SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

CD Changer broken :^<

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-10, 07:07 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cyberlexus
Thanks again to all of you for all the help. I got the group buy discount - the discount paid for the freight to Hawaii!
Old 12-29-10, 05:38 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Which part of the dash did you smack?
I had the same problem, so I hit the leather on the right side of the changer.
FIXED!
I think you could hit the left side and it would work just as well.
Cheapest fix I've ever had on my SC!

Assuming I'd have to take the unit apart, I bought a Vais Tech SLU today at the group buy price. Sweet deal -- can't wait to bring the car's audio into the 21st century.
Old 12-29-10, 07:47 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Which part of the dash did you smack?
Smacked right in the center above the cd slot. One smack and the "Eject" message came on, and the disk popped out. All the other disks started working after that.
Old 04-09-12, 10:26 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Hitting in the area you mentioned...I shall try tonight.
Old 04-09-12, 10:42 AM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I just put a CD in my (now) 10yo changer, and I got an ERROR 1. So I tried to get it back using the bang method, followed by turning it off and on, and hitting EJECT and LOAD.

Result? The changer now thinks there's NO DISC in it! :crap:
I don't think I want to put another into Disc 1 to see what it will do.
I may end up with plastic shavings shot at me.

So I'll be searching the forum to see if I can extract it myself.
Years ago in my SC400, Lexus told me they'd have to ship the unit back to Japan for extraction and I'd get them back in the mail. I did -- badly scratched.

I'm not saying that the bang method caused it.
I hesitated to put a disc in a player of its age and had been through the 2011 Texas bake cycle.
Oh well.
Old 04-09-12, 11:33 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

In my research through our CL forums, this CD changer issue kept on coming up, even granting the use of CD-R’s and the labels was the majority of the root cause for failed and jammed CD’s.

As I mentioned in another post, Lexus made a huge mistake in contracting with Pioneer (at least for our SC430’s) to design their disc changer. The changer normally can not recover after some fatal errors.

And the ultimate question is why Lexus was so slow in updating-upgrading their sound system, for example the famous lack of an audio input.

Just venting.
Old 12-30-12, 10:34 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RodF
Smacked right in the center above the cd slot. One smack and the "Eject" message came on, and the disk popped out. All the other disks started working after that.
My 2002 SC430 displayed the CD error3 code, back in November. The outside temp was often in the 90's in Florida. I took it to the dealer, they would not even touch it, they said replace it @ $400.00. I declined. No CD Player Sucks!

I waited until tonight 12/31/2012 to troubleshoot it while the temperature is in the 40's. This way the internal mechanisms are in there most contracted state temperature wise.
  1. Turned on the car and sound system, selected CD (error3 code on the display).
  2. I gently inserted a "letter opener" half-way into the CD slot, moved it to the far left-side and quickly but gently jostled the handle up and down several times, then same on the far-right side.
  3. After about 2 minutes repeating the motions... I heard the internal mechanism activate.
  4. I quickly extracted the letter-opener, a CD loaded and began to play. Yay!
I then tested it buy unloading it and fully loading it and playing CD's.

Error3: CD Changer Jammed
Known Fix: Physical Agitation may un-jam CD Changer

Error3 gone!
$400 Saved on a cool night!

Happy New Year!
Attached Thumbnails CD Changer broken :^&lt;-sc22.jpg  

Last edited by Radical350; 12-30-12 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-19-13, 05:53 PM
DENNISLOGA
Driver School Candidate

Disconnect your battery and let it sit for an hour. Your CD will reset and work fine. When you do this procedure you will need to reset your automatic memory seat buttons by tilting the bottom forward until you hear a beep and doing the same with the tilt. This fixed my stuck CD.
Old 01-19-13, 06:00 PM
DENNISLOGA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by antigeek
I had the same problem, so I hit the leather on the right side of the changer.
FIXED!
I think you could hit the left side and it would work just as well.
Cheapest fix I've ever had on my SC!

Assuming I'd have to take the unit apart, I bought a Vais Tech SLU today at the group buy price. Sweet deal -- can't wait to bring the car's audio into the 21st century.
Disconnect your battery and let it sit for an hour. Your CD will reset and work fine. When you do this procedure you will need to reset your automatic memory seat buttons by tilting the bottom forward until you hear a beep and doing the same with the tilt. This fixed my stuck CD.
Old 01-21-13, 01:10 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
If the problem is just a stuck cd. My other car is an Acura RL and reading on their forum about stuck cd's. I tried this on a friends car that had stuck cd's and it worked. Turn on the radio, press cd button, hold down the eject button and give the dash above the radio a good smack. My friend was amazed when the cd popped out. Hope it works for you!!!
That's great advice, I will try if I need it in the future !!
Old 08-20-14, 03:43 PM
madammarva
Driver School Candidate

Smile Error 4 on CD player

Originally Posted by Freds430
If the problem is just a stuck cd. My other car is an Acura RL and reading on their forum about stuck cd's. I tried this on a friends car that had stuck cd's and it worked. Turn on the radio, press cd button, hold down the eject button and give the dash above the radio a good smack. My friend was amazed when the cd popped out. Hope it works for you!!!
Keep getting error 4 message on my Lexus SC 430 CD player. Couldn't play or eject discs. I Tried your 'smacking the dash' fix & it worked!!! Thanks
Old 08-20-14, 04:14 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by madammarva
Keep getting error 4 message on my Lexus SC 430 CD player. Couldn't play or eject discs. I Tried your 'smacking the dash' fix & it worked!!! Thanks
Yup.

For the level of class the SC exudes, the "smack the dash" remedy is quite brute but efficient.