SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)
Old 12-15-14, 04:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Buying a SC430? SC430 Buyer's Guide-What to Look for When Buying a pre-owned SC430

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-14, 09:55 AM
Getbusy4u
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Great information if you plan to purchase an sc430

I saved sooooo much money by reading this post over and over and over again, before purchasing my 2007 SC430.... I was well informed and knew exactly what to look for, listen to, and ask questions about each time that I physically touched or test drove one. This Post Saved Me A Lot Of Money because most of the vehicles had problems mentioned in this post.
I didn't want to barter anyone down, I wanted a well maintained (documented) Low Mileage Vehicle, that was no older than 2007 and I was willing to travel if the price was right. Well I found one in Long Island, NY. With less than 39K on the odometer it was by far the best deal I found in 1 year of really looking for this car, so I paid a company to inspect it for me before I traveled to see it personally. Needless to say the second owner was younger than I and wanted something more sporty then the SC430, he'd only put 5K on it since purchasing it 5 years ago, and wanted to dump the SC for a convertible benz....... I got the SC for 20K cash, an I attribute this post for helping me pull off that maneuver, because without all the information I learned from this post I would've missed out on this deal, and purchased an SC430 with all kinds of hidden damage! Thank You scdroptop This "Post Is Still Working Wonders" Glad I read it and put what I learned from this post to work https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...60384_0018.jpg
Old 08-10-14, 09:44 AM
rlp1949
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bluetooth in SC models

I am beginning a search for an SC 430. First of all, my compliments to the author of this section! This is the best write up of this sort I've seen anywhere.

I am having trouble figuring out Bluetooth cell phone capability in different model years. I know Bluetooth streaming did not happen until the later years. That's easy to resolve with after-market products. However, factory cell Bluetooth is usually superior to after-market products. When did the SC's start coming with cell Bluetooth? 2005, 2006, 2007 or 2008??? The Lexus model specs refer to Bluetooth being included in 2005 navigation voice-activated DVD or something like that. I'm not sure what that means: Something for nav only or phone use as well?

How well does the cell Bluetooth work? This applies to the top being in the up position, since background noise seriously affects sound quality. We had a 2011 Infinity G37X Coupe and the Bluetooth was terrible. The awful Bluetooth and transmission prompted us to get rid of this car. The Bluetooth in our Lincoln MKX is outstanding.

Thank you for any insights the members can share!
Old 08-10-14, 02:00 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Bluetooth was available in the 2005 model sc430. You can voice activate some things like audio. limited navigation commands ask for POI. There is a button on the steering wheel that you press and the ask for what you want. It kind of works I dont find it that useful. Others may chime in.
Old 08-11-14, 01:45 PM
ahxks1
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I installed a Parrot Bluetooth on my 2003 SC. It's better than the factory Bluetooth that came out in 2005 because the Parrot allows me to stream music wirelessly from my smart device. The factory Bluetooth does not. I'm selling my SC, but I had a lot of good times with the car being able to play the music I want at my fingertips, as an alternative to listening to the same six CDs in the ML stereo. I can even listen to a YouTube video on my iPhone through The car stereo. The phone conversation sound quality is better than the factory set up too.
Old 10-23-14, 10:03 PM
ktdsc430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by duke1622
I think I can get the car for $19,500.
AT 19,500.00 I sure hope you bought it. If not is it still for sale. Heck I can get another one in my garage!!
Old 10-26-14, 10:22 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Great thread! I'm active on the LS460 Section and in the market for an SC430. I took a look at 2002 silver with black interior. Has 132k and they are asking 10,500 plus tax and license. So approx 11,800. I offered 10,500 out the door. Good deal? They don't have any idea if the timing belt was changed. I looked up the vin and it doesn't show major services done at the dealer. Minor things were done from 2002-2005. Then it shows up again with work done in 2012. That doesn't mean it wasn't done...just not at the dealer. As of right now I think I must assume it wasn't. Drives good but steering feels quite heavy. Once I get one it won't stay stock for long. Wheels, air suspension, and kit are planned. I want to make a educated decision. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 10-29-14, 10:25 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by lbintab
Great thread! I'm active on the LS460 Section and in the market for an SC430. I took a look at 2002 silver with black interior. Has 132k and they are asking 10,500 plus tax and license. So approx 11,800. I offered 10,500 out the door. Good deal? They don't have any idea if the timing belt was changed. I looked up the vin and it doesn't show major services done at the dealer. Minor things were done from 2002-2005. Then it shows up again with work done in 2012. That doesn't mean it wasn't done...just not at the dealer. As of right now I think I must assume it wasn't. Drives good but steering feels quite heavy. Once I get one it won't stay stock for long. Wheels, air suspension, and kit are planned. I want to make a educated decision. Any input would be appreciated.
...in my opinion that would be a good deal,if you could get it for that price. When I bought mine,there was a service gap of about 40k, that wasn't accounted for. I split the difference in the mileage,then started to do the maintenance up to the mileage that was on the odometer when i purchased it. If the belt was changed, it should have a new water pump & possibly pulleys also,I don't know if it would be visibly noticeable. Either way, for the money you're saving, you could have the timing belt done.....good luck in your search
Old 11-02-14, 12:09 PM
alexmoore
Driver School Candidate

