SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

How long do you honestly plan on keeping your car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-11, 09:50 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

while we are on the subject, has anyone ever had an engine go? on know when the engine on my brothers ES (1994) died they popped an avalon engine in it. I wonder if there is any cross compatibility with any other engines under toyota/lexus...v8 or not.
Old 03-24-11, 05:36 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about the LS engine? I know it is also a 4.3
Katy
Old 03-24-11, 05:49 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by robertrios
while we are on the subject, has anyone ever had an engine go? on know when the engine on my brothers ES (1994) died they popped an avalon engine in it. I wonder if there is any cross compatibility with any other engines under toyota/lexus...v8 or not.
Robert, my understanding is that the 3UZ-FE engine used in the SC430 is shared with the GS430 and LS430; if so there should be plenty of replacement stock out there.
Old 03-24-11, 05:53 AM
bacardi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I look at it this way. I'm 68 years old in April and this is the last car I will own. I'm moving to Florida by the end of the year. My car I'm bring down in Aug. so I plan to enjoy the top down till the end.
Old 03-24-11, 08:07 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's see I'm 34, have two children 10 and 3, and a wonderful girlfriend whom I soon hope to make my wife! I have owned plenty of convertibles in my short life, but have always wanted an SC since they were first introduced. At the time I couldn't justify spending $70,000 on a very impractical car being that I live in Vermont of all places to own one. Last year the owner of my company who lives in Florida had a 2002 SC430 in his garage and barely drove it, but when he did it was highway between FL and NY. I recently was promoted to CTO and as a gift the car was given to me with just 53,000 miles for next to nothing. I cherish this car more than most and plan to put her back to showroom condition, which to be honest won't take much time or money as the car is in perfect shape. I have some "light" mods to do and plan on enjoying her for a little while. I'll probably put about 5k to 6k on her a year and so I guess my plan would be to keep her for about four years and sell her for a 2010 model, one owner, with very low miles, and keep that one forever.
Sorry, so long winded response, but "I HAVE A PLAN!

Josh
Old 03-24-11, 08:18 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I'm glad there are still some people that love these cars. I never understood someone getting rid of a car because it's getting older.

Why is it such a big shock that some of us actually like these cars regardless of them getting cheaper/older/less cool then some of the newer cars? The SC is one car that has so much potential that most newer cars are a JOKE as far as what you could actually do with them in terms of engine/transmission/aero mods. Sure a G37 is faster than a stock SC300, but that doesn't mean anything to me.
Old 03-24-11, 10:18 AM
T8LEX
Driver

I love my SC and only see me getting rid of it in 3 or 4 years for a newer SC
Old 03-24-11, 11:02 AM
rcroller
Rookie

December 21, 2012. If we're still here the next day, I'll shoot for the remainder of the CPO warrantee. After that I'm sure there will be something else to want..maybe not better but different. I like to change every few years...just ask my ex-wives.
Old 03-24-11, 11:38 AM
SystemShok
Driver

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I'm glad there are still some people that love these cars. I never understood someone getting rid of a car because it's getting older.

Why is it such a big shock that some of us actually like these cars regardless of them getting cheaper/older/less cool then some of the newer cars? The SC is one car that has so much potential that most newer cars are a JOKE as far as what you could actually do with them in terms of engine/transmission/aero mods. Sure a G37 is faster than a stock SC300, but that doesn't mean anything to me.

Yes I agree !

Once I complete the mods (do we really ever?) or close to completing it I want to enjoy it for a long time. Plus any new model that comes out it will take couple years atleast for aftermarket companies to fully develop bodykits, coilovers etc etc...
Old 03-24-11, 12:24 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

i usually consider trading up with new generations or changes in my life or lifestyle. In the future ill buy an SUV again, maybe a beater tacoma or something as well but the SC will always be there unless like others have said a 3SC comes out thats just amazing. However if it goes anything like the Eclipse line did (Late 90s had the best body style...ie Fast and the Furious...GST GSX Eclipse!) then the 2SC would rain supreme. Also hopefully as these become cheaper to buy and kids start picking them up a market will build up and there will be more aftermarket gear...however which such low production models to begin with i think its unlikely which is sad because the car has soooo much potential!
Old 03-24-11, 09:03 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm in a mini-quandary.

My 430 is my first new car, has been my only car since I bought it, and will be 9.5 years old in May. It has 84K miles on it, cosmetic issues (most reparable, will not discuss driver seat), and super-reliable (except I couldn't get the top to go up today b/c of some intermittent sensor, IMO).

I have no idea what I would replace it with, nor what I would drive to relieve of the stress of driving it (which I think would be bad for it). There are faster, more technologically superior and warrantied cars out there, but nothing has the eye-catching style of the (timeless) SC430.

I compare ours to the previously much-anticipated 6-series, which has lost its appeal IMHO. So what do I do? First, stop crossing my fingers and do what's necessary for a 9-year-old car and keep it performing like the car I love.
Old 03-25-11, 08:35 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by antigeek
I'm in a mini-quandary.

My 430 is my first new car, has been my only car since I bought it, and will be 9.5 years old in May. It has 84K miles on it, cosmetic issues (most reparable, will not discuss driver seat), and super-reliable (except I couldn't get the top to go up today b/c of some intermittent sensor, IMO).

I have no idea what I would replace it with, nor what I would drive to relieve of the stress of driving it (which I think would be bad for it). There are faster, more technologically superior and warrantied cars out there, but nothing has the eye-catching style of the (timeless) SC430.

I compare ours to the previously much-anticipated 6-series, which has lost its appeal IMHO. So what do I do? First, stop crossing my fingers and do what's necessary for a 9-year-old car and keep it performing like the car I love.
Tons of alternatives out there, the trouble is none of them offer the hassle free reliability of the SC430.

For people like us that really enjoys the hassle free reliability, there are no alternative
Old 03-25-11, 10:28 AM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife's 2002 daily driver currently has 38K miles on it and is driven 6-7K miles per year. It is garage kept and serviced by me. I expect the car to last for 400K miles so I don't see any reason to replace it unless there is a 2009-2010 model available at a reasonable price sometime in the future. I don't expect that for another 4-5 years.

At that point I will be hard pressed to sell the '02. Why should I let someone else drive what is a timeless, incredibly well engineered car for a mere fraction of what it is worth to me? That said, I will probably keep the '02 and drive it until the wheels go square!
Old 03-25-11, 12:10 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I will keep the SC until it become a money drinker!! I hate bringing them to repair shop......I need to get rid of the RSX soon as its becoming money drinker. It has 115K miles, just install a new clutch, one front shock was shoted & possible one rear, driver side headlight works randomly, need new rotor soon.....looking at $1,500 repair within next 3 months......
Old 03-25-11, 12:47 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

I have 6 years worth of warranty left on this baby and I plan to keep it until the Gomment won't allow me to buy gas for it. Love the car, love the ride, love the looks, love the open air. I was just in Seattle and spotted 6 in three days in and around Seattle, Tacoma and Olympia. Just saw three on my way home from the airport today!

Quick Reply: How long do you honestly plan on keeping your car?