SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Extended Warranty - Need Advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-11, 06:53 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Extended Warranty - Need Advise

The extended warranty on my 04 has expired and I am looking into getting another. I have 31,000 miles on the car. I called Lexus and they had me talk to a local dealer who sells Lexus Platium Warranties. I was quoted these prices (the miles are above what is already on the car):
$1,995 for a 2 year or 24,000 miles (whichever comes first)
$2,565 for a 3 yr. or 36,000 miles
$3,250 for a 4 yr. or 50,000 miles
$3,915 for a 5 yr. or 60,000 miles

I am interested in the experiences others have had buying extended warranties. I assume there are less expensive ones out there. What are reputable sellers others have used? I am not sure what to look for and also how long an extended warranty do people get (I am planning on keeping the car at least 3 or more years). Also, what should I make sure is covered? Is there a benefit going with the Lexus warranty?

On my previous warranty from Lexus when I got the car (certified pre-owned) it turned out that covering the seal replacement was critical because I had a trunk leak problem that took several tries to fix and was totally covered by warranty.

Appreciate any advise.
Old 01-21-11, 11:41 AM
gentouru
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I don't think you will get much out of this unless this is a SPECIAL extended service that is not common but heard of. Based on my research in the past, extended service has a maximum of 8 years and it starts on the date when the vehicle was first put into service. So my 09 with 8 years extended will end in 2017 if I buy it today. So for yours, max should be 2012. Also my price for 8 years 75k miles was only quoted for around 2k. So yours must be a special one.
Old 01-21-11, 04:31 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

My understanding is that the extended warranty they are offering starts from the date I pick it up (not the date when the vehicle was first put into service). When I got it it had the pre-owned certification which carried a 3 yr. warranty starting from the date I purchased the car. That expired this month and I thought she said if I buy a Lexus platium extended warranty it starts the day I sign the contract (since I could get a 2 yr. or 3 yr. or 4 yr or 5 yr.). The car is a 2004 so if what you say is true then the car has already exceeded even the 5 yr. extended warranty because it has been in service since 2004 (I bought it from the dealer certified in 2008).

Am I missing something here???
Old 01-21-11, 08:25 PM
gentouru
Rookie

Interesting. I guess for CPO is different. Quote below is from Lexus website if you still have factory warranty. The good thing is by adding this I can still have warranty after driving more than 50k miles. Your pricing is very high! Unless it is stating that 60K miles on top of your current mileage? If this is the case, price is fair.

3 years/80,000 miles $1,450
5 years/125,000 miles $2,650
6 years/125,000 miles $3,025
7 years/125,000 miles $3,600
8 years/125,000 miles $4,375
Old 01-22-11, 08:18 AM
Rustito
Pole Position

The quote I was given has to be miles on top of the miles I already have which is 31,000 because the quote for 2 yrs. is lower miles than I currently have, i.e., 24,000. Plus it makes sense that it would be 2 yrs. or 24,000 whichever comes first since many people drive about that much in 2 yrs. Now ofcourse I don't nor do many SC owners since this is not the primary car. So I understood it to be from the day I purchase lets say the 5 yr.it would be $3,915 to cover 5 yrs. from today or 60,000 miles (above the 31,000 that I already have) - so if I put on 60,000 miles the car would have 91,000 miles total.

Now I might be totally wrong on this so I need to call them back and confirm. But the quoted costs sounded high to me for a 2004 with only 31,000 miles on it. This is why I am checking with friends here on the forum!!
Old 01-22-11, 08:38 AM
Rustito
Pole Position

I am doing some research and I think I was wrong above. I think it would be 5 yrs. from the purchase of the warranty or when the odometer reaches 60,000 miles which means a 2 yr. warranty is not possible for me because I have already exceeded the miles. Anyone know if the Lexus Platium warranty is referring to total odometer miles?

Anyone know anything about these companies who sell extended warranties:
Warranty Direct
CARCHEX
Nationwarranty
Old 01-22-11, 10:00 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustito
The quote I was given has to be miles on top of the miles I already have which is 31,000 because the quote for 2 yrs. is lower miles than I currently have, i.e., 24,000. Plus it makes sense that it would be 2 yrs. or 24,000 whichever comes first since many people drive about that much in 2 yrs. Now ofcourse I don't nor do many SC owners since this is not the primary car. So I understood it to be from the day I purchase lets say the 5 yr.it would be $3,915 to cover 5 yrs. from today or 60,000 miles (above the 31,000 that I already have) - so if I put on 60,000 miles the car would have 91,000 miles total.

