SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

issues fitting non-runflats??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-11, 03:00 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default issues fitting non-runflats??

Hey guys. I just got new tires NON runflats to replace my bridgestone runflats. And several tire shops have tried and failed to install them. Taking the old runflats were tough.. but the biggest issue now is that the final shop that has my SC now can't seem to fit the new tires.

They got the tires on, and did not get that "POP" when fitting... and air was leaking 360 degrees around the inside of the wheel.. where the wheel and tire meet. So they used some sealant, and the leak is gone.

Everyone seems at a loss. Any help or tips would be wonderful.
Old 04-20-11, 06:22 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tensi
Hey guys. I just got new tires NON runflats to replace my bridgestone runflats. And several tire shops have tried and failed to install them. Taking the old runflats were tough.. but the biggest issue now is that the final shop that has my SC now can't seem to fit the new tires.

They got the tires on, and did not get that "POP" when fitting... and air was leaking 360 degrees around the inside of the wheel.. where the wheel and tire meet. So they used some sealant, and the leak is gone.

Everyone seems at a loss. Any help or tips would be wonderful.
Hi Tensi,

1 1/2 yrs go I put Michelins on my stock wheels; not one iota of a problem.

Are you running Lexus wheels?

Does that shop really know what the #### they're doing?

A number of years ago a tire shop told a good friend that they could not put new tires on his BMW with the BMW wheels that he had on it. He bought new wheels FROM THEM.

IMO he got the royal shaft, but that is life,

Jerry Baumchen
Old 04-20-11, 09:03 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

sounds like they dont know what they are doing...there should be no issue with mounting. I know that I tried mounting the run flats on to my IS250 wheels to use while i decided which tires to use next and the shop I went to around the corner Fed up one of the runflats while mounting and now it needs sealant to stop a slow air leak at the bead. When I had my allignment done at firestone they told me the shop messed up the tire when they pryed it off the original rim...RFTs are hard and need special precaution when un mounting.

So long story short pick a shop that knows what they are doing. I also had a shop break a sensor valve once...100 dollar mistake!
Old 04-21-11, 11:26 AM
Tensi
Intermediate

Thank you both for your input. I am running the stock wheels. I went to three tire shops, and two couldn't even get the tires off! The third did, but are having trouble fitting the tires back on. They do a ton of high end cars, so its kind of weird.

Robertrios, is that sealant safe? They ran it ALL THE WAY around the wheel! I complained, and they said they remounted it.

At this point, WHEN I get my car back I am thinking of taking a far trek to a really really good shop and forking over more money to make sure it was done right.
Old 04-21-11, 12:00 PM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably a dumb question, but are the non-runflat tires the same size as the runflats? Also, some places have trouble with our tires because they consider them low-profile. They don't have the right tools to remove/replace them. I've had a few places tell me that, but usually performance or large tire shops have the right equipment.
Old 04-21-11, 12:58 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I would avoid those shops like the plaque.

It is 2011, many cars have RFT now.
Back in 2003 when I bought my sc, many individual shops wouldn't touch rft or 20"+ wheels if they saw one.
Old 04-21-11, 01:44 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

RFT has nothing to do with size if your running a 235-40-18 then thats the size in RFT, Summer, Winter, and all season.

Where is the nearest lexus or toyota? Have them take a look. I dont trust sealant. Ive never heard anything bad but I dont trust it. After my vacation next month im getting my tires replaced just to be safe. Good news is 3 of the RFTs will be basically brand new since there are less then 1k on them so maybe i can sell those 3 to another member but the 4th one I think i might just toss since it requires selant i guess i can give the option to the buyer if they want it they can have it but of course they are paying shipping so you know how that goes.
Old 04-21-11, 05:48 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by redliner8
Probably a dumb question, but are the non-runflat tires the same size as the runflats? Also, some places have trouble with our tires because they consider them low-profile. They don't have the right tools to remove/replace them. I've had a few places tell me that, but usually performance or large tire shops have the right equipment.
Yes, same size. They finally got them fitted. Not sure what the issues was... after unmounting and remounting repeatedly, they got them to pop into place.
Old 04-21-11, 05:49 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by talwang
I would avoid those shops like the plaque.

It is 2011, many cars have RFT now.
Back in 2003 when I bought my sc, many individual shops wouldn't touch rft or 20"+ wheels if they saw one.
I hear you. I am meticulous too, and took it to a good place that does a ton of tire installs on high end cars.

The only better option was a good amount away, and I had two flats so..
Old 04-21-11, 05:52 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by robertrios
RFT has nothing to do with size if your running a 235-40-18 then thats the size in RFT, Summer, Winter, and all season.

Where is the nearest lexus or toyota? Have them take a look. I dont trust sealant. Ive never heard anything bad but I dont trust it. After my vacation next month im getting my tires replaced just to be safe. Good news is 3 of the RFTs will be basically brand new since there are less then 1k on them so maybe i can sell those 3 to another member but the 4th one I think i might just toss since it requires selant i guess i can give the option to the buyer if they want it they can have it but of course they are paying shipping so you know how that goes.
Finally got them all mounted, and he said they ended up undoing the sealant, and remounting per my request. He has always been honest with me in the past, so I am hoping he is being truthful.

You think I should contact my Lexus dealer to remount and balance?

Only reason I didn't go there to begin with was I had two flats.
Old 04-24-11, 10:06 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

maybe for peace of mind but its really up to you, monitor the air for the next few days and see if there are any slow leaks that would indicate that the tire was damaged during mounting and they needed sealant.
Old 04-24-11, 11:25 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Got it. Thanks. Will do. I plan on measuring the air every morning for a while. He seemed like a genuine guy and wanted to do the best he could.