SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Supra TT and LS400 Brake Conversion Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-15, 11:39 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I was going to say that the shims may be causing the problem...reference diagram three, if you are missing these parts and the setup requires them, order them. The problem should be solved.
Thanks BGW, I appreciate your response. Can you post the part number which you think are the proper ones, as there were two options listed at SHIM, ANTISQUEAL... with different part numbers (0494514010 or 4774414130)? Thanks. And if anyone has any other suggestions I will wait for a few days to make sure this is the consensus.

Oh and maybe how these shims are supposed to be attached (any photos would be greatly appreciated). The diragram seems a little less detailed as the number of plates doesn't match what the numbers of parts in the kit and what's behind the pad and in what order.

The same part numbers (47744 and 47745) look diffferent on each diagram. On the 4 piston is has 2 half circle holes and only 1 part, but on the 2 piston the same part numbers have two plates, one with grooves and one solid without holes at all. Very confusing.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 11-26-15 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-26-15, 03:46 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

What brake system do you have, or does it matter?
Do all systems have shims?
Did you install them?

Last edited by Bgw70; 11-26-15 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-26-15, 04:11 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Well some of the diagrams show the two piston system, and other diagram shows the 4 piston system. I have the 4 piston caliper system. This is why I asked the question, b'c my 4 piston system (Link 1) shows the part 47744 and 47745 but doesn't have it in the part list below the diagram. The 2 piston diagram (link 2) shows the same part and does have it in the part list below. When you compare both, they have different pieces (one with half moon, other with the groove and solid plate) but have the same numbers. And in link 3 there is a 3rd completely different kit with the same description (SHIM ANTISQUEAL...) and it has a completely different part number and different number of pieces. . I know there have been a few members who have done this upgrade and would love to hear what I'm not doing correctly or what parts i'm missing. Or is this project just doomed? I'm very confused and honestly, just quite frustrated at this point.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 11-26-15 at 04:15 PM.
Old 11-27-15, 12:28 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Any other advice from any other pros with experience in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-27-15, 06:23 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Let's back up, you listed a brake system from a 1996 Supra...
Rockauto.com shows the brake pads and they include the shims.
If you have a different year look up those pads.
Old 11-27-15, 06:37 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

I have the OEM Toyota pads (part number 04491). It was two solid pads, all pressed together. No extra pieces or shims or anything else. Not sure if these OEM ones have the shims already built into them or not and that's part of the problem I'm having.
Old 11-27-15, 06:47 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,696 Likes on 2,282 Posts

Shims cause more problems than they solve IMO, and in theory they will cause a slightly softer pedal. Put some heavy duty brake lube on all points where the caliper contacts the pads and the problem will probably go away. If you want to use shims then make sure both sides of the shims are lubed up.

If you still have the problem then the pads are vibrating in the mounting hardware (clips) or the combination of rotor and pad are not working properly together.
Old 11-28-15, 02:16 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I have the OEM Toyota pads (part number 04491). It was two solid pads, all pressed together. No extra pieces or shims or anything else. Not sure if these OEM ones have the shims already built into them or not and that's part of the problem I'm having.
I am not going to argue with Lexus2000 but I am going to give you my thoughts.

Toyota designs these cars a certain way for a reason...and yes, you are missing shims and possibly clips.
If I saw pictures of your setup, showing the pads and calipers plus the abutment bracket, if applicable, then I would be able to provide more information.
I looked at the diagrams and they show shim kits for part 04491. There are two shim kits, one for each engine.

The Toyota parts guy should be able to help...ask him if the pads you have require shims.
Don't sweat this, it's minor stuff and you will have it corrected in no time!

Last edited by Bgw70; 11-28-15 at 02:31 AM.
Old 12-01-15, 07:44 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

So I stopped by the Toyota Dealership and had a chat with the Parts Department. I explained the situation to the guy at the parts counter so he pulled up the diagram for 1996 Supra TT 4 piston caliper and got the proper part number which turned out to be 04945-14111 (which didn't show up on the parts list on the links i posted- Link 1 previously). Total cost was about $20. Apparently need to install with the arrow towards the front of the car and put the grease between the pad back plate and these shims. Got them today but won't be able to install them for a few days, have a lot on my plate right now. I've attached photos of the parts for anyone who has similar problems.
Attached Thumbnails Supra TT and LS400 Brake Conversion Anyone?-imag0080.jpg   Supra TT and LS400 Brake Conversion Anyone?-imag0081.jpg  
Old 12-02-15, 03:15 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Well, that sounds like good news Shawn. I hope that it resolves your issues.
Old 12-03-15, 09:53 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Found the time and added the shims/antisqueal plates today. Squeal is gone! Knock wood. I'm happy that this problem is solved but I do have another problem that I can't explain. I put it on the back burner as the squeal was the most annoying. I am getting a type of "ratcheting" noise when i apply the brakes. Not sure if it's front or rear but it seems that it's only the left (driver) side. I hear most when I'm driving with windows down and with a wall to my left side to echo it. It does change depending on my speed. The best description I can give is a "tuk.tuk.tuk.tuk.tuk...tuk...tuk...tuk..tuk....tuk.......tuk.........tuk" depending on my speed and when I slow to a stop it spread outs. It only occurs with braking and does not occur when cruising.
Old 12-03-15, 10:13 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

So it is more of an impact sound rather than a scraping sound, right?

(Congrats on resolving the squeal!)
Old 12-03-15, 07:30 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

....do you have slotted/crossed drilled rotors ? If so, this may be the issue...I had a noise similar to what you're describing & the old pads running across the slots was causing it. I replaced the pads & the noise went away
Old 12-03-15, 08:34 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by texsexlex
....do you have slotted/crossed drilled rotors ? If so, this may be the issue...I had a noise similar to what you're describing & the old pads running across the slots was causing it. I replaced the pads & the noise went away
Hey buddy, thanks for chiming in. Yeah I'm running d&cs rotors but almost all my hardware and pads are brand new. New toyota pads front and rear, new supra front and rear d&cs stop tech rotors, new supra front calipers, oem Lexus rear calipers that came with car, new stop tech stainless steel lines front and rear. I will say though that the front toyota pads sat on a shelf for 6 years. Could that be an issue? Could it just be break in noise since it has only been less than 200 miles?
Old 12-03-15, 08:54 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Hey buddy, thanks for chiming in. Yeah I'm running d&cs rotors but almost all my hardware and pads are brand new. New toyota pads front and rear, new supra front and rear d&cs stop tech rotors, new supra front calipers, oem Lexus rear calipers that came with car, new stop tech stainless steel lines front and rear. I will say though that the front toyota pads sat on a shelf for 6 years. Could that be an issue? Could it just be break in noise since it has only been less than 200 miles?
...they could still be seating themselves to the rotors & causing the noise, I would give them a little more time. The problem I was having was caused by the ceramic pads not seating properly with my rotors. We turned the rotors,added new pads & an extra helping of anti-squeal grease & the problem seems to have gone away

Quick Reply: Supra TT and LS400 Brake Conversion Anyone?