Check Engine Light on... CRAP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-15, 09:57 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by mcgene
Update 3/17/2015

Heard from corporate yesterday about covering the cost of the faulty O2 (heater) sensor -- as expected they "respective fully declined" to cover any of the expense. They see no relationship between the botched airbag installation which caused the cabin temp to overheat and the O2 heater sensor malfunction. They claim this is the dealer's decision -- but corporate is not concerned enough with customer loyalty to cover the dealer cost. Thus, that will be the last time I visit a Lexus dealer. I have other options for reliable service and I will use them from now on.

I had an experience with corporate about 15 years ago and I contacted the WSJ and had my issue printed in their Wednesday auto edition -- corporate found out about it and decided they didn't like the bad publicity -- they covered the cost

Maybe I need to contact the WSJ again --

-gene
Hey Gene,
They still remember the Wall Street Journal article you wrote 15 yrs ago! Lexus knew if they waited long enough, your black listed name would surface again and then they could retaliate against you!
Old 03-17-15, 12:56 PM
mcgene
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

That is sooooo funny!!!

You are probably correct -- they got me and are smiling big time.

I received a satisfaction survey from the dealer -- guess what I put on that one! I'm gonna give'm a few weeks to contact me and then have the problem fixed by a trusted mechanic. Cost should be about $190 (not $520)

Now, I'm not sure what to do about the VSC lights being on. I could just ignore them, but they irritate me nonetheless. Not sure what caused them to come on all of a sudden
Old 03-17-15, 03:07 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mcgene
Now, I'm not sure what to do about the VSC lights being on. I could just ignore them, but they irritate me nonetheless. Not sure what caused them to come on all of a sudden
I purchased one of these a while back, it is very easy to use and it will tell you if there are any codes in the cars computer. You can also reset the codes with a touch of the button.

And before anyone tells me you can also disconnect the battery to erase codes, yes that is true...

This reader allows you to connect it and you can drive around and record what the engine is doing or you can watch the screen as it shows several things about your engine while it is running.
Old 12-13-15, 04:49 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How To Turn Off VSC Lights on SC430

This trick to remove the VSC lights (usually comes on as a result of clearing DTC or MIL or check engine light). It has worked everytime. I've posted here before with a picture but sometimes the link to the picture gets lost. So here is the wordy version.

1. Find the OBD-II connector module below the steering column under the drivers side dash. This is the same piece that mechanics plug onto when reading trouble codes or performing smog testing.
2. Pull out the connector black plastic cover. No tools needed, just pull by hand.
3. Observe at the OBD-II connector carefully. There's the narrow part (passenger side) and wide part (driver side) of the outlet. Kind of looks like a wedge. You will also notice two rows of outlets or pins. Make sure you are with me up to this point.
4. Using a paper clip or any piece of metal conductor, insert one end of the clip onto the No. 3 pin (counting from the rear of the car) along the narrower side or passenger side row of pins.
5. Insert the other end of the paper clip onto the wider or driver side row of pins- specifically onto the No. 5 pin counting from the rear.
6. Turn ON the ignition- the point where the dashboard lights come up- but DO NOT start. Watch the VSC light. When it starts blinking, turn OFF the ignition. That should do it. If the VSC light does not blink, it is simply because the jumper clip is not making good contact to one of the pins. Retry at this point.
7. After turning OFF the ignition, remove the jumper paper clip and re-install the black plastic cover of the OBD-II connector.
8. Start your engine and test drive.

Last edited by whitels; 12-13-15 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-22-20, 03:08 AM
ThomasD94
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by talwang
check/replace the gas cap as others suggest.
also check if it has a loose tube. If nothing works, take it to the repair shop.

Thank you!! The light came on my SC 430 and everything looks fine and it drives well
Old 05-22-20, 03:24 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ThomasD94
Thank you!! The light came on my SC 430 and everything looks fine and it drives well
you need to connect a code reader to the OBDII port under the dash.
then you can begin to diagnose why the Check Engine Light (CEL) illuminated.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasD94 (05-23-20)
Old 05-23-20, 03:37 AM
ThomasD94
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
you need to connect a code reader to the OBDII port under the dash.
then you can begin to diagnose why the Check Engine Light (CEL) illuminated.
Thanks, I took it to my mechanic today as I don't own a reader