SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)
View Poll Results: What's an acceptable delay to resolve this glitch?
I want the LuxLink now…NOW, NOW, NOW!
14.81%
If a delay of a couple of weeks means the glitch is fixed, it’s worth the wait.
22.22%
I'd be willing to wait an additional 4-6 weeks to make sure it’s right.
18.52%
However long it takes – Do it once, do it right.
44.44%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

About-To-Be New LuxLink Owners - Need Your Opinion/Input

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 09:57 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by redliner8
That would be pretty bad! I think a delay to get it fixed is better than having the problem exist.
Water got into the CarPC and fried one of the memory modules. I was not happy.
Old 04-06-11, 10:08 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That sucks. I can imagine several other situations where I wouldn't want the top to inadvertently go down.
Old 04-06-11, 10:20 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

If things get to difficult to please everyone and since the next run of luxlink is most likely the last . WE may have to calculate what are the down sides to the glitch. If it means that Steve would be pulling out from it . I would be willing to accept mine with the glitch. Yes it could be an inconveience for some but if its the only way forward I would live with it as is . Lifes not perfect
Old 04-06-11, 10:31 AM
Habious

Originally Posted by mrblister
If things get to difficult to please everyone and since the next run of luxlink is most likely the last . WE may have to calculate what are the down sides to the glitch. If it means that Steve would be pulling out from it . I would be willing to accept mine with the glitch. Yes it could be an inconveience for some but if its the only way forward I would live with it as is . Lifes not perfect
I agree. If the answer is "you just have to live with this glitch", I will...as I have, and just work around it.

I posted this poll because, in my conversations with Steve, he asked me if I'd be OK with a delay if the glitch could be fixed.

I just wanted to see what the general consensus was on this. I don't speak for everyone.

If the glitch can be fixed, I'd be happy. If it can't, I'm not canceling my order or discontinuing using this product. I'll live with it, like I always have.

Last edited by Habious; 04-06-11 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Put too many j's in "canceling"
Old 04-06-11, 11:01 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As others have said...this could be the last run of these and if the glitch can be fixed and field tested...why not just wait.
The story of the rainy night and other issues make me want to wait until…
Could you imagine starting the car in the garage where you may not have the clearance and the roof go down...YIKES!!!
Old 04-06-11, 11:38 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
I agree. If the answer is "you just have to live with this glitch", I will...as I have, and just work around it.

I posted this poll because, in my conversations with Steve, he asked me if I'd be OK with a delay if the glitch could be fixed.

I just wanted to see what the general consensus was on this. I don't speak for everyone.

If the glitch can be fixed, I'd be happy. If it can't, I'm not canceling my order or discontinuing using this product. I'll live with it, like I always have.
As an owner of luxlink for 3 years I AGREE totally. I would be VERY HAPPY with 2 more units that function the way mine does. I am estatic that Steve is giving us this opportunity. We've talked about this for more than a year and some members have even offered to buy and remove members (or ANYONE) selling a SC with luxlink for a good price. People willing to pay more for a used unit, that they would have to remove. This is a dream come true. If you know about the glitch-work around it. I am willing to follow whatever Steve decides is best.

John
Old 04-06-11, 11:59 AM
Habious

Originally Posted by Solman
If you know about the glitch-work around it.

The LuxLink basically gives you 4 features the the car doesn't have from factory.

A) Allows you to remotely start the car
B) Allows you to remotely raise/lower the convertible top
C) Allows you to do both A & B, remotely starting the car and having the top raise/lower
D) Gives you one-touch (double-click) control with the interior button

The "workaround" for the glitch is essentially..."Don't ever do 'C' if you don't want it to mess up when doing 'A'."

That's basically been my workaround. I don't do the sequence that starts the car AND lowers the top...because I know doing that will cause a problem the next time I remote-start it. There are many, many times when I'd like to do this. But, I've chosen not to...as my "workaround".

However, if we CAN get 'C' to work without messing up 'A' (and, more importantly, not messing anything ELSE up), I'd love the product even more!
Old 04-06-11, 12:12 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Just so we don't scare anyone here, let's be clear. The glitch only happens when you do a double function: car start AND top down. If you stick to single functions, top down THEN car start, there is no glitch.

I don't intend to ever put the top down and start the car in a single function. I'm not even sure why there's value in that, especially because you then have to use the key to manually unlock the door since the remote is locked out at that point.

