SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Intermittent Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-12, 07:07 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

The AAA news article about E15 gasoline is interesting in that it contains 15% ethanol vs. 10% ethanol of acceptable gasoline. First off, I wonder just how accurate the 10% is on acceptable fuels and secondly, if E15 because of it's corrosive nature is not good for cars that were made before 2012, all gas stations selling this fuel should have a bright red or yellow warning sign saying this. Bottom-line E15 should not be used in 99% of cars or trucks on the road today, but something also tells me this is state specific.
Old 12-02-12, 11:22 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mark,

Wilde Lexus service has treated us very well. I could not be any happier with them.

The 2 techs who recently worked on my 430 were Chad and Eric. The service advisor we have used is Liz Gale Mussman. I have 3 Lexus cars, none of which were purchased at Wilde.

They have treated us professionally and fairly.

I recently retired as a Field Manager of Technical Services for a Fortune 500 company. I had 30 techs reporting to me, covering from Vero Beach to Key West. I am very sensitive to quality service.

Jerry
Old 12-15-12, 04:13 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT
Hum???

Just picked up my SC from the dealer. They put about 100 miles on it. The last 80 miles with a scan tool attached. They said to run the fuel out and refill with something other than the Shell I've been using. If it still is acting up then they will do Injector service to see if it helps.

When I got it back today it had 1/2 tank after they put 5 gallons in it to replenish what they used. The MPG indicator was at 20 MPG when I got it back. When I dropped it off it was at 23 MPG so they drove it hard which is fine for me.

When I drove the 20+ miles home today it performed perfectly, without any hesitation or issues at any throttle position.

JR
UPDATE;

Drove off the gas the dealer put in and it performed perfectly.
Filled up with 15 gallons of BP 93 octane, drove 308 miles and it performed perfectly
Filled up with 14 gallons go Hess 93 Octane, so far drove 300 miles and it performs perfectly.
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/flyct/sc430

I'm now reluctant to fill up with Shell.

JR
Old 12-15-12, 10:06 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by srqmark
Well after 2 years and taking my SC to multiple repair shops for the rough idle (and none of them confirmed it was the motor mounts even after I told them to check them out), I finally took my car to the Lexus dealer. Originally I took her to the dealer for a leak and found out it was the power steering pump. I told the tech that I had a rough idle when I was stopped at a light and had the A/C on and/or the headlights on (and I never mentioned anything about the motor mounts or tranny mount to the Lexus tech). After looking over my SC, he found the following:

Ball joints and control arms were shot
Leaking power steering pump
Water pump leaking (had replaced in 2010 with an aftermarket pump)
Bad motor mounts and tranny mount (the cause of the rough idle)
Leaking valve cover gaskets (had replaced in 2010 as well)

She drives like a new car, no more vibrations, the steering is tight as hell, and I couldn't be happier with how she is running and driving. My 430 now has 82,000 miles on her and I purchased her with 69,900 miles on her in November 2010.

Lexus gave me a loaner vehicle for the entire time they had my SC (1.5 weeks). I have an extended warranty from Mercury Insurance (thank god). Mercury Insurance sent a rep down to verify all the repairs and authorized all the repairs under warranty to the tune of $2,880 (My warranty only cost $2,000). I had the dealer replace the timing belt at the same time as the water pump, which I originally had the timing belt replaced with the aftermarket water pump back in 2010. My cost for the timing belt and serpentine belt plus my warranty deductible was $322.

So, after 2 years of telling mechanics to check out the motor mounts for the rough idle and all of them telling me my motor mounts were fine, I am now going to take my 430 back to the dealer from this point forward, it may be more expensive but I think it is worth it in the long run.
These continuing reports of this kind of crap going wrong with SC430's make me more and more nervous. I bought a 2007 SC430 recently with 11K miles on it and expect it to be as reliable or more so than my SC400 which now has 320K miles on it and has never had a major repair of any sort.
Old 12-15-12, 11:34 PM
srqmark
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With my SC430 going on 10 years old, being my daily driver and with over 80,000 miles on her, these were items that needed to be taken care of as with any vehicle. My problems seem to pop up all at once since I had someone who knew the 430 well enough check the car over from front to back for any problems.

When the Lexus dealer had my car for over a week, the 2012 RX350 they gave me couldn't even come close to the comfort and handling of the 430. If I ever decide to trade in my 430, it will be for a newer model SC430.

I probably won't be purchasing Shell gas either.