Now I might be totally wrong on this so I need to call them back and confirm. But the quoted costs sounded high to me for a 2004 with only 31,000 miles on it. This is why I am checking with friends here on the forum!!
Yes, you are correct. I bought a similar warranty last year from Lexus. My warranty is an additional 50k & 5 years (or something like that, my memory is a bit fuzzy now). I've mentioned it in a couple of threads on the forum.
Old 01-22-11, 10:19 AM
Rustito
Pole Position

Is the Lexus Platinum extended warranty a mechanical breakdown contract or a wear and tear contract?? I think on the phone they said it was NOT a wear and tear contract but can't remember. This is an impt. consideration when buying an extended warranty because if something goes they often say it was due to wear and tear and not due to breakdown. This is a potential "loophole" I was reading about. So when I had my trunk leak problems 2 yrs. ago all the work was totally covered by my certified pre-owned warranty contract, however, I am not sure the Platinum extended warranty would cover this. Not that I am anticipated more issues with the seals but if I had any roof mechanical issues would that be considered breakdown or wear and tear??
Old 01-22-11, 10:47 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

It is not a wear and tear warranty.
Old 01-22-11, 11:00 AM
Rustito
Pole Position

With a 5+ yr. old car wouldn't most of the repairs one would want covered by an extended warranty be due to wear and tear? Couldn't they easially claim that a failure is due to wear and tear vs. breakdown? I guess I am unclear how the warranty/dealer distinguishes breakdown from wear and tear in an older car. Utimately failure is breakdown of something - so how do they determine if the cause is wear and tear if the part is old? (Sorry if this sounds dumb - just learning about these warranties and it is sounding like in my situation this won't be cheap).
Old 01-22-11, 03:57 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Known issues that are covered by warranty:
ML speakers
Trunk lifts
Radio / CD player (CDs get stuck)
TPS

There are a few more that I'm not thinking of right now.

Last edited by Harold57; 01-22-11 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-22-11, 08:27 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Rustito-there is some much deeper information and lots of experiences on this topic if you search...I have chimed in many times, but I will once again and I'll try to be brief:

1) As harold said above most known issues are covered by the Platinum Warranty
top, tranny, ML system, TPS, engine and motor mounts, a/c, radiator, etc etc
2) I wouldn't go with 3rd party warranty unless your car was not eligible for Lexus ESP
3) The only way that ESP's are "added on" to the original years, or stretched out is if they are purchased at the time of the CPO Purchase. I was told this several times and it states it as well here: http://www.lexusfinancial.com/consum...tifiedOverview

Here is the Platinum Plan:
http://www.lexusfinancial.com/consum...um_VSA-05A.pdf

I'd double and triple check that quote. Others have had excellent luck negotiating as well as comparing to other Lexus Dealers. You can even buy the ESP from another Lexus Dealer as well as Toyota Dealers. I'll give you my contact at Sewell if you want: Mel Warren 214-353-2105 he sold me my 3/100k for $1750 Platinum on my 2002 that was about to expire from factory warranty.

http://www.lexusfinancial.com/consum...pg_VSAOverview

Finally, here is the pricing:

http://www.lexusfinancial.com/consum...elected=SC_430

If money was no object and you were keeping your car forever and it is a garage queen like yours/mine, then I would go with the 8 year/125k for $4425. Offer them $3500 I bet they take it!
Old 01-23-11, 07:43 AM
Rustito
Pole Position

Thanks all for the info. - this can be confusing but now I am getting a better understanding. I have also been reading threads on the forum on extended warranties. Given I didn't get an extended warranty at the time I bought my CPO my options are more limited and more expensive despite my low miles. But as you guys are saying, prices are not etched in stone so I will make some calls to Lexus dealers and try to get a better price.

Yes, my PB is now a garage queen and I plan to stick with her for a long while. She is unique in that special light blue color with ecru and black wood. Can't beat her beauty!
Old 01-24-11, 12:35 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Good luck, peace of mind is well worth it.
Old 01-25-11, 04:32 AM
tinshield
Driver School Candidate

I have only had my SC430 one year with 26,000 miles and I also did a search on this site about warranties and I went with Lexus Extra Care Platinum for 5years and 60,000 additional miles from Toby (tobytoyota@aol.com). Now since I purchased it I had to take it in form the left side mirror and they replaced the whole mirror not just the insides but the entire mirror, and as of this message I am awaiting a radio due to the fact it will not play CD so what I am saying I believe the warranty after these two repairs has paid for itself and I still have four more years to go with a piece of mind.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty - Need Advise