SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Another Run Flat Question Among Others

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-11, 03:40 PM
ogie33
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Run Flat Question Among Others

I am here to freely admit that I don't own a SC430, but my parents do. Unfortunatley they do zilch when it comes to vehicle maintenance (I know you buy a $60k vehicle yet don't know how to maintain it). They have a GX470 also so it's double the frustration.

Anyhow I am here mainly for the SC, because they are deciding whether they want to keep or trade in. Either way here goes. I've done some research on the run flats. My father bought the car without my knowledge (not that he needs my permission) but had I known the SC came with run flats I would've told him to stay away from those. My buddy had a nightmare with Honda and Michelin regarding their PAX tires (expensive as hell and have very short life) that came on the Touring Edition Odysseys. Either way the 2007 SC has about 25k on the ticker (yes garage queen) and the safety has been dead since October 2010 yet my mother still drives it around without having been pulled over. I drove it the other day for the very first time while taking my mum to a doctors appointment and it rode like hell. For such an expensive car I was hoping for a better ride, but no, it sounded like a friggin helicopter in the car cabin while moving. I'm advising them on investing in getting the tires changed out to standard rubber for them but before I do I have a few questions:

1. With standard tires can the factory wheels be retained? I asked because the Odyssey ones cannot when you switch from run flats to standard tires. You need new wheels and TPMS. I'm guessing the answer is yes.
2. If I do switch to standard tires, what seems to be the favorite choice amongst posters here? And if my folks do switch, what becomes of the TPMS? Do they need disabling or nothing done at all?
3. How much does the spare tire kit cost and where can I get it?
4. If my folks decide to just keep the run flats, what is a favorite choice amongst posters here?

Outside of that are there any TSB or frequent issues I need to look for or be aware of with the SC? It's a neat little car and my mother enjoys it, but understands it's not the most practical car in the world and is considering selling it. That said you might see me in the car ad section putting out feelers in the next few months.

Thanks in advance for all of your answers.
Old 03-09-11, 05:32 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok switchiing from run flats will give you less noise and much better handeling. In my opinion the Hankook Ventus v12 tires are the best on the market when it comes to performance, quality, noise, and price. Yes you can keep the rims and tire pressure sensors. You can get a spare tire kit from sewell. Google lexus + parts + sewell. Go to their site and register using your club lexus log in info and it gives you better pricing.

There is little to worry about the car, its stable just have them maintain it as needed. Definately do the tires and just a heads up this fourm does not allow "feelers".

Good luck
Old 03-09-11, 06:59 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

This is a great search topic! Please search-you will find a PLETHORA of info on here!

Short answer: Yes, you can just replace tires w/o wheels and TPMS will be fine. My vote is the Yokohama Parada Spec-X...great price, smooth ride, very cool sidewall and tread design and good for traction.
Old 03-09-11, 07:49 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used Continental Extreme Contact DW summer tires (DWS for all season). Very good tires and decent price too.

Go to tirerack.com to check tire reviews, surveys and tests.
Old 03-09-11, 09:17 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

1. With standard tires can the factory wheels be retained? YES

2. If I do switch to standard tires, what seems to be the favorite choice amongst posters here? Your going to get as many opinions as there are answers.

And if my folks do switch, what becomes of the TPMS? Do they need disabling or nothing done at all? The TPMS system and your folks will be fine. Let's hope you're not going to disable either.

3. How much does the spare tire kit cost and where can I get it? The full blown kit costs around $700 and includes cover, carpet, spare, hardware etc etc. Can be ordered through a dealer. Some just get a spare wheel off ebay.

4. If my folks decide to just keep the run flats, what is a favorite choice amongst posters here?
See number 2 above....but don't do it.
Old 03-10-11, 07:35 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

www.tires.com

read the reviews for all the tires. Pay particular attention to the owners car...compare apples to apples. What works well for one car may not for others. I like to get a diversified comparo with a luxury coupe like ours (say a G35/37), a harsher sports car (like a vette) and GT like a Mustang and a couple of luxury sporty sedans like a IS, GS or 3/5 series and see what those owners say. If they all say that they love the tire (and some of these came from RFT's like we did) then there is a good likelihood that you will too. That's what made me settle on the Yoko's originally on set number 1 of 5 I've owned. I also have other Yoko's on my 2009 FX35 and love them too. I love their mfg story and their % of error they have at their plants, etc etc. I dug deep on my research and also great prices, attractive looking tread, etc.
Old 03-10-11, 11:48 AM
ogie33
Driver School Candidate

Can't find the Yokohama Pradas on Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct.

Remember, this is my 51 year old mothers weekend car so I'm not so sure she's worried about optimum performance. The Continental DWS and Hanhook Ventus are very good prices though for the money and both have very good reviews (Continentals are on backorder as well so that should say something).

Will the TPMS need to be reset non-run flat tires are installed or is it literally just mounting, balancing and aligning and you're off?

