SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

There must be, by now, a smoother riding run flat...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-10, 06:30 PM
driftway
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There must be, by now, a smoother riding run flat...

I know there are many threads on how to replace the run flat, but I want run flats. I keep golf clubs in the trunk.
My rf's are bare and I would need to order 4 run flats that have a smoother ride and longer lasting tread. It's 2010, they must have solved the problem!
How about Dunlop 5000s?
thanks

-Run Flat Lover
Old 11-29-10, 07:00 PM
KBALL
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember reading several folks say theyve switched to the michelin pilot a/s plus runflats and prefer them by far.

Have you read reviews on tirerack? May help.
Old 11-30-10, 03:50 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got the Dunlops, not real impressed. Rides very rough, but not as rough as it did with the stock springs.
Old 11-30-10, 05:38 AM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

I think the rough ride has more to do with the sispension design. I test drove a BMW 3 series that had runflats and it was in no way as harsh as my SC 430 when I had the runflats. I love the Michelin Pilot A/S Plus non runflats that I put on the car. I carry the space saver spare with me on long trips.
Old 11-30-10, 07:26 AM
KBALL
Pole Position

I also have the pilot A/S plus non runflats and love them. No spare either. I'm using the cross-my-fingers method.
Old 11-30-10, 09:03 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Runflats are engineered with thicker reinforced sidewalls to support the car when the tire loses air pressure. IMO part of the ride harshness is due to this while the rest is due to the tighter suspension of a "sports car".

Tire wear, especially what has been called unusual tire wear, is caused by a number of factors; wheel geometry (camber), inflation, rotation or actually a lack thereof by the owner.

Think about what goes through the minds of tire companies other than the profit margin. To engineer a "safe" RF tire, when there is little doubt an owner will probably use them in an unsafe manner, (driving faster that 55 or for more than 100 miles) means you'll give up a comfort for convenience of not having a spare in your trunk.
Old 11-30-10, 10:03 AM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by driftway
I know there are many threads on how to replace the run flat, but I want run flats. I keep golf clubs in the trunk.
My rf's are bare and I would need to order 4 run flats that have a smoother ride and longer lasting tread. It's 2010, they must have solved the problem!
How about Dunlop 5000s?
thanks

-Run Flat Lover
Hi drift,

I bought a BMW Mobility Kit on eBay. Go there and see if it might work for you.

~$135.00

Jerry Baumchen
Old 11-30-10, 10:08 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by abbeyrd
I think the rough ride has more to do with the sispension design. I test drove a BMW 3 series that had runflats and it was in no way as harsh as my SC 430 when I had the runflats. I love the Michelin Pilot A/S Plus non runflats that I put on the car. I carry the space saver spare with me on long trips.
You can never go wrong with Michelins non run flats !
Old 11-30-10, 11:09 AM
donsmith
Rookie

Default This may be your lucky day

I just bought my car last night, in fact, this is my first post on this forum. The dealer I bought the car from installed new Bridgestone run flats (original tires) on the car just before I looked at it. He only had the car a couple days before I bought it, so the tires probably have less than 15 miles on them. They're as good as new. I don't want run flats and am going to replace them and probably do a plus one conversion at the same time. Discount Tire offered to buy them back at a much reduced price to sell them as used. Let me know if you (or anyone else) are interested. If you don't trust me, I can offer them for sale on eBay to get their guarantee. My eBay id is dnsmith if you want to check out my 100% feedback. Just let me know, it would help us both out.
Old 11-30-10, 11:26 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I have Bridgestone (OE on car) run flats on 2006 SC and initially did not like them at all. As mentioned previously a lot of the ride is related to the suspension, but also and very importantly the tire pressure. Before you switch them out, make sure that you fill them up to the tire pressure specifications on the inside of the drivers door first. I believe the side wall of my tires recommend 55 PSI (don't quote me on this), a tire dealer will inflate them to ten pounds less then that, and the inside of the door I believe recommends 33 PSI. I have them at 34 PSI and they are very tolerable and both my wife and I do not complain any more about the ride.
Old 11-30-10, 08:07 PM
driftway
Driver School Candidate

Just bought 4 245/40ZR -18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP RunFlat.
Man TireRack ships to my local shop, way cool...

Reviews look good. New technology for 2010!

we will see......
Old 12-01-10, 09:05 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

You'll have to let us know...how the ride "feels". According to their site, they've improved tire wear life with NEW compounds...TriFusion™ Compound - three different compounds bonded together on the tread face but...

"Michelin® Zero Pressure™ tires feature a reinforced sidewall that is designed to support the weight of your car even after a loss of air pressure — even with no air in the tire.* Michelin® Zero Pressure Technology allows you to continue driving up to 50 miles at 55 mph, so you don’t have to change a tire on the side of a busy highway.

*Michelin® self-supporting zero-pressure (ZP) tires are to be used only with an operational, Michelin-approved, low air-pressure warning system."

Emphasis added on the 50 miles which is less than Lexus original 100 miles.
Old 12-01-10, 09:54 AM
KBALL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
You'll have to let us know...how the ride "feels". According to their site, they've improved tire wear life with NEW compounds...TriFusion™ Compound - three different compounds bonded together on the tread face but...

"Michelin® Zero Pressure™ tires feature a reinforced sidewall that is designed to support the weight of your car even after a loss of air pressure — even with no air in the tire.* Michelin® Zero Pressure Technology allows you to continue driving up to 50 miles at 55 mph, so you don’t have to change a tire on the side of a busy highway.

*Michelin® self-supporting zero-pressure (ZP) tires are to be used only with an operational, Michelin-approved, low air-pressure warning system."

Emphasis added on the 50 miles which is less than Lexus original 100 miles.
Doesn't AAA free tow for 100 miles? Membership like 45 bucks?
That's what i chose. Seemed like a good tradeoff for the non run flats.
Old 12-01-10, 11:32 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Driftway, let us know how they ride once you have them mounted. Another reason I think there is preference for run flats, is that they are much less likely to blow out and peel off causing rim or fender damage.
Old 12-01-10, 11:58 AM
robsvdp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sixonemale
I have Bridgestone (OE on car) run flats on 2006 SC and initially did not like them at all. As mentioned previously a lot of the ride is related to the suspension, but also and very importantly the tire pressure. Before you switch them out, make sure that you fill them up to the tire pressure specifications on the inside of the drivers door first. I believe the side wall of my tires recommend 55 PSI (don't quote me on this), a tire dealer will inflate them to ten pounds less then that, and the inside of the door I believe recommends 33 PSI. I have them at 34 PSI and they are very tolerable and both my wife and I do not complain any more about the ride.
Interesting, my '06 came with Dunlops that were terrible. Didn't know Bridgestone was an option.

Quick Reply: There must be, by now, a smoother riding run flat...