SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

HELP!!! Megan EZ's or LP's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-11, 03:19 PM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default HELP!!! Megan EZ's or LP's?

Hi, I'm just about to purchase a set of Megans... I was going for the LP's (back ordered) but the seller says I would be better with the EZ's (in stock)...

What you guys think?

LP's....EZ's..... I don't mind waiting or spending the extra $$ for the LP's if they are worth it!

HELP!!!
Old 01-29-11, 04:18 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

There's been several discussions lately concerning the Megan's. You may want to do a search. I'm not sure how anyone would answer if it's worth it unless they directly compared the two, but I haven't seen anyone dissatisfied with either the LP or EZ.

I have the EZ's and others have bought the LP's. I think we are both pleased with our choices. I saw the three biggest differences between the LP's and the EZ's were damper adjustability, the pillow ball upper mounts on the LP and the price. The EZ has 15 Levels of Adjustable Damper Strength while the LP has 32. The EZ spring rate is a hair stiffer, but you can just dial down the dampening if you want more of a stock feel, or you can bump the dampening up for more spirited driving. They both have the same height adjustments. The LP has a metal pillow mount, while the EZ uses a rubber mount like your factory struts. The pillow mount is suppose to be better for tracking because of the way that it swivels more freely, but I don't think you will notice a difference. With 96k miles, my goal was to return the feel of the ride back to its original OEM ride and lower the car 2 inches. I decided that I could accomplish that with EZ's and save $350. I'm completely satisfied with the EZ's. Good luck with your mod. You can't go wrong with the LP or EZ.
Old 01-29-11, 07:06 PM
scyul
Pole Position

Thanks Poqman, I really appreciate your input!
So for you, the $200+ difference is not worth it?
Is the height easy to adjust on the EZ or do you need to unbolt everything to make adjustments? Think I read something on the forum about that …
Old 01-29-11, 07:28 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

+1 to what poqman said...I have the LP's and if you do a search you will see at least three recent comprehensive reviews in the past several months on both.

he summarizes the differences nicely...$200 is a steal for the pillow ball technology and the added settings as well as the dampening IMO...that's why I went with the LP's.

If you think about it, unlike other mods you do on a car, these will most likely be the last coilovers/shocks you ever get...that's why I spent the extra $$$.

Send a PM to LSin75075...he can help you out as well.
Old 01-29-11, 07:33 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

OP, you're probably better off with the EZ. They're cheaper, but in a good way. Megan pillowball aren't the greatest and from many people I know who owns the LP (not SC430 specifically), they will tend to make noise over time. The rubber mounts are better in the noise department, and you'll gain nothing with the pillowball for street driving.

Damper settings are overrated to be honest. I'm willing to bet the adjustment range is practically the same for both EZ and LP, but the LP has more clicks in between. Even so, the damper should not be relied on for drastically changing the ride quality. It's a tool for fine tuning. If you find yourself needing full stiff or full soft, you've got the wrong spring rate to begin with.
Old 01-29-11, 08:03 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
OP, you're probably better off with the EZ. They're cheaper, but in a good way. Megan pillowball aren't the greatest and from many people I know who owns the LP (not SC430 specifically), they will tend to make noise over time. The rubber mounts are better in the noise department, and you'll gain nothing with the pillowball for street driving.

Damper settings are overrated to be honest. I'm willing to bet the adjustment range is practically the same for both EZ and LP, but the LP has more clicks in between. Even so, the damper should not be relied on for drastically changing the ride quality. It's a tool for fine tuning. If you find yourself needing full stiff or full soft, you've got the wrong spring rate to begin with.
Gsteg-no offense, but you should have mentioned in your review that the LP Streets were just released for the SC430 (Oct 2010, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...-a-budget.html), so as far as any "long term" reviews they don't exist.

Also, it's important to note that there are six types of Megan Coilovers out there http://www.meganracing.com/product_page.asp?catid=28, but only two are designed specifically for the SC430-the LP Streets (released 10/10) and the EZ's. These other folks you know could have the track/racking, LP Street, EZ or any of the other six models.

Just like many modifications, the more extreme you go (harder, lower), the more wear on the parts.

The IS guys seem to review them well:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-that-bad.html

If you are looking for actual reviews from owners/drivers who have the Megans on their SC430's, however, do a search.

BTW-to adjust height, you use the two perch keys sold with the set. You will need to adjust several times after the initial install, so it's helpful to have a fairly good "first shot" when you install so you don't have to turn like crazy once they are on the car. After the initial install, adjustments in height are made by taking the wheels off. Dampening adjustments are made at the top of the coilover via engine bay or trunk area.
Old 01-29-11, 08:29 PM
donsmith
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no regrets with my EZs I recently installed. I can't imagine needing any additional adjustments especially for street use. As mentioned by others, you'll be pleased with either, but IMO LPs not worth the extra cost.
Old 01-29-11, 08:38 PM
scyul
Pole Position

Thanks for the input guys! I'll do some more reading on the forum...
Old 01-30-11, 05:13 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Poqman, I really appreciate your input!
So for you, the $200+ difference is not worth it?
Is the height easy to adjust on the EZ or do you need to unbolt everything to make adjustments? Think I read something on the forum about that …
It was worth it for me. If I had a collector edition like scdroptop, then I would have gone with the top of the line. Mine is a daily drive approaching 100k miles, so second best was good enough.

+1 to what scdroptop said. Yes, the height is easy to adjust. It took me about 10 minutes per wheel to jack-up, remove wheel, loosen locking nut, make adjustment, re-tighten locking nut, reinstall wheel and drop the jack. If you have access to a lift and air tool to remove wheels, I dare say you can do all four wheels in 20 minutes.

Scdroptop is right, PM LSin75075 for a price. He's very knowledgeable also.

Last edited by Poqman; 01-30-11 at 05:24 AM.
Old 01-30-11, 07:43 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Gsteg-no offense, but you should have mentioned in your review that the LP Streets were just released for the SC430 (Oct 2010, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...-a-budget.html), so as far as any "long term" reviews they don't exist.

Also, it's important to note that there are six types of Megan Coilovers out there http://www.meganracing.com/product_page.asp?catid=28, but only two are designed specifically for the SC430-the LP Streets (released 10/10) and the EZ's. These other folks you know could have the track/racking, LP Street, EZ or any of the other six models.

You've missed the part where I said "not SC430 specifically". It doesn't matter if the car in use is an SC430 or not because Megan uses the same pillowball bearings on practically all their coilovers. It would be bad business decision to design one for each car, and you certainly won't keep the coils' pricing at a minimum. Not everyone will have noise problem, but it does occur and it's more so with the pillowball than the rubber mounts. The 2GS guys have had Megans for at least 4 years, and once in a while there is a thread about pillowball squeak and clunking.

It's not entirely Megan's fault. It's a nature of pillowball to make noise as they age, especially if they're the cheaper kinds. Dirt and debris can get between the ball and the lining and that's just a recipe for disaster. This is where rubber wins, whether you are buying from Megan or Zeal.

Megan does not make anything other than EZ or LP for any Lexus vehicles as far as I'm concerned. For a daily driver, the EZ is suitable for most people because it's quieter, cost less, and the adjustment range is practically the same as the LP.
Old 01-30-11, 11:43 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The EZ's will be more than fine.

If you want some help deciding or setting them up or want a good price, PM us