Default Buying A Lexus SC-430 Pebble Beach Edition w/ 111K miles

My family owns one lexus and it is already at the 145k mile mark. It runs very well and we've never had an issue with it.

I am looking to buy a Lexus for my fiance as it seems they are very reliable and hold value well.

I came across what I know would be his dream car, a 2005 Pebble Editon SC-430. It is absolutely beautiful and only a few hours away from where we reside.

That being said, it's got 111K miles on it with a price tag of 21K. All maintenance has been done already and the vehicle is in excellent condition.

Is the car worth this price? The KBB is incredibly low, and I can't find the option for PB in nada guides.

As you are all the experts, please inform me as to whether it is a good idea to buy the car at 111K miles for $21,000.00.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-03-14, 09:35 PM
Grizzly1
Driver School Candidate

I think it is way over priced. But, something if worth only what someone is willing to pay. KBB is just a tool, a guide. What does http://edmunds.com say? Another good tool. I just purchased a 2002 w 56k mi for $12. I think I got a real good deal. I love it and and am thrilled. Best of luck to you.

Last edited by Grizzly1; 11-03-14 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-01-15, 04:02 AM
dommo25
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm from Australia but there seems to be no local fora like this (well, not any more) and I'm just busting to share. After narrowing my search down to 3, I went with a 2003 model.

Mechanic's report came back positive. In fact, the guy came across as a little bored - I'm guessing brakes and tires are about all he can find fault with on Lexus's.

My contribution to scdroptop's excellent post (thanks mate!) - my car had a blown driver's side mid-range speaker which was just producing pure distortion. Dealer agreed to fix (and service the car, fit new tires and brake pads, hee hee). Cranking up the music on the way home I noticed another speaker was distorting a little. So make sure you put your ear to ALL the speakers.

The car is absolutely amazing. I just love it! The only other thing I can find fault with is very slight wind noise emanating from somewhere close to the driver's side pillar. Only becomes noticeable in excess of 60mph so I'm not that bothered. Otherwise, I'm in heaven.
Old 07-04-15, 03:14 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by dommo25
I'm from Australia but there seems to be no local fora like this (well, not any more) and I'm just busting to share. After narrowing my search down to 3, I went with a 2003 model.

The only other thing I can find fault with is very slight wind noise emanating from somewhere close to the driver's side pillar. Only becomes noticeable in excess of 60mph so I'm not that bothered. Otherwise, I'm in heaven.
Welcome to CL,
If you want to eliminate the wind noise, the answer is here...https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...d-noise-3.html

What's New for 2003
Other than the Lexus Link emergency and concierge service becoming available, there are no changes for the SC 430.

What's New for 2004
There are no significant changes to the SC 430 this year, though Lexus will offer a Pebble Beach Edition package, which includes Azure Pearl exterior paint, black bird's eye maple interior trim, run-flat tires, a rear spoiler and a black leather golf bag.

What's New for 2005
The 2005 SC 430 receives new shock absorbers for improved ride comfort and driving performance. Bluetooth was added, making radio upgradeable for bluetooth media connections on smartphones (earlier 2005 production model may not be compatible). All-season run-flat tires are now an available option in addition to the summer-use run-flats offered previously.

What's New for 2006
For 2006, major update in drivetrain with a new six-speed automatic transmission. Redesigned suspension for improved ride. Factory Xenon HID lighting with adaptive front headlamps. Updated exterior styling includes a new front fascia, wheels and taillamps. Inside, the SC gets a new gauge cluster, shift plate and revised trim.

