Navtool Installed with Back Up Camera. DIY Inside with Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-14, 11:14 AM
Born2x
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done VIPNiSS!

It will aid in my current project.

I started a major project on my 03 SC last weekend. I have the dash, console, rear seat & side panels, rear window deck, and most of my trunk dismantlement.

Last Sunday after a considerable amount of contemplating what modifications would be needed to install the flagship Sony XAV712HD Smartphone connected 7” AV Stereo Receiver, I conceded that Sony wouldn't fit in the SC and still allow the door to shut properly (.30-.40 inch off). Major disappointment! Although all isn't lost, the SOny will be installed in my commuter Rav4.

This put me in major research mode to determine what would fit (which I'll share later in a thread) and I selected the flagship Pioneer AVH-4000NEX 7" touchscreen smartphone Stereo DVD. It came Thursday and I immediately did a quick fit check in the SC. It fit well enough, however the door needs another .02 inch, but I knew I could easily resolve that issue. I didn't want to continue that evening because my garage was 98 degrees and the fires in north San Diego area.

This weekend I'm in full throttle upgrading the SC w/ the Pioneer A, BeatSonic stereo adapter, Gen 4 Navigation, Navi bypass, Rear Camera, repair Rear Speakers & Subwoofer, and repair Rear Window Deck (reupholstering because of heat blistering).

Best regards and thanks for sharing your DIY project.
Dan
Old 05-19-14, 10:10 AM
watson4664
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ShawnOK. Good questions!

First the manufacture is adamant about not using P-taps so my first goal was to use as few as possible. I even called Navtool and again they told me not to use them due to possible vibration loosening them. The product I used does say that they are vibration proof so only time will tell.

Secondly I wanted to have a setup where I could remove or replace the Navtool device as easily as possible if I had later problems with it so I decided to use the terminal strip. To remove the Navtool device now I just have to cut the backup input wire and unscrew the remainder of the connections. I was hesitant about multiple wire clips or connections as they do not always leave the wires in great shape if you have to remove them at a later date. The instructions at the beginning of this thread use crimp on connectors and they are the worst about leaving wires in a damaged state when you try to remove them.

The terminal strip I used was screwed down to the deck using 8-32 ¾ in stainless self-tapping screws so the strip is securely installed. There is at least 4 inches of clearance in in the top and sides and I soldered the connectors to the wires so the only possible issue could be vibration loosening the screws as stated by DarthSid.

I just retired from 50 years in the computer industry and terminal strips were used in almost all power applications in large mainframe computers 20+ years ago. I never recall an issue with connections coming loose from vibration and believe me the fans on these servers were big and subjected vibrations to the chassis.

I think this actually made the installation simpler as I have a central point for connection and was able to test the Navtool early by connecting a test jumper from a 12 volt terminal to the Navtool reverse input without having to be in the driver’s seat. I could just look thru the back window and make the connection and see the interface switch to the camera and display on the navigation screen.

You could always cover the terminal strip with a piece of insulation if you are concerned about shorting. This is actually a good idea and I might do this in the near future.

Thanks for this suggestion.

Last edited by watson4664; 05-19-14 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-19-14, 10:23 AM
watson4664
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrblister
That is some write up. You could write this up for the camera co that sell the cameras
I did this to help other forum members.

I appreciated the earlier write-ups but they left holes that made me unsure that I could do the job myself. Since I could not find a professional installer I trusted I went ahead with the idea to leave a better document when I was done.
Old 05-19-14, 06:48 PM
Born2x
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by watson4664
I did this to help other forum members.

I appreciated the earlier write-ups but they left holes that made me unsure that I could do the job myself. Since I could not find a professional installer I trusted I went ahead with the idea to leave a better document when I was done.
Watson,

Your writeup on the Reverse Camera and Navtool installation DIY was very comprehensive and detailed.

I'm a Mechanical Design Engineer, and one thing I've learned of my 30+ year career... there's more than one way to skin a cat! Most of the details are personal preference and how a person goes about doing a project has a lot to do with their background and mentors. As for screws and P-taps loosening through vibration... There's screws all over the car, are you concerned about those? Nothing a lockwasher or Loctite can't resolve.

I know it takes a lot of time to document a process, and I appreciate your great effort sacrificing your time to help others.

Best regards,
Dan
Old 06-16-14, 12:55 PM
TransXfer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up! I spoke with them today, apparently they are coming out with a new model soon with it's own navigation system, HDMI, Bluetooth, and more! I'm very excited!