SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Look at what just UPS brought.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-11, 07:47 AM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Look at what just UPS brought.

My Gen4 Nav unit. that was SUPER quick. I ordered it from a junk yard on Monday for $265 shipped and it came this morning. IMPRESSED!

Old 03-16-11, 07:55 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow it looks kinda rough...mine was pulled from an 07 GX470 @ 2X,XXX so it was all shiny...but it was around 350...if it works it works! Awesome Mod
Old 03-16-11, 07:56 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Where do you get these guys? Fleabay? You guys rock at getting these sourced.
Old 03-16-11, 08:02 AM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by robertrios
wow it looks kinda rough...mine was pulled from an 07 GX470 @ 2X,XXX so it was all shiny...but it was around 350...if it works it works! Awesome Mod
yeah thats what I thought but I will clean it off a little before installing.

Hey remember dont judge a book by its cover if it works then awesome! if not I got 30 days to return it but i am sure it will work.
Old 03-16-11, 08:08 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

It may be an ugly duckling on the outside, but it's inside that matters. A great price, and an easy plug and play upgrade that add value to your car.
Old 03-16-11, 08:08 AM
Jace_91
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what yard did you order from?
Old 03-16-11, 08:43 AM
westxype
Rookie

VIPness you're doin the SC up big and fast. Nice upgrade. I'll have to check the junkyards around here.
Old 03-16-11, 08:46 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
It may be an ugly duckling on the outside, but it's inside that matters. A great price, and an easy plug and play upgrade that add value to your car.
Maybe I'm a little slow on the uptake, but what does this give you?
Old 03-16-11, 09:27 AM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PLAYTYM
PLAYTYM do a search on it. In a nutshell it's a direct plug and play swap and the Gen4 improves the maps and POI and shows buildings to my understanding. Also it reads backups of the navigation DVD's alot easier then the Gen2/3 does. Of course this is making a backup DVD of the one you own because Clublexus doesnt condone to software pirating!
Old 03-16-11, 11:00 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea Gen4 is a must have...now if i could just get the 10.1 maps id be set.
Old 03-16-11, 11:24 AM
Sapherynth
Driver

Would have been nice to have it for the Navtool install :-D. But on the flip side you may have accidentally blamed the nav for the issues and not the wiring. Super purchase!
Old 03-16-11, 11:29 AM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

I also just noticed there is a DVD in there already but not sure which one it is. Wont know till I install the sucker to get power.
Old 03-16-11, 12:49 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by PLAYTYM
Originally Posted by VIPNiSS
PLAYTYM do a search on it. In a nutshell it's a direct plug and play swap and the Gen4 improves the maps and POI and shows buildings to my understanding.
If anyone has a good answer, I'd be interested in knowing this also. POI are a software function, to my understanding, so I'm not getting the advantage of upgrading.
Old 03-16-11, 05:23 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

It's more than just POI.

Gen 4 system gives you access to the improved user interface and new software options not found on the Gen 2/3 systems. Additionally, the Gen 4 system takes advantage of the Hand Free bluetooth phone integration.

OF COURSE owners of 2002-04 cars are not wired for, nor have the other hardware equipment to, integrate a cell phone. Nevertheless, you still have access to the newer GUI.

For example there are several new ways to input destinations which were not available in the older generation. One way, is by phone number. Even if you don't have the telephone "dial tone" for connecting calls, you can input a destination via its "phone number".

Another feature is; multiple routes (usually 3) suggestions with time/distance/roadway type etc etc. displayed giving you choices. Voice prompts are also improved. If you are so inclined, you can set up routes, or a route and multiple destinations in the order you want. There's also route overview and route preview features including a ordered turnlist with turn instructions and distance. There is much more I'm just tired of typing....LOL

The reason I upgraded was two fold. One, it really is plug and play. It took longer to take apart the trunk garnish and put back together than it did to install the new nav ecu. The second reason was access to the "newer" and improved GUI and its options. While the latter is mostly software driven, the hardware is, for whatever reason, necessary to access it.

If you are more curious, I'd suggest going to "drivers.lexus.com" page and read through any navigation user's manual for SC model years 2005-2009, they're all Gen 4 ECUs.

SC430's skipped Gen 5, and as far as I know AZKATY is the only lucky one to have the newest Gen 6 fully integrated user interface. I drove a 2011 ES350 w/GEN 6 as a loaner the other day and it was a giant leap from the GEN 4, but still woefully behind state-of-the-art devices from Garmin and others.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 03-16-11 at 05:30 PM. Reason: grammar fixes
Old 03-16-11, 07:48 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
It's more than just POI.

Gen 4 system gives you access to the improved user interface and new software options not found on the Gen 2/3 systems. Additionally, the Gen 4 system takes advantage of the Hand Free bluetooth phone integration.

OF COURSE owners of 2002-04 cars are not wired for, nor have the other hardware equipment to, integrate a cell phone. Nevertheless, you still have access to the newer GUI.

For example there are several new ways to input destinations which were not available in the older generation. One way, is by phone number. Even if you don't have the telephone "dial tone" for connecting calls, you can input a destination via its "phone number".

Another feature is; multiple routes (usually 3) suggestions with time/distance/roadway type etc etc. displayed giving you choices. Voice prompts are also improved. If you are so inclined, you can set up routes, or a route and multiple destinations in the order you want. There's also route overview and route preview features including a ordered turnlist with turn instructions and distance. There is much more I'm just tired of typing....LOL

The reason I upgraded was two fold. One, it really is plug and play. It took longer to take apart the trunk garnish and put back together than it did to install the new nav ecu. The second reason was access to the "newer" and improved GUI and its options. While the latter is mostly software driven, the hardware is, for whatever reason, necessary to access it.

If you are more curious, I'd suggest going to "drivers.lexus.com" page and read through any navigation user's manual for SC model years 2005-2009, they're all Gen 4 ECUs.

SC430's skipped Gen 5, and as far as I know AZKATY is the only lucky one to have the newest Gen 6 fully integrated user interface. I drove a 2011 ES350 w/GEN 6 as a loaner the other day and it was a giant leap from the GEN 4, but still woefully behind state-of-the-art devices from Garmin and others.
How did azkaty get it? Did it come like that from factory cause she has the last year production?

Quick Reply: Look at what just UPS brought.