SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Color Scheme Opinions Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-02, 05:12 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Color Scheme Opinions Needed

Hi - I'm interested in getting an SC430. I need some help with color schemes. I know a lot of this is personal preference but I still want your opinions. I have narrowed my exterior choices to two - BLACK and SILVER. I like the look of the Black Exterior the best BUT I never had a Black car and I hear that they are brutal to keep clean and that color really shows the scratches/dings etc. I am very picky and I think that would drive me crazy. Is Black really as bad as they say?? Also, if I choose the Silver Exterior, what interior do you like? Black? Ecru? I don't like the Saddle. So what do you think?

BLACK with ECRU? with BLACK?

SILVER with BLACK? with ECRU?

Is there any other downsides to consider? Spilling Coffee on Ecru? Black Interior heating up in the sun??? Etc Etc.

Also - What interiors do the Black and Silver cars typically come with? Will I even have much of a choice?

THANKS SO MUCH!

Last edited by Gekko; 07-28-02 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-28-02, 05:53 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Black exterior is a ***** to take care of. It shows every swirl mark and imperfection. I'm a fellow fanatic so I know from where i speak.

Go for the silver/balck combo. It looks the cleanest and really shines.
Old 07-29-02, 11:17 AM
RodF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally think that the Silver/Ecru is the combo to go with. The Ecru interior sets off the Silver nicely and looks great with the top down. Of course we are all going to suggest what we already have. The Ecru comes with the Birds Eye Maple wood which always gets comments. The Ecru will show smudges and dirt more readily, but they come right out with leather cleaner.
Old 07-29-02, 01:15 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Black/black was my first choice for most of the months I was on the waiting list last year. Then my normally dull brain had a sudden rush of logic - I do not plan to spend significant amounts of time laboring over the dust, dirt, grime, slime, scratches, swirls, whirls, and whorls that are so prevalent on dark-colored cars. I changed my first choice to silver which looks nice even when it's dirty, but is brilliant when it's clean.

As far as I'm concerned black/black is the sexiest combo and if I could afford a servant to keep my car pristine (or if I were 30 again), that's what I would own.

Instead, I have a silver/black - IMHO black is the *only* interior to have with silver - I like the contrast.
Old 07-29-02, 02:16 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Default Thanks for the opinions

I think I'm going with Silver/Black. I want the best look with the least amount of cleaning and repair effort/cost. . I think this will be one of the more easy combos to find as well.

Last edited by Gekko; 07-29-02 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-29-02, 03:53 PM
Robbo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided to go with Black/Black (silver was my second choice). I thought that the black/black just looked cool (and borderline evil). For the silver I would have gone for the black interior. The ecru interior and the blonde wood seemed too light for my tastes. YMMV.
Old 07-29-02, 06:27 PM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

I disregarded the light colors as I did not think they looked good on the car.

Silver is for people who don't know what color car they want.

I looked at a black/ecru and black/black side by side and, much to my surprise, much preferred the ecru interior. I would have taken black, green or blue (all 3 look black anyway) with the ecru, and the black came in first, so that's what I have had for over a year now, and I am very pleased.

Dark colors show the dirt more, but look better when clean. The white interior is not much problem, and looks far more stunning than black.

The car is a little out there anyway, why not make a bold automotive fashion statement.

That's just my opinion, of course.
Old 07-29-02, 06:32 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

I went silver/ecrue because that combination looked good to both myself and my wife. Moreover, I consider the vehicle something which should pamper me rather than something I was to labour over. In the end, as long as one is happy with the look..........
Old 07-30-02, 01:22 AM
MJB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget the 'Midnight Amethyst Pearl (or whatever it's called in the US) as an alternative to black.

The deep, deep purple looks fantastic - subtly different in every light.

Often it appears black, but then you catch the deep purple and it makes it just that little bit different.

I have it with the Saddle interior and I really rather like it!

There's a few more pictures posted in the Picture Gallery...

Martin
Attached Thumbnails Color Scheme Opinions Needed-martin-s-soarer.jpg  
Old 07-30-02, 04:28 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

>Silver is for people who don't know what color car they want.<

Well, thanks, fischer ... I wondered why I chose silver - you finally cleared it up for me.
Old 07-30-02, 02:32 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Default MARTIN in London

Nice car! You're in London and in your pic I see what looks like 2 VW's, 1 Mazda, 2 Toyotas, and 1 Jeep.....where are all the British cars on the street???
Old 07-30-02, 10:52 PM
MJB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You forgot my grey French Renault Espace opposite the Soarer!

Sadly, we don't have a British motor industry anymore.

Even Jaguar is now Ford... Rover is Honda...

Too sad.

Martin
Old 07-31-02, 06:01 AM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Silver is for people who don't know what color car they want. "

Watch out my friend. I have two lexi that are both Silver. I love silver and unfortunately owned autos in other colors. Silver will be the choice of colors of all cars I own 4 the rest of my life. Silver is subtle yet sporty - conservative yet cool - very versatile.

Silver/Black is the way to go. maybe I'm a little biased, but that's just my $0.002.

MAC
Old 07-31-02, 06:09 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Default Garage?

Martin - do you garage that bad boy or does it sit out in the street all the time?

What about the rest of you guys - always garaged? Does ANYONE ever ride in your back seat? Is this just a weekend/toy car OR your primary vehicle? Will you drive it in winter/light snow?

I am considering the SC430 but it would be my primary car. I have an ES300 now and would trade it in. I'm wondering if I would miss the practicality of the ES300. But the SC keeps calling my name like a siren!!!

* Sorry, hit edit instead of quote...

Last edited by genearch; 07-31-02 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-31-02, 07:05 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Well, I had to build a detached garage (to the tune of $8,000) to house my SC during the winter when I take it off the road. My attached garage is not big enough to hold two cars.

I bought the SC outright, but then traded in my '97 Acura CL for a Subaru Outback which is great in the winter (my fourth Subaru) and for hauling things. The trade-in deal the Lexus dealer offered was laughable.

Only thing that rides in my back seat is a box of Kleenex.

I suppose if I lived in a place with no winter, I might consider the SC as a primary car. and just rent something if I needed to haul stuff.

Quick Reply: Color Scheme Opinions Needed