SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New Leather question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-10, 07:27 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Leather question.

Ok, I have read thru the portion of the forum that deals with detailing. And I did not see an answer to my two questions..

Is leatherique the product to use?

Also the dealer wants to put a coating called Simonize on the carpet and the leather.. this is part of the treatment which will go with the paint sealant protectorant.. it is warranted for 7 years.. I have no idea what is in that product?

Should I tell them not to treat the leather?

Your thoughts? I want to start out right from the beginning.
Katy
Old 08-29-10, 08:02 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd do a 3M clear bra for rock chips, but I'd probably pass on any mass-coverage (simoniz) product that claims to be a protectorant for 7 years. Simoniz is a mass-marketing car care products that have dupont teflon in them and also a car wash chain as well as manufacture/distribute products to all car washes and now are offering dealer services.

I've read several non-SC forums on Simoniz products and they are just a teflon based protectant. IMO I would use good ole' elbow grease and fine products like Zaino, Meguires and Leatherique and do it myself. Part of the enjoyment of your car as a car enthusiast is to do things yourself and to have satisfaction knowing that you have made/kept your car beautiful. Google the product and check it out. I scanned a few pages and didn't read anything positive about it.

I'm not sure what they are charging but a bunch of folks on the M3 BMW forums, Toyota Forums and others have declined recently as well as said that these dealer added protectants are scams at best. Someone said the Simoniz # 5 spray that basically does the same as a Zaino or Meguires gloss enhancer costs $5.00 and is really a poorly made product that dealers bundle in their protectant package for hundreds, even thousands.

I read a couple of forums that particularly got my attention...the Toyota Forum where a guy with a Tundra bought it and said that his paint stopped beading up after three months and a mini cooper forum where they said some bird poop stained the coating and they had to remove the coating to remove the poop stain. All negative on the net.

Confessions of a finance manager at dealerships is all over the web and talks about that.

If they are doing it for free, I MIGHT consider...but one thing to think about Katy is that our leather is a full grain leather that needs to breath. What will putting a coating on it do? I'd rather protect it myself and be in control. Same thing on the paint.

These are just my opinions...perhaps others will chime if they have bought before.

I LOVE the Zaino products, although I have only used two of the 12 products I have so far. The exterior polishes/gloss enhancers are far superior to anything I've used before. I opened the leather care bottle but haven't used it yet-looks/smells amazing! I'll go out on a limb and say that Zaino products are much better quality, much less expensive (versus the Simoniz treatment) to use and you are in control. I believe the entire Zaino collection was $150 including shipping and some freebees. I've always questioned "lifetime" anything...let alone 7 years for paint protection/leather protection that gets beat up by the elements. Especially in AZ!
Old 08-29-10, 08:10 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

Dear Katy,
I sounds like this dealer is trying to sell you everything he has been unable to unload over the past few years. I would suggest the following:
1. Don't let him sell you any paint sealant "protectorant" (whatever that is; does you car have a cough?). Paint sealants such as this are little more than a coat of wax. It will not last 7 weeks, much less 7 years. Look it up. Mostly this is a scam pulled on inexperienced buyers.
2. The same goes for coatings on the carpet and the leather. If you are concerned about your carpets, get some mats. Lexus has nice ones, as do many aftermarket suppliers; they range from inexpensive rubber mats for winter to plush carpet custom cut to fit, which can be embroidered with a Lexus L logo or your initials (or "Katy").
3. The leather is already "coated." Leatherique is used mostly to restore old leather that has been allowed to dry out; you won't need that.
4. Read up on detailing at www.autopia.org. Here you will learn what car care professionals are saying about detailing cars. Search for "leatherique" and "Leather care" and "leather conditioning" for more helpful information.
5. For leather care, I would suggest you get either Lexol leather care or Zaino Leather Conditioner (only from www.zainostore.com). I have used the latter on my SC (twice a year) for 10 years and the leather looks and smells great. Both of these manufacturers also sell a leather cleaner, which, if you have light colored leather, you should use once or twice a year, or as needed. Also, a mix of 50/50 water/Woolite is excellent for cleaning leather.
6. The carpets should need no special attention other than a vacuum once in a while, as needed. For special problems, use some carpet cleaner, readily available at any parts store (Autozone, etc.).
7. As for the paint, I applied Zaino when my car was new (2001)and have kept that on the car for 10 years. An alternative is wax, but you have to apply wax much more often. You can learn l about paint care at the autopia forum, and they will also discuss the dealer applied "protectants."

Last edited by tfischer; 08-29-10 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Deleted all references to the Glen Beck rally.
Old 08-29-10, 09:12 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I completely agree with the comments above that what the dealer is trying to sell you is almost worthless. I actually paid for the paint sealant protector coat years ago, and as mentioned above, it’s simply a wax job that might last slightly longer than the run-of-the-mill wax job. I have used Liquid Glass Polish for years and have always had great luck with it. It’s easy on, easy off, with the results always being comments from others that my cars look brand new. As for the leather I use a Meguiars leather conditioner spray. My greatest concern with the leather is driving with the top down and the potential damage caused by the sun. Depending on how often I drive with the top down is a function of how many times a year I condition the leather. As for the floor mats, I’ve tried a lot of cleaners, but nothing seems to work better than taking them out of the car and then applying “Shout" or "Spray & Wash” on any spots and then throwing them in the washer. You can then put them in the dryer on low heat if you are in a hurry and they essentially come out looking almost brand new.

