SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Streaming Bluetooth Music

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-11, 03:09 PM
robsvdp
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Streaming Bluetooth Music

Thought I'd share my latest "mod" (if you can even call it that) -- streaming music via bluetooth from my iphone to my SC430. I have the VAIS SLU (which will work in ANY year SC430). I also bought the Blackberry Music Gateway (here: http://us.blackberry.com/smartphones...ic_gateway.jsp) which is under $50. You plug the Blackberry Gateway into the aux/headphone cable of the VAIS, then power it with a standard USB Cigarette adapter under the arm rest (which is switched). And that's it -- the unit is off when the car is off, turns on and automatically pairs with the phone when the car is on, and plays music wirelessly off the iPhone (and probably many others). Does not mess up the handsfree phone, either. Way better than using the headunit (I have an '06, so I do have all the head unit functions, and this blows it away) -- finally a cutting edge ipod solution for older SC's!
Old 05-14-11, 04:21 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Interesting -- so you are saying that the iPhone can have two Bluetooth connections simultaneously -- phone to car AND iTunes to Blackberry Music Gateway?

What head unit functions are there? Can you control tracks from steering wheel? Do you have headunit display of artist/title?

Also, are you satisfied with the sound quality? I've read that even second generation A2DP Bluetooth is akin to FM sound quality.

There are many here with iPhones (e.g. Mr. Blister), so this may be a really good find.
Old 05-14-11, 04:37 PM
robsvdp
Pole Position

iPhone supports two simultaneous connections. No headunit controls, but the sound is excellent.
Old 05-17-11, 11:45 AM
leecm
Rookie

Does this work with an 06 IS250 that does NOT have bluetooth phone capability? I've read a thread about this and it was specifically for cars before 09 that had bluetooth voice but not music capability. I would think that if the blackberry gateway plugged into the car via aux and usb (for power) and paired with the phone, then there would be no need for the actual car to have bluetooth technology. Am I right in this? I'm thinking about getting the bberry gateway for my car because I'm tried of having to connect my phone via aux anytime I want to play grooveshark while driving.
Old 05-17-11, 06:13 PM
robsvdp
Pole Position

It has nothing to do with the bluetooth in the car -- all you need is the aux jack. Works great - my only complaint one week in is that you have to press play on the music to start it every time -- obvious, I know, but there's something to the automatic play that happen with built in systems (radio, CD, iPod etc).
Old 05-17-11, 10:17 PM
deadeyed
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leecm
Does this work with an 06 IS250 that does NOT have bluetooth phone capability? I've read a thread about this and it was specifically for cars before 09 that had bluetooth voice but not music capability. I would think that if the blackberry gateway plugged into the car via aux and usb (for power) and paired with the phone, then there would be no need for the actual car to have bluetooth technology. Am I right in this? I'm thinking about getting the bberry gateway for my car because I'm tried of having to connect my phone via aux anytime I want to play grooveshark while driving.
if you already have aux in, check this too. music + call via bluetooth:

http://www.belkin.com/au/IWCatProduc...duct_Id=530115
Old 05-21-11, 09:44 PM
Rancher
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

These units work great with for stereo bluetooth if you already have an ipod cable hooked up with a vais unit

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...Cj1qYI3qw%253D

If you need a 3.5 aux out you can order one of these cables to connect the FIPO unit to a 3.5mm jack:

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5mm-Car-AUX-Au...item2eb3a2bba5