SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Selling SC430 what do you all think is a fair price?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-10, 04:05 PM
sc pilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling SC430 what do you all think is a fair price?

Hey everyone,
Im helping my mom sell her 2002 sc430.
It is black on black and has the 18" trd chrome wheels as well as the originals wheels (w/o tires).
60k miles
It has a dent on the trunk lid as well as a door ding on the driver door.

She has been offered 17k for it, with the original wheels and she would be allowed to keep the trd's.

whats your opinion on this offer?
Thanks for all of the help everyone!
Old 08-05-10, 04:13 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds too low to me. I'd at least start in the low 20's or upper teens and see what happens. If the car is otherwise in good shape, it should bring more than 17k.

As far as the dents, you should try to get those taken care of yourself at a "Dent Doctor" or similar place. By not fixing them, I think you're assuring yourself of getting less money than you could otherwise get. At least try to get the car looking as good as possible prior to selling.

The wheels are a wash. Offer a prospective buyer which ever set they want and sell the remaining ones on Craigslist for free. I'd try to talk up the TRD's, to get more money. I seem to recall they were a pretty expensive option.
Old 08-05-10, 04:49 PM
VVTiBob

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Have you done your due diligence? Check autotrader in your area for same similar? Same with CarMax, KBB and Blackbook.
Old 08-05-10, 08:07 PM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Is that trade in at a dealer or selling it outright? Trade in: $14-$17k.

Retail:
As is, without any maint. or history info (so I'll assume you don't have all records and perhaps needs to have the 60k service, might have had paint work and is not a one owner car) wheels are a non-issue $15-$18k for a "average" car IMO individual seller.

You might be able to get as much as $20k out of it retail--If it's perfect one owner, no paint/wrecks and you have every record, all maint. is up to date and you clean up the dents. Your dents probably take away from it that's why they hit you in the lower range. I have no idea how big the dents are and if the paint is broken but I absolutely would get those fixed at a dent doctor.

On www.cars.com right now, there are 65 2002 SC430's nationwide with under 80k miles on them and the range is $16-25k. Average price is $19,700, but 90% of these are dealers. Your price would be less as an individual, so $17k is not a bad deal, but could be better.

Also money well spent: Get a $120 detail-wash, wax, interior detailing and shampoo and engine steam clean, leather treatment at either the dealer or a high end car wash.

Exactly one year ago I sold my 2002 with 25k miles on it and some tasteful upgrades for $25k. Dealers offered me $20k at the time. $15-$18k would be about right in line with depreciation based on my experience.

As always with selling cars, I would detail it, clean it out, remove dents and put as much of the original equipment on it as possible.

Someone was looking for those TRD wheels not too long ago. I'd put the pie plates on there and sell the TRD rims here on CL Classifieds if it were me.

Good luck selling your mom's car. Please provide more information if you want more advice or more accurate estimates.

www.cars.com
www.autotrader.com
www.ebay.com
www.kbb.com
www.yahooautos.com
www.msnautos.com
www.craigslist.com
Old 08-05-10, 08:20 PM
sc pilot
Driver School Candidate

i think you may have been speaking of me as the one looking for trd wheels haha. i had to get a replacement because one of them got a flat spot.

as far as all of the car appraisal sites go, i heard they are not used as much anymore. i recently bought a 911 and they dealer kept telling me that prices are based on what the vehicle is going for at auction.

thanks for the input guys
Old 08-05-10, 08:44 PM
del3180
Rookie

17k is too low. I'd counter there offer at 19k, presuming there are no immediate services due such as needing tires, battery, brake pads, etc.
Old 08-05-10, 08:47 PM
scdroptop

need to know more info...no way they are going to get $19 on a trade in at dealer. Maybe a retail sale to individual (if the car is in great shape).

Is it a trade in or retail sale to individual? What about maint history, paintwork/wrecks? 60k service done? Need new tires/brakes/battery? Have you done the timing belt yet? Do you have all records?

There are hundreds of SC's on the market right now for under $20k. It's a crowded market. CO may not be the best place for resale of a convertible either due to the weather/roads. You guys got snow in May this year, didn't you?
Old 08-06-10, 02:20 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by del3180
17k is too low. I'd counter there offer at 19k, presuming there are no immediate services due such as needing tires, battery, brake pads, etc.
Yes counter at 19k then split it, 18k is a fair price for the condition you say it's in. good Luck
Old 08-06-10, 06:00 AM
thelopez
Rookie

Detailing means clay the car and get that mirror shine. Whenever I sell a car, I pay $30 for unlimited exterior car washes for a month.

I think a 2005 is worth 25-28k in perfect condition with new timing belt and h2o pump.
minus
1500 per year older
1200 for the major service
300 for each body part that needs repainting
100 for each panel with a 'paintless dent removal'
100 per scuffed up rim
800 if new tires are needed
400 for worked interior
1000 for torn interior driver seat
1500 for worn and torn everywhere
2000 for major accident
won't buy a smoke smelling car

Advertise in LA, OC, craigslist too, you are not too far away if close to a air port, but do practice common sense. One non lexus dealer in socal has had a purple one with 150k miles for 15k for that last few month. 80-120k go for under 20k frequently. Also price will vary due to weather in the area, but in moderate places prices are constant. Also it might be a pain to try to sell those trd rims. I couldn't give away a pair or chrome stock star wheels.

Good luck with it.

Last edited by thelopez; 08-12-10 at 05:16 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-06-10, 02:52 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

like others have said, it depends who's making the offer. if it's a dealer, that's probably the most she's going to get. if it's an individual, you should be able to get $18k for it assuming there are no accidents. if the dents are minor enough to do paintless removal, it's worth a couple hundred dollars to get them removed. that and you should detail the crap out of it. see the detailing forum for tips.
Old 08-07-10, 09:05 AM
roadcat1
Driver School Candidate

Default Interested in the TRD wheels

If you do end up selling the car and want to sell the TRDs separately.....I have one that was cracked and bent and the repair that I had was good, but not perfect. PM me if you want to sell the wheels....don't care about the tires unless they are new.
Old 08-12-10, 12:16 PM
sc pilot
Driver School Candidate

Ok I got some more info on the transaction for you guys.

The offer that she received was from a dealer. She is not trading it in, the dealer is just going to buy it from her. He offered her 17k for the vehicle with both sets of wheels.

There is one dent on the trunk that went down to the metal and there is a separate door ding on the driver's door that has gone through the paint as well.

On top of this, the cd player does not work due to some discs getting jammed inside and wont eject.
I dont believe that she has had the timing belt replaced either.

Hope this will help you all judge the value of her car.
Old 08-12-10, 12:27 PM
scdroptop

17k is a fair price then for a dealer to buy. Technically (even though you are not "trading in" per se) this is fair trade in price. They will probably clean up and fix the cd and sell for $22-$24k retail. Someone will get them down to about $20k and they'll make a couple of grand profit on it. These are typical margins for an older car. A fellow CL SC'er had a similar offer on his 02 and they retailed it for about the same. His was in better condition and had upgraded oem wheels. FYI I'd do it.
Old 08-12-10, 12:28 PM
VVTiBob

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

With the description you've laid out, 17K is a very fair price for an 02 in my opinion.
Old 08-12-10, 03:32 PM
BLAQ ICE
Driver

$17K is fair for the SC430. There is a lot of inventory out there in a tough economy. Take the $17K today, b/c tomorrow the car value could be $15K.

Take the emotion out of the deal.

Quick Reply: Selling SC430 what do you all think is a fair price?