SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Definitive List of SC430 Wind Deflectors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-10, 10:38 PM
Ringo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Definitive List of SC430 Wind Deflectors?

OK, I am about to purchase an 06-07 SC430 Blue/Ecru and my wife really doesn't like the wind generated with the top down. We've been in other convertibles (Mercedes, etc) with excellent wind deflection but the SC430 seems to lack in this category somewhat. I've looked all over the forums and online and would like to see a definitive list of SC430 wind deflectors that can be installed to control wind with the top down.

I have seen the lovethedrive.com product but it seems to only come in black and also appears very after-market. What other options do we have and who has any feedback on them? I'm prepared to spend the right amount of money to get the solution that works well and looks right.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 11-28-10, 05:24 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome, and good luck with your purchase. Don't know of another wind deflector, but I have a lovethedrive.com wind deflector. I don't think I've ever seen a different color other than black. It does work as far as wind noise at highway speeds. Mine does interfere with the operation of the seats. But other than that I like it. I also installed foam rubber pieces (pipe installation) on the metal pieces that sit on the interior. Good luck on your search. And please let us know what you find.
Old 11-28-10, 07:48 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringo
.... I'm prepared to spend the right amount of money to get the solution that works well and looks right.

Thanks,

Mark
Take it to a body shop and have it painted the same color as your car's exterior. Will integrate well with car and be functional too.
Old 11-28-10, 10:31 AM
toxic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been in a lot of top-end droptops and I have to say, the 430 is one of the best. Sounds to me like a sunroof is a better option for you. Some of the appeal of a convertible is to feel the wind. Lexus took it one better and allows you to actually hear the stereo and have a normal conversation. Have you tried rolling the windows up with the top down?

TOXIC
Old 11-28-10, 11:16 AM
Ringo
Driver School Candidate

We did try that (rolling the windows up) and it made a difference but my wife and I are looking for a little bit more. Unfortunately perception is reality and my wife feels like we are filming some outlandish Top Gear episode when it really isn't _that_ bad. Out of my own curisity and for the benefit of the community I'd like to develop a list of all of the options. Is the lovethedrive.com device the only option? I've seen reference to something from JDM but I haven't seen a link for it.

Mark
Old 11-28-10, 12:16 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

We did try that (rolling the windows up) and it made a difference but my wife and I are looking for a little bit more. Unfortunately perception is reality and my wife feels like we are filming some outlandish Top Gear episode when it really isn't _that_ bad. Out of my own curisity and for the benefit of the community I'd like to develop a list of all of the options. Is the lovethedrive.com device the only option? I've seen reference to something from JDM but I haven't seen a link for it.

Mark
The JDM one for the 06+ is larger in size and will cost you $350+.
Old 11-28-10, 12:42 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by talwang
The JDM one for the 06+ is larger in size and will cost you $350+.
Can you recommend a good vendor that I can buy the OEM JDM one from?

Thanks
Old 11-28-10, 03:17 PM
Ringo
Driver School Candidate

Talwang, so this JDM item, is it a replacement rear peice of glass between the two read readrests or is it is something else entirely? Also, this JDM item, is it what alread COMES with the 06+ or is it a larger item that can be substituted?

Any links?

Thanks,

Ringo
Old 11-28-10, 03:54 PM
talwang

CL vendors like Carson or Nigel can definitely get the JDM version for you.
Or you can try my contact Azuma at mailorderjapan.com for a speedy service.

JDM version

USDM version

Old 11-28-10, 04:58 PM
Ringo
Driver School Candidate

Talwang, thanks for the images. That really helps. Can anybody on this forum speak to the effectiveness of this upgraded piece of glass? Lovethedrive.com says 75% reduction but I find that hard to believe. Is there some similar stat for this mod?

Thanks,

Ringo
Old 11-28-10, 05:10 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I'm kind of surprised to hear that wind noise seems excessive. I found the SC430 to be one of the quietest convertibles on the road when we were test driving them back in '06. However, on that note, I started wearing ear plugs when I drive over 45 or 50 mph with the top down, as the noise can damage your ears if done long enough.
Old 11-28-10, 05:50 PM
talwang

Talwang, thanks for the images. That really helps. Can anybody on this forum speak to the effectiveness of this upgraded piece of glass? Lovethedrive.com says 75% reduction but I find that hard to believe. Is there some similar stat for this mod?

Thanks,

Ringo
so they use some kind of wind noise detector or something? would love to see some charts.

If you believe in Lexus engineering, the new bigger version should have reduced some wind noise. However, not as much as 75% for sure.
Old 12-04-10, 06:06 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by talwang
CL vendors like Carson or Nigel can definitely get the JDM version for you.
Or you can try my contact Azuma at mailorderjapan.com for a speedy service.
Thank you, I really appreciate that
Old 12-05-10, 07:08 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

that piece of plastic/glass like product is 350+????????
Old 12-05-10, 11:05 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mIStaboi
that piece of plastic/glass like product is 350+????????
Well it is a finely engineerred high quality piece of glass and it is OEM from Lexus, so yes it is $350.

It would be $35 if it is from Kia.

It would be $3500 from Ferrari or Bentley

Would it be $35,000 if it is from Bugatti? I won't be surprise if it is.....haha.

Last edited by BNR34; 12-05-10 at 07:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Definitive List of SC430 Wind Deflectors?