SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Resonator Delete w/ pics & video!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-11, 06:13 AM
zonk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an Artisan aftermarket exhaust on a SC with resonators off and think it sounds good. It's a nice purrr, the only thing I would change is the moan at about 1500rpm. If you drive the car aggressively you can keep the rpms up and it sounds great.

Last edited by zonk; 12-05-11 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-31-11, 03:26 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am wondering what the resonator delete would sound like with the Injen intake? I am stock right now and I understand that the intake gives both a better sound and a performance improvement. Do you all recommend doing the intake first? Sure the cost is higher for the intake mod than the resonator delete ...
Old 01-01-12, 04:16 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Deleting the cats may though up a fault code.
Old 01-01-12, 05:30 AM
bacardi
Lead Lap

i run a custom made exh. with both res. still. no center cat. and custom made muffers by dr gas with an X pipe replacing center cat. i get no codes. sounds great.

Last edited by bacardi; 01-01-12 at 06:04 AM.
Old 01-01-12, 11:32 AM
Vasu
Driver School Candidate

Love it it's sexy!
Old 05-14-13, 08:49 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Going to breathe some life back into this thread. I'm interested in one of two options present below and trying to decide which is better. I would really appreciate the advice. My main goal is, of course, to get a deeper, throaty growl from the V8 without that weedwacker, import sound. After reading this thread there weren't any solid answers on the questions I was pondering, even though they were asked a few times. First and foremost, I want to avoid a Check Engine Light as well as anything that will lead to decreased overall performance. With that being said, which of these TWO options is better: to delete only the resonators, OR to delete the resonators and the middle cat? Rationale/benefits/consequences on your opinion would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance to all the experts that chime in. :-)
Old 05-15-13, 05:39 PM
kennylexsc
Driver

i like the new sound, i might cut my off too, any effect anyone

thanks
Old 05-15-13, 08:29 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Well that's still my question, I guess. To anyone who has has experience with exhaust systems, is it better to remove just the resonators, or to remove the resonators and the middle cat? What's the difference in sound comparatively between the two options? Any issues with check engine lights or backpressure with either option?
Old 05-15-13, 09:21 PM
i2fat
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've removed the resonators and the sound was different, but it wasn't enough for me. It was very faint and not really worth it.

I welded the resonators back on and deleted my mufflers. That is definitely the best option for me. Sounded perfect.
Old 05-16-13, 08:02 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a Magnaflow with PPE headers and the Megan downpipe.

http://s16.photobucket.com/user/acto...haust.mp4.html

Not too loud.....but definitely not silent !!!
Old 05-16-13, 07:26 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Going to breathe some life back into this thread. I'm interested in one of two options present below and trying to decide which is better. I would really appreciate the advice. My main goal is, of course, to get a deeper, throaty growl from the V8 without that weedwacker, import sound. After reading this thread there weren't any solid answers on the questions I was pondering, even though they were asked a few times. First and foremost, I want to avoid a Check Engine Light as well as anything that will lead to decreased overall performance. With that being said, which of these TWO options is better: to delete only the resonators, OR to delete the resonators and the middle cat? Rationale/benefits/consequences on your opinion would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance to all the experts that chime in. :-)
These are two separate issues. The resonator delete is to get a different sound but doesn't affect the performance. Deleting the 3rd cat improves somewhat the performance but I don't think changes the sound. I am goingnthe same route as Bacardi - keeping the resonators, but installing a Dr. Gas system that deletes the 3rd cat and Y- tube and replaces that with an X-tandem crossover tube as well as two small hi-flow muflers to replace the OEM muffler. I will get both a new sound and better performance. I will post pictures and dyno results in a separate thread when the work is done.
Old 05-16-13, 07:37 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
These are two separate issues. The resonator delete is to get a different sound but doesn't affect the performance. Deleting the 3rd cat improves somewhat the performance but I don't think changes the sound. I am goingnthe same route as Bacardi - keeping the resonators, but installing a Dr. Gas system that deletes the 3rd cat and Y- tube and replaces that with an X-tandem crossover tube as well as two small hi-flow muflers to replace the OEM muffler. I will get both a new sound and better performance. I will post pictures and dyno results in a separate thread when the work is done.
Thanks for the info, a very clear definition to what I was looking for. To propagate this a little further, along the same lines of your response; what would happen if one deleted the resonators AND the 3rd cat but kept the OEM muffler and exhaust pipes? How would the sound change? Any performance change? Thanks
Old 05-17-13, 10:36 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

There would be the sound change you hear in the video from OP, and a bit (tbd) of a performance improvement.
Old 05-17-13, 11:07 PM
aaron0815
Driver School Candidate

anyone deleted the 3rd cat and still passes California smog?
Old 05-20-13, 11:19 PM
reelbb
Rookie

Coming from a 2GS guy, the reason for the third cat is that Lexus certified the SC as a ULEV or an Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle. The third cat just scrubbed any excess gas that came from the primary cats.

On a GS430, I was able to test a custom downpipe with some mandrel bends vs the stock 3rd cat downpipe. The result was a 2hp increase to the wheels, keep in mind the GS exhaust is a straighter shot than the SC.. I intend to remove the 3rd cat and resonators in the next few months. But I think the best method is to buy the megan downpipe off Ebay and some exhaust gaskets, that way if you don't like it just swap it back and resell on ebay for a marginal losss.

Gutting the 3rd cat and resonators would be a huge mistake in my book, it's a very expensive and hard to find part to replace. On a side note, when I sold my GS, I placed my OEM pipe on the curb for large garbage pickup and it was gone the very next morning. My neighbor told me a scrap guy came by and just threw it in the back of his truck, I'm sure he made a quick 100.00 at the scrap yard for the platinum in the cat. :-(

Quick Reply: Resonator Delete w/ pics & video!