SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Seat Covers for driving home from the gym

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-10, 06:10 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Seat Covers for driving home from the gym

I'd swear I've read a discussion here about covers that are easy to throw on when I need to protect my seats from me. I tried every keyword I could think of and came up empty. I usually put towels down but they look terrible. Any recommendations for throw-on seat covers for that after-the-gym no-so-fresh drive home?
Old 09-28-10, 06:27 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Doncha hate that, when you know you've seen it but you just can't find it? Thread is right here. The short answer is seatshield.
Old 09-28-10, 07:05 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I've worked out all of my life and was also worried about the seats and looked high and low for seat covers. I even purchased a custom set that I returned because I did not like the look nor fit. I did not like the look of covering up the back of the seat and headrest. I then looked at my other car with leather seats that I have driven for years after working out with no precautionary measures taken and found that most of the wear, by far, was on the leather portion of the seat that you sit on, not on the back of the seat and certainly not the headrest. In short summary, I ended up buying a rubber honeycomb seat cushion that is wrapped in a black nylon mesh that has worked great. If at times you are that drenched with sweat, place a towel on the back of the seat until you get home or to your destination. Simply conditioning the back of seat and using these washable cushions has kept my leather seats looking brand new without sacrificing the look of the upper portion of the seats.

Last edited by sixonemale; 09-28-10 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-28-10, 07:59 PM
m3nv
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Usually just use a Towel to cover the bottom but nothing on the back. Just make sure if the towels wet, you move it off the leather so the moisture doesnt ruin the leather (I learned this the hard way with my old boxster).
Old 09-28-10, 09:08 PM
da-bizket
Pole Position

The Lexus dealer by my house sells a towel (kinda like). It has the Lexus logo on it covers the entire seat. Stays put because of the cutout for the headrest.

Easy to put on and take off (couple of seconds). So you can use it just for the gym or those hot days... Take the cover off right after the gym, so your not ever sitting in your gym sweat after you get cleaned up. Fast, simple and machine washable.
Old 09-28-10, 09:36 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Very very good idea for ecru interiors. I forgot one time that I ran with sunscreen on and then sat down after a workout without a towel and stained it pretty bad. Lesson learned!
Old 09-29-10, 06:57 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This is funny. As an architecture teacher, one of the PE teachers wanted to go commercial with a product that describes a solution to this problem. It was basically a large towel that had a pouch sewed into one end that would fit over the headrest. I took his prototype and put my roof down in the SC and took pics of it being used in the SC. I then had a student recreate the look on Autocad. It was actually a simple idea that my wife could sew on one of our large bath towels. BTW, never heard anymore on his endeavor. I'm sure he saw a need with his friends and cohorts. You would be amazed what I've been asked to draw over the last 38 years. I always give these projects to my students-a great experience for them.
Old 09-29-10, 10:27 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Care to share the drawing?
Old 09-29-10, 02:08 PM
KBALL
Pole Position

I use a Bath towel. Actually, a Laker bath towel which just happens to be the color of my car--twilight amethyst.
I stash in trunk when not in use.
Very happy with this solution to hot seats/sticky sweaty body. And also chlorine soaked swim trunks from pool.
Old 09-29-10, 07:00 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd have to check my CAD files to see if I still have it. My guess is it is probably sitting on one of my flash drives in the office. I will check when I have a chance though. Very simple product with a sewing machine and it fit well on my SC.
Old 09-30-10, 05:22 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bon
I'd swear I've read a discussion here about covers that are easy to throw on when I need to protect my seats from me. I tried every keyword I could think of and came up empty. I usually put towels down but they look terrible. Any recommendations for throw-on seat covers for that after-the-gym no-so-fresh drive home?

I bought them.. and I love them..let me get the info for you..

www.seatshield.com. Get the best ones, they come in 3 colors. Here in AZ they are a must..Katy
Old 09-30-10, 05:44 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Please don't be offended, but how about having a shower in the gym after the workout?

Maybe its an American thing, but I don't get it why do you drive to the gym? My gym is about 9km (5.5miles) away. I usually jog or cycle to the gym as I use this time to warm up and ready for the gym? Even in winter (4 degC - but no snow) I jog rather than drive.
Old 09-30-10, 05:47 AM
KBALL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gripau1
Hmm how about having a shower in the gym after the workout?

Maybe its an American thing, but I don't get it why do you drive to the gym? My gym is about 9km (5.5miles) away. I usually jog or cycle to the gym as I use this time to warm up and ready for the gym? Even in winter (4 degC - but no snow) I jog rather than drive.
Ummm...so other members can see and comment on my sc430
Old 09-30-10, 06:29 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by gripau1
Please don't be offended, but how about having a shower in the gym after the workout?

No offense taken. It's a great thing to do when possible. My gym doesn't have showers though. It's a crossfit or bootcamp type facility and it's quite barebones. As for warming up we always do it carefully along with cool down and stretching. Jogging or cycling to class is possible but usually time is at a premium when cramming this in between work and family life. I also have to bring a large gym bag full of personal equipment for the torture sessions. And finally, I burn everything I have in the class and practically crawl away humbled by my limitations from the intense interval training that we do. I'm rarely in any condition to do some more miles on the road to get home.

And I, like the others here, just love to get into my top-down SC after a workout. The contrast is indescribable. As Bill Alexander, a quirky painter, would say "white on white is nothing, black on black is nothing . . ." and so I enjoy taking myself to my physical limits and then bathing in the luxury of my SC. That's also what I enjoy about my various motorcycles and the contrast between them and my bicycle. For me, it's all about contrast.
Old 09-30-10, 07:48 AM
toxic
Driver

Another option, a company called Wet Okele, I use them on my jeep seats because I rarely have the top up. They are made out of wetsuit neoprene. Probably not one that fits exactly (I didn't check the site) and they are not easy on and off, but they will protect better than anything else out there.

Quick Reply: Seat Covers for driving home from the gym