Last edited by srqmark; 12-15-12 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-16-12, 04:17 AM
CELSIORAS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try unleaded new petrol.
Try check a belt timing , maybe its wrong for 1 teeth or different. If all ok - check VVT-I solenoid, try remove it and clean with Ultra sound, if not have US - carb cleaner. Try connect VVT to a 12 v, and check physically frictions (some vvt solenoids have a ruber gasket inside, and this gasket jamming VVT piston inside of coilcover), if all ok, check VVT filter, maybe its jammed.
If no reasons, try connect a diagnostick software, and doit procedures. 1. check erros of ECM, 2. check life data (a/f sensors, cat temps, missfires, MAF, temp. ) 3. try activation procedures (VVT, Vapor, and others). Good luck.
Old 06-01-23, 04:44 PM
yovenim
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by srqmark
I have done hours of searching about the rough idle on the SC430. What I haven't been able to find is any information about an intermittent rough idle. I have cleaned my MAF sensor twice.

I am having my mechanic replace the radiator tomorrow because of a leak and he is also replacing the idler pulley and the belt tensioner (one of them is making a noise and thank god I purchased an extended warranty!) At the same time he will be doing a throttle body cleaning. I had my timing belt replaced as well as the water pump and had my mechanic check all the spark plugs and all were fine.

I am going to have him check the motor mounts as well. Could bad motor mounts and/or transmission mounts cause an intermittent rough idle Buy a house in Lebanon? The RPM's are fine with the AC on or off and I have used Lucas fuel treatment on this current tank of gas without any results and my next tank I will try Seafoam as suggested by my mechanic.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
i got a 1998 suburban 5.7 vortec 180000 miles only had it a couple of weeks now but im having a problem with it after its warmed up (i believe). Ill upload a video of what it sounds like and some of the data from my cheap scanner. But a bout a week ago i was driving and floored the gas pedal on the way to work, well i got to work and war idling and it starts to feellike its missing on a cylinder and then gets really rough but at this point wasn't stalling but it did have a hard time starting after i shut it off for a min.. I've got new spark plugs new ignition coil new distributor cap and rotor . in the midst of that i broke a line coming off the pcv valve hose. I replaced that also. Before i replaced that line a got a code saying bank 1 and 2 lean. I ignored that until i replaced the line. Then went to go clear the code and i see a new code. ( cam position p0341) . i replaced the sensor with a delphi sensor and had the code come back up. So i went with ac delco now. I checked fuel pressure and it was 50 keyon engine off and the same when engine is running then I also replaced the fuel filter which was clogged pretty bad hard to blow through which now i sit at about 53 psi for fuel pressure. No code again yet but then my truck had the same problem again with idling and it stalled as well. any thoughts? Fuel pump maybe ? something else?
Old 06-01-23, 05:43 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by yovenim
i got a 1998 suburban 5.7 vortec 180000 miles only had it a couple of weeks now but im having a problem with it after its warmed up (i believe). Ill upload a video of what it sounds like and some of the data from my cheap scanner. But a bout a week ago i was driving and floored the gas pedal on the way to work, well i got to work and war idling and it starts to feellike its missing on a cylinder and then gets really rough but at this point wasn't stalling but it did have a hard time starting after i shut it off for a min.. I've got new spark plugs new ignition coil new distributor cap and rotor . in the midst of that i broke a line coming off the pcv valve hose. I replaced that also. Before i replaced that line a got a code saying bank 1 and 2 lean. I ignored that until i replaced the line. Then went to go clear the code and i see a new code. ( cam position p0341) . i replaced the sensor with a delphi sensor and had the code come back up. So i went with ac delco now. I checked fuel pressure and it was 50 keyon engine off and the same when engine is running then I also replaced the fuel filter which was clogged pretty bad hard to blow through which now i sit at about 53 psi for fuel pressure. No code again yet but then my truck had the same problem again with idling and it stalled as well. any thoughts? Fuel pump maybe ? something else?
not sure a Lexus forum is going to help you much with your Chevy.
The following users liked this post:
DshngDaryl (06-04-23)
Old 06-13-23, 08:06 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,491 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
not sure a Lexus forum is going to help you much with your Chevy.
Not sure what is going on. This user made a really strange post in the 3IS forums as well. Also, this is not the first time someone has posted this exact block of text.

EDIT: I banned them. They appear to be re-posting forum posts from other sites. The other post they reposted was in the 3IS forums and was originally posted on 4runner forums back in... 2014!

Moving along...

Last edited by arentz07; 06-13-23 at 08:11 AM. Reason: update
The following users liked this post:
Bgw70 (06-15-23)