SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Restore the shine of your Navigation Screen

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-11, 01:20 PM
Rancher
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Restore the shine of your Navigation Screen

My recently purchased 2002 SC430 had a grimey Navigation Screen that was covered in 9 years worth of rub marks where the common command buttons appeared on the screen.

First I cleaned the screen with a photographic lens cleaner:

Then, after applying a REALOOK screen protector

The screen had a clean glossy almost new look again - Horray!
Old 03-27-11, 01:37 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cool post up a pic, dosent it reflect more light off the screen with the protector?
Old 03-27-11, 04:39 PM
Rancher
Rookie

Yes it does reflect a bit more, but overall it is much easier to read and hides almost all of the old wear marks and scratches.

I will post pics of all of my mods once I get my luxlink installed in a couple of weeks.
Old 03-27-11, 04:51 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If this works, there will be a cheeseburger with your name on it in Miami.
Old 03-27-11, 05:46 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Post pics please.
Old 03-28-11, 07:34 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put a screen protecter on my GPS when the car was a week old. I use a eye glass cleaner solution to clean the screen,and it works very well. If the protector gets dull or scratched, its just a matter of peeling the old one off and putting a new one on.The only down side is that the screen does not appear as bright as without a protector on it. In the sun it can be just a little harder to see.But not too much.I would recommend this product.

Katy
Old 03-28-11, 08:18 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by azkaty
I put a screen protecter on my GPS when the car was a week old. I use a eye glass cleaner solution to clean the screen,and it works very well. If the protector gets dull or scratched, its just a matter of peeling the old one off and putting a new one on.The only down side is that the screen does not appear as bright as without a protector on it. In the sun it can be just a little harder to see.But not too much.I would recommend this product.
I wish everyone had thought to do this when the car was new. As a result of the senseless Lexus "I accept" button, all of their cars have the notorious dull smudge on that area which can't be cleaned off. But I will say.....the screen protector hides it very well, and fingerprints, too.

The only semi-frustrating problem with a screen protector is getting the bubbles out.....but it can be done.
Old 03-29-11, 10:01 AM
Rancher
Rookie

The realook surprisingly had very few bubbles that eventually worked their way out over a week. It is thicker than other screen protectors I have applied in the past, so it goes on easier, just take it slow.

I started from the upper left corner of the nav screen and applied the protector downward in a diagonal motion.

This method resulted in very few bubbles that were easily squeezed out to the sides.

I did get overzealous with my plastic scraper on one bubble and that left a few small scratches on the protector film. No Big deal.
Old 03-29-11, 12:06 PM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the touch sensitive screen still work as if the screen protector wasn't there? Or is it less sensitive?
Old 03-29-11, 04:02 PM
Rancher
Rookie

The touch screen works fine!
Old 07-01-19, 11:59 AM
oldbenz1
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like it might be a good fix,but REALook screen protector is no longer available. On ebay I found a lot of screen protectors made especially for the most popular cell phones and finally found a similar film for larger screens (i.e. tablets, etc.). Wondering if these screens would do the trick (would have to be cut to fit of course). Is the REALook protector a flexible film or is it made of rigid tempered glass?
Old 07-01-19, 08:18 PM
leexed
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

i just found realook 7 inch tempered glass screen protector on amazon (7/1) for $2.88 w/free shipping. We will give it a shot!
Old 07-02-19, 06:25 AM
oldbenz1
Driver School Candidate

Just checked Amazon again (7/2) for the screen saver you describe but couldn't find it. Can you post the link.
Old 07-02-19, 09:14 AM
leexed
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Available screen protector

Sorry but purchased item on Ebay. # 113054024735. Less than 3 bucks plus free shipping
Old 07-02-19, 10:27 AM
oldbenz1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by leexed
Sorry but purchased item on Ebay. # 113054024735. Less than 3 bucks plus free shipping
I did find this product on ebay using the item number you gave.(thanks for that). Have you received it yet? I'm not sure, but the description says it is made of tempered glass. If so it cannot be cut. If I understand correctly, these screen savers are made made in various sizes to exactly fit the popular cell phones and tablets so we may not be able to use them on our NAV screens. I did clean my screen with an eyeglass cleaning pad and it did make an improvement

Quick Reply: Restore the shine of your Navigation Screen