SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Need NAV Solution with Aftermarket STEREO ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-11, 10:27 AM
blacksabb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need NAV Solution with Aftermarket STEREO ASAP!

Before anyone tears into me on this, yes, I am aware when you remove the OEM ML system, NAV does not work. I know there are ways around this such as putting the OEM in the trunk but that doesn't seem like a good option. I also read here that someone was able to use a part off the OEM to get around this and continue powering the NAV but there were no details and I can no longer find the post. (On another note, the sound now blows but apparently my installer has an aftermarket module that lets you utilize the factory amps which he is supposed to install when he fixes the NAV.) Anyway...

I have a 2003 SC430 and a Clarion Vx-401.

My installer said he could put the new Clarion in and get the NAV to work but he couldn't. It has been about 5 weeks and I have not been able to find a solution. So I have a crappy sounding system and no NAV and it is extremely frustrating.

Can someone give me a DETAILED solution to getting the NAV to work with the Clarion? Talk to me like I am a 5 year old. Obviously, I don't know enough about stereos to do the work myself. I need a very SIMPLE laid out explanation to tell my installer. Feel free to post or PM me. If you have done this, I would love to talk with you. Thanks everyone!
Old 02-27-11, 09:26 AM
T8LEX
Driver

i dont know much about stereo installs either but what my installer just did was take the circuit board that controlled the navi out of the MLhead unit and some how wired it in to work with a Alpine 505 i dont know if the clarion would work i could ask my installer.
Old 02-27-11, 10:47 AM
blacksabb
Driver School Candidate

Default NAV board

If you could ask him specifically what it was and how he did it, that would be awesome. Or if it is easier, you could put me in touch with him in a PM. I am extremely over not being able to use the NAV and have crappy sound for over a month now. I'm one of those guys that HAS to listen to music in the car all the time. Thanks.
Old 02-28-11, 05:52 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems like it would be easier to buy and install a new Nav to go with the aftermarket CD player...? Rather than integrating the old with the new. May even be cheaper if there's less labor involved.
Old 03-01-11, 05:12 PM
blacksabb
Driver School Candidate

maybe so but my installer said he could make it work so I went with the Clarion that was $200 less. Plus, I'd rather have my radio screen accessible when I am using the NAV.... and for anyone looking to put one of these in, the glare is atrocious during the day.
Old 03-02-11, 04:52 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good point. I'm hoping someone has a solution too since I'll be looking to do something similar this summer.
Old 03-09-11, 06:19 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The solution is rather simple... To install an after market radio with OE amp and nav, you need to retain the OE radio main CB connected. I did it last year because I wanted to get rid of the ML and it worked fine.
I stuffed the ML circuit board under the new head unit. Just don't forget to turn up the volume all the way up on the steering wheel remote or you'll get no sound out of the amp.
Old 03-09-11, 08:14 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Of course, feed the amp with the output of the new head unit, not the dummy ML board.
Old 03-09-11, 09:38 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by redliner8
Good point. I'm hoping someone has a solution too since I'll be looking to do something similar this summer.
redliner8, not to hijack this thread, did you install the spacers? How are they?
Old 08-21-11, 08:35 PM
ImFlying
Driver School Candidate

I have an 06 SC430 and when I replaced my stereo I went the whole way. I replaced the main unit with a Kenwood DNX 7160 dual DIN touch screen unit. It has a dvd player and gps on it a and I bought the satellite radio interface for it. The doors still work for both top and bottom screens. I also had to replace the top screen with an Alpine unit because the old one was not compatible with the new system. It sounds great and I love the Garmin GPS that comes with the unit. It looks much better and is easier to navigate. It is also easier and cheaper to update.

The only thing that I lost is the volume controls on the steering column. Does anyone have a solution for that?

Other mods have been:
Luxlink remote start/top down/motion sensor package.
Rear camera interfaced to the Kenwood
led replacement of all interior lights
6000K HID low beams
6000K HID replacement of fog lights
18" Machined Tourmaline alloy wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position tires
Old 08-21-11, 08:38 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they usually sell kits for that, at my stereo place they are 150 installed to allow for the oem controls to work, however im not sure if that works with all cars
Old 09-01-11, 03:35 PM
djmichel
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default After market radio interface

Beat sonic sell a interface module that allows retention of the Factory Navigation. Only the steering wheel controls are lost, all Nav functions work normally. The unit is called a Beatsonic MVA-11L, it is important that the L verson is used. Cost is arount 400 dollars. Expensive but no kluge in the trunk that the service people will bring everyone around to see when it's in the shop.
Old 01-11-16, 01:41 PM
430texas
Driver School Candidate

Default Navigation Not Working

Without using the expensive Beatronics MVA-12L conversion kit is there a way to retain the factory navigation. What wires are coming from the Navigation system and what do they connect to. Is there a way to bypass the stereo just to get power back to the Navigation system ? I have another unit installed and everything works except factory navigation. I don't want to spend $400 with beatronics just to get the Nav to work especially since I plan to use a better Nav system in the new head unit.

Thanks,
Old 01-12-16, 12:40 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 430texas
Without using the expensive Beatronics MVA-12L conversion kit is there a way to retain the factory navigation. What wires are coming from the Navigation system and what do they connect to. Is there a way to bypass the stereo just to get power back to the Navigation system ? I have another unit installed and everything works except factory navigation. I don't want to spend $400 with beatronics just to get the Nav to work especially since I plan to use a better Nav system in the new head unit.

Thanks,
Unfortunately, no. In the SC430, the radio is the "Master Unit" on the communications bus running to all the electronics in the car. The Beatsonic replicates this master interface as well as controls the amp.

You have an external AMP and in order for the volume, mutes, bass/treble/fade, etc... to function, the radio communicates over that bus to control the amp.

It's all very integrated which is why the interface is required.
The following users liked this post:
MattInLex (05-16-20)