Thanks again for everyones feedback and advice.
Old 03-10-11, 12:01 PM
bacardi
Lead Lap

i use the continentals extreme contact dws very nice tire.
Old 03-10-11, 12:16 PM
VVTiBob

Re the TPMS depends on where they were set. Different inflation value. The system looks for a drop of about 3 lbs before activating the dashboard light. Check out this thread and the pdf labeled "data" attached to comment #1 https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...n-process.html

I think your biggest issue may be the grommets or o-rings not leaking after the switch. It usually is a very slow leak exasperated by centrifugal force when the tire is in motion. There other threads on this specific issue. Good luck.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 03-10-11 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-10-11, 12:22 PM
Wheel Dr
Rookie

Many people on here have great advice,how many have actually had a flat on their sc430?I got my AAA 200 mile coverage for 130.00, extra spider wheel and spare for around 450 bucks.I rarely drive the car out of the 200 mile distance from home and if I do I pop the spare in the trunk.The bottom line is if you put that stupid little spare in your trunk and get a flat,you will then get to use the lame *** jack provided,if it works. You can drive 50 more miles and try to find a tire store to Match your other three tires.I think buying a Real spare puts you way ahead,especially if your out of town and have a flat.I don't mind if others disagree I just can't justify paying a premium for a tiny spare that is good for 50 miles at 50mph.BTW there is plenty of room for the real spare with the top up and thats how I prefer to travel in the SC long distance.
Get rid of the Run Flats, get some michelins, toss the tpms,and check your tire pressure before you take the Garage Queen for a spin,enjoy.
Ps
Get a different jack! For extra peace of mind
Old 03-10-11, 02:20 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Wheel Dr
Many people on here have great advice,how many have actually had a flat on their sc430?I got my AAA 200 mile coverage for 130.00, extra spider wheel and spare for around 450 bucks.I rarely drive the car out of the 200 mile distance from home and if I do I pop the spare in the trunk.The bottom line is if you put that stupid little spare in your trunk and get a flat,you will then get to use the lame *** jack provided,if it works. You can drive 50 more miles and try to find a tire store to Match your other three tires.I think buying a Real spare puts you way ahead,especially if your out of town and have a flat.I don't mind if others disagree I just can't justify paying a premium for a tiny spare that is good for 50 miles at 50mph.BTW there is plenty of room for the real spare with the top up and thats how I prefer to travel in the SC long distance.
Get rid of the Run Flats, get some michelins, toss the tpms,and check your tire pressure before you take the Garage Queen for a spin,enjoy.
Ps
Get a different jack! For extra peace of mind
Hi Dr,

Re: Get rid of the Run Flats, get some michelins, toss the tpms,and check your tire pressure before you take the Garage Queen for a spin,enjoy.

I would like to add a definite '+1' to that.

A comment: It does seem to me ( and I am no expert ) that the tires/wheels/TPMS/etc on this car were designed around the RFT's.

IMO the RFT's were an idea that just failed to work in the real world.

Reminds me of:

1. The PC Junior
2. New Coke
3. The Edsel

End of rant!

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Re: Get a different jack!

Got any jacks to recommend?
Old 03-10-11, 04:27 PM
Wheel Dr
Rookie

Default Jacks

Jerry I researched this awhile back and my favorite jack was the super micro jack.I don't know that it is still on the market,most sites advertise it but say it not in stock.I would like some kind of inflatible bag system for lifting the whole side of the car for wheel changes ie rotations (hate waiting at the tire store).The ez lug wrench looks like a winner for removing lugs and beats the heck out of that little lug wrench provided with our cars.Jerry, if you ever run across one of those folding bikes,they come with a bag that fits a sc430 full size spare perfectly,and it looks sharp in the trunk.
We may have to have a cruise to the coast for us Oregonians this summer,till then,I hope you never need a jack!
Old 03-10-11, 06:41 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Wheel Dr
Jerry I researched this awhile back and my favorite jack was the super micro jack.I don't know that it is still on the market,most sites advertise it but say it not in stock.I would like some kind of inflatible bag system for lifting the whole side of the car for wheel changes ie rotations (hate waiting at the tire store).The ez lug wrench looks like a winner for removing lugs and beats the heck out of that little lug wrench provided with our cars.Jerry, if you ever run across one of those folding bikes,they come with a bag that fits a sc430 full size spare perfectly,and it looks sharp in the trunk.
We may have to have a cruise to the coast for us Oregonians this summer,till then,I hope you never need a jack!
Hi Dr,

Re: We may have to have a cruise to the coast for us Oregonians this summer

Now you're talking. I'm in Beaverton, where is you?????

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Yup, if only I could find an inflatable jack. I'll have to check with some folks.

PPS) Re: one of those folding bikes,they come with a bag that fits a sc430 full size spare perfectly

I got an email some time back about a VW one; but it seems to only be available in Europe. It was an electric one, folded up for the spare tire well and you plugged it into a received in the car to keep it charged.
Old 03-10-11, 08:50 PM
VVTiBob

Is this the jack you spoke about? http://www.nocord.com/superjack.html
Old 03-10-11, 09:07 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

the pressure sensors and rims were not designed to be used with run flat tires, and run flats can be put on any rim as long as a tire is made in that size.

As far as the leaking air from replacing the tire pressure sensors goes, buy a set of 4 replacement kits on ebay its around 16 bucks, comes with all the peices that are "discardable" on the sensors. I recommend these for every time you swap your tires...tire rack offers them as well for a little more when you order tires from them.

If your mother is driving the car and she is anything like my wife she isnt going to notice a marginal difference in performance so i hear good things about the continentals but I prefer hankook....for you go with whichever cost the least and youll be more then satisfied with the outcome.

Quick Reply: Another Run Flat Question Among Others