SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

I am ordering a LuxLink to lower the top remotely -- rear window option worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-11, 04:06 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default I am ordering a LuxLink to lower the top remotely -- rear window option worth it?

As most of you know, Luxury Motorsports announced that it is resuming production of the Luxlink which permits the top in the SC to be lowered remotely with a press of the key fob. I am going to order one as a backup since it is a limited production run.

There is an option to have the Luxlink also control the rear windows. Since my kid rides in the backseat all the time, it would be good if putting the rear window up cut down on wind. Can any of you that have this option give an opinion?

Also, I've read that the rear window mod can mess up the rubber gaskets if they are up and then the front windows are put up. Any truth to that?

This thread is ONLY to discuss the product, please do not take this off topic to sales discussions.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-19-11 at 06:39 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-19-11, 04:21 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Seconded.

I'm buying a replacement unit because mine has a glitch where you can't program the "run-time" of the remote start module for anything more than 5 minutes.

If the rear-window mod is worth it, I'll spend the extra $75.00. But, if it's just more trouble than it's worth, I'd like to know.
Old 03-19-11, 04:43 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have it and really like it. The SC looks great with all windows down and the roof up (the real hardtop look). I have had no problems with it, except for one "glitch". Your luxlink can only be used to make the top go up and down OR the rear windows. You must restart the car to use the other feature. Example: last night my wife and I were cruising with all windows down (I had used the luxlink to put the rear quarters down). Weather was great, so at a light I decided to put the roof down forgetting that I used the luxlink to lower the rear quarters. The top wouldn't move. I then momentarily turned off the ignition and right back on. A double click of the roof button engaged the roof and it then lowered. All before I got the green light! Small price to pay for two great features, in my opinion. I have had both for nearly 3 years-best mod ever! I think its so great that I would not want to be caught without it and ordered 2 more, while they are in production.

John
Old 03-19-11, 05:27 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Solman
I have it and really like it. The SC looks great with all windows down and the roof up (the real hardtop look). I have had no problems with it, except for one "glitch". Your luxlink can only be used to make the top go up and down OR the rear windows. You must restart the car to use the other feature. Example: last night my wife and I were cruising with all windows down (I had used the luxlink to put the rear quarters down). Weather was great, so at a light I decided to put the roof down forgetting that I used the luxlink to lower the rear quarters. The top wouldn't move. I then momentarily turned off the ignition and right back on. A double click of the roof button engaged the roof and it then lowered. All before I got the green light! Small price to pay for two great features, in my opinion. I have had both for nearly 3 years-best mod ever! I think its so great that I would not want to be caught without it and ordered 2 more, while they are in production.

John
Hey John

In your example while you're at the light, would the top still go down if you hold the convertible button down or the top would not go down at all?

Also, there's mention of the alarm module but I decided to not get it. Beside the fact that it'll sound the alarm from the sensors, is there a reason why I need it?
Old 03-19-11, 06:47 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

At the light, the roof would not work at all. Restarting the engine resets the luxlink. You make a choice whether you want to use the rear windows or the roof. Its not a big deal to restart-I did it while waiting for the signal light to turn green. The alarm sensors were not available when I got my luxlink 3 years ago, but I am considering adding it. I think the sensors are more of a personal choice based on your situation-parking, where you leave the sc, etc. If you think you get looks and comments now-wait until you add luxlink. It is an amazing mod.

John
Old 03-19-11, 06:50 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

If you put the windows back up...does that reset the system and allow you to put the top down?
Old 03-19-11, 07:42 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I have the rear window mod and it works the same as Solman, The 1/4 windows will go down or up when you do the tripple button press. Its a timing thing you can hear a relay click when you press the drivers window down button its important that you get the timing right. The window mod is not smart, By that I mean the system does not know if the 1/4 windows are up or down. in the event the tripple press does not work the first time you try wait 10 seconds then try again. If you press to soon the luxlink or module computer gets confused. So you just shut off the car and restart and that will reset everything . I know that if i have used the 1/4 window mod at any time and if i want to lower or raise the top I have to shut the car off and restart to reset it. That seems to be the only glitch I have found . I would say that it is very reliable as long as you know the one quirk. Best mod of all.
Old 03-19-11, 08:59 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmm i dont think i like the fact that I would have to restart the car so im thinking im going with the regular unit + the extra alarm sensor since its only 50 dollars more but maybe they fixed the 1/4 window glitch?
Old 03-19-11, 10:36 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

I really would not call it a glitch. I think its like a procedure taht you do if you put your rear windows down and then want to opperate the top down. I just shut car off at a light and restart it . I am so used to its just automatic. Its well worth getting it in my opinion. I dont think you would be sorry.
Old 03-20-11, 04:35 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I now have a question about the alarm feature. I have read here, that the alarm system install was thought to be invasive. Is it? Also that there could be a lot of false alarms, and this could run down the battery. Is this fact? I believe that you don't have to hook-up the alarm. If it is hooked up, do you have to set it, or does it set itself. Thanks
Old 03-20-11, 05:49 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Its not invasive . You just have to be sure to install the hood pon wire. The hood pin wire Steve told me i can attach the wire to the hood pon contact which is just behind the hood pin release in the frront of the engine compartment. The alarm module has its own wire harness that plugs into the luxlink, I believe the alarm functions and integrates with the OEM alarm and is set when the OEM is activated. The alarm steve designed is supposed to protect the car from shocks windows breaking and car lifting as in trying to tow it. The standard alarm fell short on this. There is also a warn away feature that starts to beep slowly to let someone know that the car is armed and any further advance will fully set off the alarm
Old 03-20-11, 06:40 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

I agree totally with mrblister. I was reluctant to call this process a "glitch". I seldom have all the windows down and then want to drop the roof. So the once in a great while when I do I have to momemtarity flip the key, its not a big deal. Its not like your diving when you put the top down. I've had this setup for 3 years and it is the best mod you can do. BTW I didnt do the rear quarter mod when they put the luxlink in. I regretted that I didnt do then and had steve add 3 mos later. I recommend you do them together.

John
Old 03-20-11, 08:24 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps you can walk me through this...what would i need to do in order to:

1. Have the top down with the 1/4s up
2. drive off once ive remoted started the car.

Those are the two things I want the most.
Old 03-20-11, 08:39 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

robertrios--Once the top is down, click the key off/on and put the rear quarters down.

John
Old 03-20-11, 08:42 AM
gentouru
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds great, but where can I get this (http://www.luxurymotorworks.com and it is out of stock). Also, anyone have the install instructions?

Quick Reply: I am ordering a LuxLink to lower the top remotely -- rear window option worth it?