SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Did something STUPID today!

Old 08-02-02, 09:01 PM
TOPLEXS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Did something STUPID today!

Half way through raising my top, I decided I needed something out of the trunk. (some of you are already ahead of me). I let go of the top up button, and reached down and pushed the trunk release. OOPS! I now realized that I had unhinged the trunk lid, both in front and in the back. Feeling like a dummy I sat there for a few moments considering what I had done. I got out and went to the back, and sure enough the trunk was sprung open, and the top was 1/2 way up. I gingerly pushed down to close the trunk, and it would not close. Gathering up some courage, I pushed down harder on the trunk, and it closed, but was not happy about it.
I put the top the rest of the way up, and everything seemed fine. It has been up and down several times since then, and seems back to normal. I feel I have dodged a bullet. All is once again well in my world.
Old 08-03-02, 03:40 AM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL. I'm just remembering when this happened to me. I was frantic. Actually my girlfriend, who wasn't in a state of shock as I was, figured it out. I already had the damn manual out and was ready to call the lexus help #. LOL. I can't stop laughing @ myself. Yes the rest of you can have a good laugh @ my expense. Glad you figured it out and didn't act as I did.

MAC
Old 08-03-02, 04:24 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

With all the other checks that are built into this car, I'm surprised the trunk latch even works while the top is in motion.

And, speaking of motion, does the top up/down button work when the car is in motion? Who wants to try it and let us know.
Old 08-03-02, 04:35 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mac,

This is kinda bad but I just realized what your handle spells out. Did you get that time in the GS or the SC?

Overclocker
Old 08-03-02, 07:47 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by 1NICESC430
With all the other checks that are built into this car, I'm surprised the trunk latch even works while the top is in motion.

And, speaking of motion, does the top up/down button work when the car is in motion? Who wants to try it and let us know.
No, it doesnt work, ive been on the highway and its started to rain so I pull over, slam on the brakes and hit it...nothing will happen i have pulled up on a drive through though while the roof was closing...about 2-3mph.

I wish it was like that car from the tv show Viper, you hit a button at like 80mph and the roof just disappears.....lol
Old 08-04-02, 06:01 PM
TOPLEXS
Driver

Believe the top will operate at speeds below 8 mph. If you are driving faster than that, think you need to come to a full stop before it will lower. I often am lowering my top as I back out of my garage. It is fully down as I reach the street. Neighbors get a chuckle out of this. I start the lowering while I am stopped, and then slowly back out of the garage. I was careful that the top did not raise high enough so it cleared the garage door. The more I drive this car the more I like it.
If there was not a speed sensitive interlock the top indeed would act like the morphing viper on TV. If you began to open it at 89 mph it would be "instantly gone." (could only do this trick once however.)
Old 08-04-02, 06:57 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts
Wink

I thought it was supposed to work as an emergency air brake....
Old 08-06-02, 05:50 AM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

over,

I got the time in................the GS brochure when I bought the car. I have not been able to dyno the GS with the mods or test either in the 1/4. I wish there were more resources here on Guam.

MAC

Last edited by 0260n5.7; 08-06-02 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-06-02, 02:19 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default doh!

I pulled this stunt myself but felt too stupid to post about it here.. glad someone else had the guts to do it! I fixed it the same way (pushing back down). ...and all has been fine every since!
Old 08-06-02, 02:49 PM
stevelaw
Driver

Default Me too - but worse

I too have done this, but rather than doing it in the comfort and privacy of my own home, I did it in the arrival area of the Ritz Carlton Hotel in Palm Beach, Fl. Needless to say, I really impressed everyone standing there watching the idiot with his new car!!!
Old 08-06-02, 03:22 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

stevelaw ...

Reminds me of the first time I ever tried to golf. From the 9th tee, I managed to send the ball to the 1st fairway where there were about three thousand (or so it seemed) people there watching me try to hit that damn thing back to the 9th fairway.

Many years have passed and the only golf I have played since was the kind where you have to miss the windmill blades.
Old 08-06-02, 04:51 PM
stevelaw
Driver

Talking

I still try to play golf. Are you implying that there's something wrong with hitting the ball from the 9th tee to the 1st fairway? My theory always has been that as long as its in a fairway, I really don't care which one. Guess I need to change my course strategy...............

BTW - the rear area of the trunk (with the top down) is actually a perfect fit for a golf bag. I didn't believe it until I tried it!!
Old 08-07-02, 05:48 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Well, I eat more than I play golf (it shows) and found that there's just enough room in the "trunk" with the top down for four grocery bags.
Old 08-07-02, 11:52 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default yup..

I got a golf bag with all the clubs in the trunk! I can vouch for that too!!! BUT don't try to keep any covers on your woods! -it won't fit that way!
Old 10-16-02, 06:53 PM
rscharf
Driver

Smile NHTSA TSB for fixing operator error!

Here's how your supposed to get your car/trunk/roof back together if you inadvertently open/close your roof and pop the rear of the trunk at the same time:

http://www.nhtsa.com/TSBScans/sb622195.pdf

Robert

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Did something STUPID today!