I'd hate to introduce new programming bugs and so my vote would be to go with the tried and tested as is.

OTOH, I will say that I don't care about delay since like so many, I'm getting this as a backup.

Sure says something about how great the Luxlink is when almost no one has had a failure, yet so many are willing to buy one as a spare "just in case."
Old 04-06-11, 12:19 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

C) Allows you to do both A & B, remotely starting the car and having the top raise/lower
I don't think this is in the manual. If I were Steve, I'd say that this is an undocumented, unintended "feature" which is not supported.
Old 04-06-11, 12:25 PM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
I don't think this is in the manual. If I were Steve, I'd say that this is an undocumented, unintended "feature" which is not supported.
From the following documentation from Luxury Motorworks...it is an intedned operation!

OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS FOR SC430
LuxLink® Luxury Vehicle Remote Control

TO USE REMOTE START

1. Press Unlock Button first one time.
2. Press Lock button two times to start.
Note: You have 3 seconds to unlock the doors before the ignition is turned on. When the ignition is turned on the remote is disabled and the door will have to be unlocked by using the driver’s door cylinder.
3. Press Unlock Button within 2 seconds to unlock Driver’s Door, or press Unlock Button 2 times to unlock both doors.

 Note: For security: Unlock must be pressed before starting, to prevent alarm from going off.

 Note: Key must be put in ignition and turned to on position prior to stepping on brake pedal or engine will stall.

 Note: After approximately 15 minutes of running, vehicle will automatically turn off.

 Note: Have FUN! Show it off! Heat up or cool down your cabin whenever possible by starting the car early!

 Note: Hood pin must be closed in order for remote start to operate.

TO USE REMOTE TOP

***CAUTION: The only way to stop the remote top while in motion is to turn the key to the lock position in the driver’s door key hole or by pressing the inside top switch.

4. Press and hold Unlock Button for approximately 3 seconds till a long audible beep is heard.

 Note: Once you have heard the long audible beep, you have approximately 2 seconds to press the lock button and lock the doors. After the top has completed its cycle, the doors will be locked and the alarm will be armed.

 Note: LuxLink detects what position the top is in, therefore will open or close the top accordingly

TO OPERATE REMOTE TOP AND STARTER SIMUTANEOUSLY

1. Press and hold Unlock Button for approximately 3 seconds till a long audible beep is heard then immediately press the lock button 2 times. (Timing is crucial)

 Note: The engine will first start then the top will either open or close.

 Note: LuxLink detects what position the top is in, therefore will open or close
the top accordingly

TO OPERATE REMOTE TOP ONE TOUCH

1. Press the inside top switch 2 times to either open or close the top.

 Note: You can stop the top by pressing the opposite button one time.

TO OPERATE REAR QUARTER WINDOWS

1. Press driver’s window switch down 3 times.
a. Window’s will either open or close.
b. Wait at least 5 seconds between each window motion.
Note: The rear quarter windows alternate between up and down. If window does not move on the first try wait 5 seconds and try again. Rear windows do not have the ability to recognize if the windows are in the up or down position.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-07-11 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-06-11, 12:31 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

And apparently, I'd be wrong.
Old 04-06-11, 12:40 PM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

I meant no disrespect Jonny!
Old 04-06-11, 12:41 PM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Either way, glitch or no glitch, I'm still really excited about it and ready to show it off this summer. Of course it'd be nicer without it, but I'd be content if it can't be fixed. I'm just glad I know about it beforehand so there's no surprises.
Old 04-06-11, 12:42 PM
Habious

Originally Posted by PLAYTYM
I meant no disrespect Jonny!
I was about to post "In your face!" to JohnnyCake so, I think you're good.

PLAYTYM, thanks for finding that. I was just looking for it!

Nice to know I'm not crazy...at least not in this particular, narrow instance.
Old 04-06-11, 12:48 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I certainly agree that it's a totally different problem if you live someplace where it's always sunny and 82°!!

I've had the top go down "uncommanded" when I started the car on a rainy evening.

At that time, it was more than just "a little annoying"!! It dumped a mess of water (from the back window and roof) into the trunk of my car (and onto my CarPC). Not to mention, my seats got wet from the rain coming down, until I could put the top back up.
One reason I'm hold it back at this time....I can order one now, but I'm not sure if I will install it. I don;t know how to install nor know any shop that can install it correctly

Quick Reply: About-To-Be New LuxLink Owners - Need Your Opinion/Input