you have time to post pics.
Old 08-27-02, 10:24 AM
DropTop430
Driver

Please post pics of SC430's with tinted windows, windows up and down if you have them please. I have been thinking about doing this but not totally convinced yet...

Quick Reply: The Mother of All SC430 Tint Threads (merged tint discussion and pictures)