What's New for 2007
Driver and passenger knee airbags are standard this year, and the front passenger seat now has an occupant detection sensor for airbag deactivation.

What's New for 2008
Now entering its seventh year, this generation of the Lexus SC 430 sees just a few detail changes for 2008. Among them are redesigned and illuminated scuff plates, a black license plate accent and new wheels for the Pebble Beach edition.

What's New for 2009
The 2009 Lexus SC 430 remains unchanged from the previous year except for the addition of turn signals integrated into the side mirrors.

What's New for 2010
The 2010 Lexus SC 430 gets fresh 18-inch alloy wheels, puddle lamps in the exterior mirrors, and an updated navigation/audio interface with a tweaked display, real-time traffic and weather, satellite radio, iPod/USB connectivity and Bluetooth audio.

Last edited by Bgw70; 08-25-18 at 09:30 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bgw70:
JohnSenior (11-02-21), TitanG545 (06-25-19)
Old 09-27-15, 05:20 AM
summer75
Driver School Candidate

Question When is it too many miles to purchase a SC430

All,

I am in the market for a SC430. It will be a second car for me as I have a Honda Pilot for my everyday driving. Looking at the market today I am finding a few with mileage above 100,000, e.g.

year is 2002 at 111,000 miles with a price of $14,900 US
year is 2005 at 167,000 miles with a price of $12,900 US

Questions:

I know the life of a car is dependent on how well it is maintained. If good maintenance is a given what can I realistic expect for the life of a car with over 100,000 miles? I have always wanted a SC430 and therefore would purchase with a plan to keep.

Thanks,

Summer75
Old 09-27-15, 09:00 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by summer75
All,

I am in the market for a SC430. It will be a second car for me as I have a Honda Pilot for my everyday driving. Looking at the market today I am finding a few with mileage above 100,000, e.g.

year is 2002 at 111,000 miles with a price of $14,900 US
year is 2005 at 167,000 miles with a price of $12,900 US

Questions:

I know the life of a car is dependent on how well it is maintained. If good maintenance is a given what can I realistic expect for the life of a car with over 100,000 miles? I have always wanted a SC430 and therefore would purchase with a plan to keep.

Thanks,

Summer75
....welcome to the forum....I have 224k on my 2002 Sc & haven't had any major issues. I try to do all the regular maintenance that have been recommended. The only "unexpected" things that have occurred....#1) replaced a leaking radiator....#2) replaced a a/c compressor....#3) replaced an alternator, with 224k mile, I can live with that. If you decide on either car you mentioned, check to see if the timing belt,water pump,etc...have been changed. If they haven't, this should be your first service done.I also once owned a Ls400 & put 315k miles on it,before I sold it, so these cars can be very dependable....good luck in your search
Old 11-14-15, 11:44 AM
rmckinleys
Driver School Candidate

What a wonderful post. Thanks so much!
Old 11-14-15, 04:46 PM
summer75
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by texsexlex
....welcome to the forum....I have 224k on my 2002 Sc & haven't had any major issues. I try to do all the regular maintenance that have been recommended. The only "unexpected" things that have occurred....#1) replaced a leaking radiator....#2) replaced a a/c compressor....#3) replaced an alternator, with 224k mile, I can live with that. If you decide on either car you mentioned, check to see if the timing belt,water pump,etc...have been changed. If they haven't, this should be your first service done.I also once owned a Ls400 & put 315k miles on it,before I sold it, so these cars can be very dependable....good luck in your search
Thanks for your reply. I just picked up a 2006 SC430 with 99,999 miles, one owner, all records showing every 5k maintenance done at the dealer which in this case was Woodfield Lexus of Illinois. This include water pump and timing belt replacement. The car is in excellent condition.

Matador Red with Ecru/Linen leather interior, Bluetooth was also standard for this year. It looked as good as the ....

White SC430 2008 for $28K
Black SC430 2010 for $32K

Price $16,700. So all in all pleased with my purchase and with the way we were treated at the dealer. We were able to negotiate a zero deductible, 3 year/36,000 mile gold service contract for $2200. I must say my wife insisted on it. In 2016 I am, looking forward to some spring and summer cruising.

I will say Google and the Forum threads were a immense help. In addition, I was patient and waited to find the car that was right for me.

Big thanks to all the contributors on this forum.

Summer75

Quick Reply: Buying a SC430? SC430 Buyer's Guide-What to Look for When Buying a pre-owned SC430