SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Map/Dome Light Replacement??!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-10, 03:10 PM
jerzylexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Map/Dome Light Replacement??!!

I searched but could not find a clear answer for this. My map lights burnt out not too long ago..so I decided to go with LED replacements. I ordered a pair of 3175 led festoon style bulbs because that is what all of the online bulb guides were calling for. I popped open the lens to see a completely different bulb there than what i was told to get. Eventually, I said screw the LED and took the factory bulb to autozone for a regular replacement and THEY couldn't even tell me what bulb it was as they have the same guide everyone else uses. can anyone tell me how to get a proper LED replacement or even what the factory bulb is?
Old 12-19-10, 03:50 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Yep the Sylvania Automotive Guide is wrong... I believe they are BA9S 12V automotive bulbs. When I replaced mine last year, the LEDs came in a kit with multiple connector types. Since then the Chinese have developed/engineered new bayonet type LEDs. You can easily find them on a google search. Here is a photo of mine one with and without the lens in place. They are much brighter than the standard incandescent bulb and, of course, produce much whiter light. None of yellow cast that comes from incandescent bulbs.
Attached Thumbnails Map/Dome Light Replacement??!!-map-light.jpg  

Last edited by VVTiBob; 12-19-10 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-22-10, 10:47 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Bob,
Do the LED dome lights generate a harsher light? That is one reason my wife doesn't care for the LED lights in general, is that their light tends to be harsher than the "soft white" incandescents.
Old 12-23-10, 12:39 PM
VVTiBob

Harsher? Well in my opinion, if you had them installed side by side, you'd never call the light cast by incandescent bulb "white" any longer. It has a distinct yellow cast.

I suppose that would be the preference of, or the eye of, the beholder. The light is much "bluer" than your typical incandescent bulb. So if you're used to yellowish light the light emitted by the LED will be brighter and MUCH whiter depending the bulb or panel (like I installed) you use. Personally, I like the whiter and brighter light. As I've gotten older it seems I need brighter lights to see and read items. But I can understand how you wouldn't want to replace the vanity mirror lamps with bright white LEDs.

I know they have "softer" white light LEDs but those are usually for room lighting. I don't think there is an option for these with newer bayonet automotive bulbs yet.

LEDs are very interesting devices. The depth of the pit the electrons falls into determines the color of the photon released, so there are what could be described as an infinite number of colors available so demand will dictate the market.
Old 12-23-10, 02:41 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

I like the white LED lights also. My eyes are getting weaker also.
Old 12-24-10, 05:17 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
if you're used to yellowish light the light emitted by the LED will be brighter and MUCH whiter depending the bulb or panel (like I installed) you use. Personally, I like the whiter and brighter light.
+1, LED let's you actually see things inside the car
Old 12-24-10, 05:42 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Is this a plug and play set up? Ebay?
Old 12-24-10, 07:11 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea, plug and play. I quickly grabbed these links from eBay, you may want to look more in depth. ijdmtoy.com is my favorite LED company. Something like this or this would work. Just make sure it is BA9S (my personal preference is SMD).
Old 02-05-11, 08:11 PM
baboya96
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

I didn't find any package deal (interior light or license plate) on ijdmtoy.com for 2004 SC430. Where else can I find this?
Old 08-27-13, 09:06 AM
shshampton
Driver School Candidate

Can you tell me how to remove the lens cover on the sc430 coutesy light.
Old 08-27-13, 10:29 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Check my post on this thread from 8/17 (last post as of today).
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...t-bulbs-2.html
The following users liked this post:
ivanj (04-24-19)
Old 03-14-18, 02:40 PM
RZPhyxit
Driver School Candidate

Default Updated info/source for LED replacement Dome/Map light?

Harsher? Well in my opinion, if you had them installed side by side, you'd never call the light cast by incandescent bulb "white" any longer. It has a distinct yellow cast.

I suppose that would be the preference of, or the eye of, the beholder. The light is much "bluer" than your typical incandescent bulb. So if you're used to yellowish light the light emitted by the LED will be brighter and MUCH whiter depending the bulb or panel (like I installed) you use. Personally, I like the whiter and brighter light. As I've gotten older it seems I need brighter lights to see and read items. But I can understand how you wouldn't want to replace the vanity mirror lamps with bright white LEDs.

I know they have "softer" white light LEDs but those are usually for room lighting. I don't think there is an option for these with newer bayonet automotive bulbs yet.

LEDs are very interesting devices. The depth of the pit the electrons falls into determines the color of the photon released, so there are what could be described as an infinite number of colors available so demand will dictate the market.
Ahhh Bob; Here you are again with helpful information on my 2002 SC430... The drivers side map light is out. I would like to replace it, and the passenger light with functional brightness. I read how to pop the lens off, now.... what Google search/sources to get a bulb that I can easily put plug in and work? I got intimidated by the "reverse polarity" issues and the styles of bases (bayonet, etc) Remember, I need Dummy 101 on SC430
Old 03-14-18, 04:02 PM
VVTiBob

Reverse polarity for LED bulbs just means they are sensitive to positive and negative poles. So, if the LED didn’t lite when turned on, just reseat it 180 degrees.
Old 03-15-18, 08:48 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

So, if the LED didn’t lite when turned on, just reseat it 180 degrees.
Not true for the case of SC430. You do need a reverse polarity LED bulb.
Old 03-15-18, 09:42 AM
VVTiBob

As I said, by reseating the LED you reverse the polarity on my installation. Look, you have a 50-50 chance of installing the LED correctly in the first place. I suppose if you get it wrong the first time, then reseating the LED 180 degrees will work because the reseating of it reversed the flow of electricity to the LED. This link may clarify my unclear statement; https://blog.birddogdistributing.com...oubleshooting/

When I replaced my old bulbs in 2010 with LED panels (as shown above). They came with options, i.e. fittings that easily reversed. Nowadays, LEDS are common so finding the correct replacements is easier.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 03-15-18 at 10:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Map/Dome Light Replacement??!!