Last edited by sixonemale; 08-29-10 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-29-10, 04:22 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Tips on floor mats from a SUPER **** car enthusiast who made original ecru mats look like new even at 7 years old: Resolve Foam in a can once a week and a scrub brush.

As you are washing the car (or after you get your free Lexus car wash) take mats out of the car or you can leave it it doesn't matter and spray a thin coat of Resolve Foam ($5 Target) on the mats and scrub lightly with the hand brush-the kind you use to scrub the shower with but get a softer bristle, not the cheap $1.99 brush get a $4.99 one LOL.

On black interiors the frequent resolve treatments keep mats looking brand new for a long long time. I had my 2003 FX35 black mats till the end, 92k miles.

Be careful not to scrub the hell out of the Lexus logo, although it is a very tight stitched logo you may cause it to fray over time. For that, I use a soft bristle old tooth brush (one of five I use on my SC) to work in between the letters. Also use another brush to clean the foot rest, pedals and the vinyl/plastic foot guard to the right of the gas pedal where on ecru interior colors looks disgusting over time.

Another thing that I did with ecru interior is bought an extra set of mats-black ones that actually looked great to offset that bright ecru interior at your feet, and nicely coordinates with the black dash. I would rotate them in with the ecru mats-especially if I had a lot of ins and outs I would use the black mats.

Katy-there are black OEM mats for $109 on eBay from Park Place or Sewell all the time. Money well spent for Eboni .
Old 08-29-10, 05:32 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Good advise from my friends on the forum..I did deceide on the date of purchase to get the Simoniz Glass Coat. It is stated in the information that it is backed by a 7 year warranty. The brochure states that the product chemically reacts and cross links to the surface of the clear coat, making it a ceramic film that even organic solvants can not remove it.

It also states that a rental car will be provided if my car needs to be repaired.

The leather will not be touched..I will not allow them to put the product on there.

I will see how this product does. If it wears off.. so be it.

Katy
Old 08-29-10, 09:02 PM
lugnuts
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Azkaty, totally subscribe to the posts above on the value of the paint treatment, or non-value, that is.. However.., you write that it has a 7 year warranty.... To me, and based on same posts., sounds like you may be in line for a new wash and paint treatment about every six months.., especially considering the harsh, AZ sun that "she" will endure..
Old 08-30-10, 12:13 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Hey Katy,

Don't know if you've seen this YouTube video on the product. It's interesting to watch even though it's produced by the vendor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boQ5unUxjuY
Old 08-30-10, 12:31 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Good video and I do hope the product does work well for Katy. However, what deteriorated my protective sealant sometime back was not the number of car washes, but exposure to sun. I'm also sure this product is better than what purchased years ago, but exposure to sun and keeping the shine will be the real test IMO. Again, I hope this product is stellar!
Old 08-30-10, 06:40 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Well my friends.. I guess I will have to see how the product does in the AZ sun..

My car is outside all day, at night of course, she is in the garage.

On weekends, usually in the garage.

My plan is NOT to go thru any car wash unless it is a touch free type.

So, I will need to check back with everyone, let;s say, next year.

No sealant on the leather.The video is very interesting, I must say.

A seven year warranty is impressive, at any rate. Even used cars get five years.

I really want this car to look steller for a very long time..

Katy
Old 08-31-10, 06:35 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

K:
Once you see that water is not beading up, the protection is gone and you will need to use conventional methods of protecting the paint, as discussed above. Let us know when that happens, but if I were you I'd start monitoring the situation at about the 4 month mark.
This dealership must have quite a salesman. Did you get a free lunch as a part of that deal?
Old 08-31-10, 06:34 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

No free lunch!!
Katy
Old 08-31-10, 07:03 PM
KBALL
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Katy,
Not sure if you bought from Bell lexus, but in the service waiting area, the hostess offers to heat up a breakfast sandwich for guests...
Old 09-01-10, 05:19 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

I bought from Superstition Springs..Bell is a long way from me!

Katy
Old 09-01-10, 05:26 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Question Engine and transmission questions.

I now have 298 miles on my girl.

I , of course, am making comparisions to Jade.

When I first take off, and I am gradually gaining speed, there seem to be some hesitation in shifting..like the tranny is trying to find its shift points.I step on the gas as normal, and she seems to really be taking her time to move.Not as responsive as Jade, who had 47,000 miles on her.I am not wanting to really step on it, as I read the engine is supposed to be broken in for the first 1000 miles. Also, at idle there is a hint of a shake.Normally, in most cars, you can not even tell the engine is on..

Of course, at this point, I am looking at everything..

Is this just a function of a new vehicle? Never had a new Lexus before.

Any thoughts?

Katy

Quick Reply: New Leather question.