Spare Tire Quandry - Run Flats

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-10, 07:41 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Spare Tire Quandry - Run Flats

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum, but have been reading posts for sometime before purchasing a 2006 SC430. I currently have run flats on my SC430 but am contemplating on removing them for conventional high performance tires. The ride is rough! I've found the spare tire kit OEM for $750 online. I think what most people don't fully think through with the spare tire kit is this: If your traveling let's say with another person and you both have two overnight bags in the back seat and you get a flat tire. You can put the spare on without a problem, but where do you put the wheel with the flat tire? On the passengers lap? My thought is to buy a compressor and tire patch kit vs. the spare kit. I also have AAA for free 100 mile towing in case of blow-out.

I know this is somewhat of an old topic, but just the same, all replies and comments would be appreciated as to how people are driving their cars with conventional tires in regards to getting a flat tire.
Old 07-03-10, 08:27 AM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Desperate times call for desperate measures. The only thing to do in the event of a flat is to put the flat tire in the back seat. I keep a large 39 gallon garbage bag in my trunk in case I do have a flat and have to put the flat tire in the back seat. Discount Tire also has large plastic bags for exactly this purpose. They would probably give you one to keep on hand.

If you're traveling with luggage, you'll just have to fit it into any additional space you can find after the tire's in the back. Then you head to a tire shop as quickly as possible. Nobody wants to have to put a dirty spare in the back of their beautiful car, but it's the only way. The bag makes it as painless as possible.

With all this being said, I don't even carry my spare in town. I only put it in on long trips.
Old 07-03-10, 09:21 AM
HVisone
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont want to tow if you can avoid it as likely to damage the front bumper, even pulling the car onto a flat bed can be a problem

Just the air compressor works fine with a tire plug kit, for quick fixes,....along with a couple of cans of fix it flat, but the latter can damage, sometimes, the TPMS
Old 07-03-10, 11:11 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

The blown out tire can be placed in the trunk laying down. Just place some trash bags below it to keep from getting your trunk dirty. However, you won't be able to put your top down while it is back there.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
Old 07-03-10, 01:22 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

My first line of defense is the portable 12v compressor for slow leaks. The spare is the second line of defense for blowouts. My thought is to carry a spare with me because most of the tire shops in rural VA don't stock the replacement size tires, therefore, it takes 2 - 3 days to get a tire shipped in. If I didn't carry a spare, I could be stuck for several days without transportation while waiting for the tire delivery. I'll still be stuck in the town where the blowout occurred because the spare is not rated for continuous highway driving, but it can get me around town as a tourist until replaced. I do carry a tire bag to stow a flat.
Old 07-03-10, 02:11 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sixonemale
Hello All,

I'm new to this forum, but have been reading posts for sometime before purchasing a 2006 SC430. I currently have run flats on my SC430 but am contemplating on removing them for conventional high performance tires. The ride is rough! I've found the spare tire kit OEM for $750 online. I think what most people don't fully think through with the spare tire kit is this: If your traveling let's say with another person and you both have two overnight bags in the back seat and you get a flat tire. You can put the spare on without a problem, but where do you put the wheel with the flat tire? On the passengers lap? My thought is to buy a compressor and tire patch kit vs. the spare kit. I also have AAA for free 100 mile towing in case of blow-out.

I know this is somewhat of an old topic, but just the same, all replies and comments would be appreciated as to how people are driving their cars with conventional tires in regards to getting a flat tire.
Hi there,

I did a REPLY in another thread about run-flats & what I have done.

I have an '02 & bought a BMW Mobility Kit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-N...Q5fAccessories

They run about $135 and they are what BMW does with their cars that do not have a spare tire.

Just a thought . . .

Jerry Baumchen
Old 07-03-10, 03:40 PM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Just to be really clear about this.

Will a full size wheel/tire (the blow-out) fit into the trunk?
Old 07-03-10, 05:28 PM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

Yes with the spare now on the axle it fits fine. Just keep one or two 32 gallon plastic trash bags in the trunk to protect it. Or you can always put it in the bag and in the "back" seat.
Old 07-03-10, 05:37 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Everyone's input has been very helpful and am now fully convinced that I will replace my run flat tires with conventional tires. I will more than likely by a compressor/tire repair kit, or if I find myself taking long trips, I may eventually get a spare. I can't wait to replace the RF's!
Old 07-05-10, 07:07 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Lon, Which continental tires did you purchase from tire rack? Thanks