SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What are the Best NON RUN FLAT tires for SC430?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-10, 04:40 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by azkaty
Bob you are right! I can always hope! I would love to find some one who would change the camber on Jade..
The camber setting is fully adjustable on the SC430, any place that can do alignment can change the camber for you.
Old 06-30-10, 05:07 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

I have about 10K miles on a set of new tires that I had the alignment tech set to my spec and all four tires are wearing perfectly. The front is +0.05 toe and - 0.85 camber. The rear is +0.15 toe and -1.25 camber. All four tires are perfect after 10K. NO inside wear at all. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
quebola (01-16-19)
Old 06-18-14, 10:25 PM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

According to Consumer Reports, the all season Continental "Extreme" Contacts are "dismal" in snow. If you want all season moderate traction on light snow, stick with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. The running noise is higher but I have two CEContacts on my rear end, and they are way quicker to chirp, squeal etc from a standing stop, even if you're not trying to burn rubber. I think they also wear down far more quickly-and yes, it took alsmost a year from Tire Rack advertising fo any usable sizes to arrive.
Does anyone have comment on the best larger size for better handling, or is that a no no?
Old 06-19-14, 10:04 AM
Lexeffect
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running a brand new set of Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2 tires on my SC430. 245/40 ZR18 97w. Treadwear 500. Traction AA. Temperature A. Fantastic, quiet, ultra high performance all season NON-RUNFLAT tire. My car has 5,500 miles on it and I took the original run flat tires off it and threw them promptly into the garbage. The ride of these Hankook Ventus is quite exceptional.

Last edited by Lexeffect; 06-19-14 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-19-14, 12:51 PM
RTT383
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided to go with Michelin Pilot Super Sport since its going to be a warm weather option. I just love them after 500 miles. They replaced Dunlop run flats.
Old 06-20-14, 05:55 AM
NAmVet68
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RTT... I've been looking at the Michelin Super Sports myself. How are they for ride comfort & noise?
Old 06-20-14, 06:22 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use Work Rims with Continental DWS front and rear 245X40X18" tires. I like them.
Old 06-20-14, 07:58 AM
RTT383
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I said, I only have about 500 miles on them but compared to the 300 miles I put on the Dunlop RF, both the ride and noise I think would be tough to beat. I went with the non run flat version, saving basically $100/tire and bought the sealant/compressor from Sewell Lexus for $65.

For the last 20+ years, my cars, truck and motorcyle have only had some Michelin tire on them and I have never been disappointed.

RTT
Old 06-20-14, 01:53 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NAmVet68
RTT... I've been looking at the Michelin Super Sports myself. How are they for ride comfort & noise?
I have the Michelin Super Sports on my red SC430 are great riding tires. Smooth and very quiet. The car tracks straight.

My wife's SC430 has Continental DWS tires and the Super Sport ride is better. I keep threatening my wife that I am going to pull her Continentals and have a set of Super Spots installed.

Monday I got a nail in one of my Super Sports. It was repaired free by local tire store (Kaufman Tires). Had this been a run flat it would have required replacement since run flats are not legally repairable.
Old 06-20-14, 03:39 PM
DarthSid
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running on Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 which are the second generation of this type of tire with tread wear 320, and AAA. Very smooth and quite ride. I live in Southern California where the climate is prefect for these tires. Also excellent handling and stopping. I also have my coupe tires staggered.
Old 06-23-14, 07:47 PM
08pebbch
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

My 08 Pebble Beach came with newer Kumho Ecsta Sport tires. We have only driven on Michelins for so long I don't remember buying another brand... can't wait until these Kumho's need to be replaced!
Old 06-23-14, 08:50 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 08pebbch
My 08 Pebble Beach came with newer Kumho Ecsta Sport tires. We have only driven on Michelins for so long I don't remember buying another brand... can't wait until these Kumho's need to be replaced!
Why wait. Buy the Michelins now and enjoy your car.

I removed and threw out a perfectly good set of good run flats with 75% tread remaining and installed Michelin Pilot Super Sports. WHAT A DIFFERENCE.

Initially my wife could not understand why I was spending almost $1,000 when I had perfectly good tires. After driving the SC430 home from the tire store she understood.

I hated the Dunlop Run Flats.
Old 06-28-14, 02:01 PM
ahxks1
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've owned two Lexus SC430s and I just put on my fourth brand / set of tires in an effort to find the smoothest riding tire over potholes and bumps. I just had the Michelin Pilot AS3 non run flat tires installed.

With this empirical evidence, I can honestly say that the tires make no difference. This car rides like crap. First I got rid of the Bridgestone Serenity, then the Pirelli RFTs, and replaced them with Michelin non-RFT.

Since nobody offered good advice (including consumer reports or Tire Rack), let me give you mine: the tires don't make a difference in ride comfort on the SC430. This car is simply poorly engineered. No 18 inch tire will help drive this car smoothly. If you're looking for a smooth riding retractable hardtop, either find a way to use smaller wheels or go to Mercedes SL 550. If you've ever driven one you'll understand why.

Last edited by ahxks1; 06-28-14 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-28-14, 04:02 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ahxks1
I've owned two Lexus SC430s and I just put on my fourth brand / set of tires in an effort to find the smoothest riding tire over potholes and bumps. I just had the Michelin Pilot AS3 non run flat tires installed.

With this empirical evidence, I can honestly say that the tires make no difference. This car rides like crap. First I got rid of the Bridgestone Serenity, then the Pirelli RFTs, and replaced them with Michelin non-RFT.

Since nobody offered good advice (including consumer reports or Tire Rack), let me give you mine: the tires don't make a difference in ride comfort on the SC430. This car is simply poorly engineered. No 18 inch tire will help drive this car smoothly. If you're looking for a smooth riding retractable hardtop, either find a way to use smaller wheels or go to Mercedes SL 550. If you've ever driven one you'll understand why.
Beg to differ - went from Pirelli Pzero Nero RFTs to Conti DWS. A serious difference on OEM 18 inch rims. Much prefer my Contis. I don't specifically target going over potholes/bumps though. Just regular use on regular roads. My guess is if you have low profile tires, you'll feel the bumps on bad roads no matter what - I know that from my Benz riding on 18 inch AMG rims and OEM Conti Pro Contacts ( 255/40/18 f 285/35/18 r).
Old 06-29-14, 06:22 AM
ahxks1
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think were agreeing more than disagreeing. Unless you put 16 or 17 inch wheels on the SC430, no tire will make a difference. This car is beautiful and whisper quiet, but it was not designed for road comfort, nor can it deal with New York City or Long Island roads. It handles potholes as well as my old my old Miata's. But there are vehicles that drive beautifully with 18 inch wheels. Does your Mercedes have the Active Body Control (ABC)? My aunt has an '08 SL550 with ABC and 18" wheels. It's the most beautiful and best driving retractable hardtop I've ever driven. Id drop the Lexus for the SL in a heartbeat, but unfortunately out of my price range..

Last edited by ahxks1; 06-29-14 at 01:07 PM.

Quick Reply: What are the Best NON RUN FLAT tires for SC430?