SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

brake job

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-11, 06:18 PM
tentoys
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake job

Replaced front pads and rotors and rear pads today. Should have done photos but it has been pretty well covered previously. For anyone reluctant to attempt it, don't be afraid. Easiest brakes I've ever done. Toughest part is getting the car on jack stands as there is so little area to jack it up with room to place on stands.Wish the car had a true frame...except for the weight. Rear brakes took a few minutes to figure out but then was really simple. You don't even have to remove the caliper. Just remove two spring type clips and a pin and the pads lift right out. Then compress the caliper piston and drop new pads in, replace clips and it is done. The toughest part of the front was hanging the caliper up out of the way with only 2 hands. I used a zip tie and coouldn't get it threaded with one hand while holding the weight with the other. Had to recruit the wife. Two bolts and the caliper is out, the two more bolts and the caliper bracket is out and rotor pops right off. Replace rotor, Reinstall caliper bracket, drop in new pads, compress brake pistons with a c-clamp and it drops right onto the pads. replace the bolts and it is done.
Old 04-09-11, 06:32 PM
darnot10
Driver

Originally Posted by tentoys
Replaced front pads and rotors and rear pads today. Should have done photos but it has been pretty well covered previously. For anyone reluctant to attempt it, don't be afraid. Easiest brakes I've ever done. Toughest part is getting the car on jack stands as there is so little area to jack it up with room to place on stands.Wish the car had a true frame...except for the weight. Rear brakes took a few minutes to figure out but then was really simple. You don't even have to remove the caliper. Just remove two spring type clips and a pin and the pads lift right out. Then compress the caliper piston and drop new pads in, replace clips and it is done. The toughest part of the front was hanging the caliper up out of the way with only 2 hands. I used a zip tie and coouldn't get it threaded with one hand while holding the weight with the other. Had to recruit the wife. Two bolts and the caliper is out, the two more bolts and the caliper bracket is out and rotor pops right off. Replace rotor, Reinstall caliper bracket, drop in new pads, compress brake pistons with a c-clamp and it drops right onto the pads. replace the bolts and it is done.
Am going to do the brakes when I do the caliper painting. Thanks for the write up. Maybe if you are in the DFW area I'll look you up when that time comes.
Old 04-10-11, 04:25 AM
tentoys
Rookie

Sorry, I'm about 150 miles south of Dallas or I'd be glad to help.