SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2002 sc430 rear sub issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-10, 05:22 PM
oneforu2c
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2002 sc430 rear sub issue

Hello all, happy hoildays to you alll !!!! I have a 2002 sc, that when the radio is on and i open the rear trunk i can hear the rear (what i think is the sub) sub sounding like it is blown... if this is so where is it located and can i use another manufacture for the replacement of the ML system... your help is greatly appreciated
Old 12-09-10, 05:56 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Go to this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...enna-woes.html and grab the PDFs in the third comment... your only issue will be the 8ohm speakers
Old 12-10-10, 04:06 AM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread has everything you could ever ask for about the SC430 speakers, sub etc. How to replace. What to replace with. Wiring details etc. etc.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...all-sc430.html
Old 12-10-10, 10:05 PM
m3nv
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sound system in the SC is crap... they always end up blowing
Old 12-11-10, 09:14 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Agreed. If you have the cash, it would be nice to replace everything. My dream system would be Boston Acoustic for the two smallest sets speakers, Polk audio for the smaller front doors and infinity kappas in the rear powered by a JL sub and amp.
Old 12-11-10, 11:26 AM
Jace_91
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know what the max depth you can go with the subwoofer is?
Old 12-14-10, 01:18 PM
donsmith
Rookie

I'm in the process of replacing my speakers. I removed all the panels and seat cushions to remove the speaker drivers. These speakers really are a piece of crap. I've seen heavier magnets on kid's toys. I can't imagine people rebuilding these by replacing the foam, etc. If they're a piece of crap to begin with, you'll have a bigger piece of crap when you're done. I have ordered the DC Gold as mentioned by many others for the front speakers.

The sub is extremely wimpy also. There is some depth, however, the hole is encumbered upon the bottom side by some metal support for the trunk. A speaker with any larger magnet hits this metal at the bottom. The 8" 16 ohm woofer I purchased has a much bigger magnet and will not fit into the stock hole using the same mounting hardware. To answer an earlier question, it's not so much the depth as much as the diameter of the magnet. However, it seems fairly easy to construct a raised mount (think of a giant washer) to move the woofer towards the inside of the car. There seems to be enough space carved out of the seat back cushion to allow this. I'll know more in the next couple days as I refinish mine.
Old 12-14-10, 10:10 PM
Jace_91
Pole Position

Thanks don let us know your outcome, I purchased an 8" kicker 4ohm sub (im going to bypass the amp for the subwoofer) that I'm hoping will fit in there, its only 4-1/4" deep but took the trunk and back seat apart today to see what in was working with and can see where you would run into toublr if. Magnet is too big diameter wise. Speakers should be here soon will lt you know.
Old 12-16-10, 02:41 PM
donsmith
Rookie

OK, I'm going to have to eat crow on my earlier post. The new sub driver's magnet was way to big to fit in the stock opening. No problem, just make a spacer ring to bring the sub out, right? Well, I connected the new driver up to check it out and it barely moved, hardly any sound at all. The amp is way under powered for this new driver. So I involved the help from a local shop that obviously knows what they're doing (at least more than I do) and they said there is no driver they know that will work. They suggested either changing out the amp and driver (which is what some have done), buy a new driver from Lexus, OR send the driver to be re-built. I was reluctant about a rebuild, but once I visited the reconing store, I was convinced he could re-build it better than original. He not only replaces the foam, but also the cone itself. I dropped it off yesterday and should be able to pick it up tomorrow <insert embarrassed face here >
Old 12-17-10, 07:14 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by donsmith
OK, I'm going to have to eat crow on my earlier post. The new sub driver's magnet was way to big to fit in the stock opening. No problem, just make a spacer ring to bring the sub out, right? Well, I connected the new driver up to check it out and it barely moved, hardly any sound at all. The amp is way under powered for this new driver. So I involved the help from a local shop that obviously knows what they're doing (at least more than I do) and they said there is no driver they know that will work. They suggested either changing out the amp and driver (which is what some have done), buy a new driver from Lexus, OR send the driver to be re-built. I was reluctant about a rebuild, but once I visited the reconing store, I was convinced he could re-build it better than original. He not only replaces the foam, but also the cone itself. I dropped it off yesterday and should be able to pick it up tomorrow <insert embarrassed face here >
Some of us who have already gone the repair route have weighed the cost of driver replacements and required upgrades and decided that we'd rather spend the money elsewhere. Even though the ML system isn't particularly high-powered, when it's all working it is musically accurate and for the average listener it has enough power for the small cabin volume. I think you'll be satisfied with your choices. However, those who need to rattle the body panels of the surrounding vehicles in traffic will need to go in another direction.
Old 12-17-10, 08:55 AM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by donsmith
Do you have a picture of the new driver installed with the spacer? Also how thick was your spacer? I'm trying to determine if I can fit a Sundown SA-8 in there lol.

Old 12-17-10, 10:13 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Holy crap!!

On the plus side, you'll increase your winter traction with that thing installed!
Old 12-17-10, 12:16 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

YIKES... that's not a sub woofer...it looks more like a rocket motor nozzle from a former eastern block country...
Old 12-17-10, 09:03 PM
donsmith
Rookie

That's funny, I can't imagine the amp necessary to power that thing. If you're remotely serious, you would need a spacer ring about the depth of the speaker, but then it wouldn't fit using the stock seat back. The driver I purchased needed about an inch spacer to make it work. But I sent the speaker back today. I also picked up my rebuilt ML today. It's just like new and will probably last a lot longer than the original, it works and sounds as good as I need it to.
Old 12-18-10, 12:10 AM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I am serious, just had no idea how much room is actually behind the mounting wall. I'll pop my covers off and have a peek in the near future. I've been wanting to do it for a while now, but don't want a box in the trunk or rear seat, so replacing the existing one is my only option. Could always reverse mount it and cut a hole in the seat haha.

Quick Reply: 2002 sc430 rear sub issue