SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

IPAD 3G perfect fit Carputer, ya think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-10, 04:06 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default IPAD 3G perfect fit Carputer, ya think?

Last week our Ipads came in, and the brief review is this is about the most pleased I have been with anything I have ever bought. Now how to get it into the second item I am most please with. It actually fits without an install.

In this position it fits snuggly when held in place by the drink holder. While in gear there is no obstruction to the screen. I am waiting for the case to come in just for added protection but driving around like this it does not move.

In portrait position it fits perfect between the AC vents. Only thing is something would have to be inserted above the AC controls to hold it in place.

Why you want this in your car.

Netflix and ABC APPS streamed HD video over 3G over 12,000 movies and TV Shows

It is an IPOD, and it connects to my IPOD cable. With 64GB on board plenty of movies and music can be stored

3D GPS with turn by turn navigation on a 9.5 Inch Screen

CARPUTER App gives me a performance timer, Gs, MPG, etc about as advanced as it can get

Internet controlled by my voice with Google

Pandora internet Radio

It does work as a phone, and connects bluetooth to my car, for free calls. For those of you who own Iphones, I jailbroke this puppy as soon as it came out of the box and loaded 3G unrestricter and Skype. Perfect for hand free calling, FOR FREE! The unrestricter also streams all my video in HD over 3G

Text messages by voice app, and it reads the incoming text messages to me.

I am thinking of building a real bracket for it, but the damn thing seems to be made to sit on our dash without any mods. Opinions? About anything other than my fingerprints on the screen!

Last edited by KaiserSea1; 05-15-10 at 04:41 AM.
Old 05-15-10, 04:09 AM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This actually looks like it would work Would be quite interesting, but I would be apprehensive about stuff going wrong since the product is still new. But I've seen an install done on a Tacoma and I think a Maxima. Really cool idea. Congrats on the iPads and with the install (if you decide)!
Old 05-15-10, 04:15 AM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great idea, id just be careful and hide it when you park your car
Old 05-15-10, 04:21 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

It is about 1/4 inch thick. It vanishes in the holders behind the seat

With 10 hour battery life, and bluetooth, NO CABLES
Old 05-15-10, 04:33 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

One of our Sponsors

Very advanced looking.

http://www.ot-2.com/
Old 05-15-10, 04:45 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice setup. I love the iPad and I'm going to consider something like this for myself. Maybe I'll buy mount? Not sure if it'll fit perfectly in my GS lol
Old 05-15-10, 07:44 AM
scdroptop
Forum Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

very innovative Kaisersea1!!!! How secure is the landscape style with the cup holder securing it? does it stay in place on corners?

Great idea!!!
Old 05-15-10, 08:25 AM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

KaiserSea1,
Please keep us informed on how this works out. I have been considering some type of multimedia, GPS upgrade for our SC and this seems about as logical, cost effective and easy as anything out there.

What is the monthly data package price for Internet access etc.?

Great Idea!
Old 05-15-10, 08:47 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

hope it works. a couple things that might help. 1) grooveshark.com is far superior to pandora. it has better stations with less repeats. PLUS you can actually make your own playlists from pretty much every song ever. it's basically a free streaming itunes store. 2) if you get the correct cable, you can charge your ipad with the same cable you connect for mp3s. if you were to constantly let the battery run down, it would die within a year. comp batteries can only be recharged so many times.
Old 05-15-10, 11:25 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Very nice setup. I love the iPad and I'm going to consider something like this for myself. Maybe I'll buy mount? Not sure if it'll fit perfectly in my GS lol
The iPad is resting on the leather held in place by the cup holders. It is really a perfect place for it very easy to see and reach. It is in tight enough so that it does not move in normal driving. With the case on I would have to flip the car to get it out of that spot. I see no reason to do anything to secure it any further. I am waiting for a great iPad gps app to come out. The first million they sold were wifi only, mine has the 3G and GPS. With the power of this the gps to come should be amazing. I am runing the sound and connecting Skype by bluetooth. sounds great. The plug which charges my iPhone does not charge the iPad. I am not too worried since I was surfing and watching movies all day on 3G and the battery lasted 10 hours. I can surf the web by voice so it is pretty safe for a quick lookup. I am dictating this right now with dragon dictate, a free app. The thing is so light and thin it is nothing to move around. I really think this will change everything for mobile entertainment.
Old 05-15-10, 11:29 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
hope it works. a couple things that might help. 1) grooveshark.com is far superior to pandora. it has better stations with less repeats. PLUS you can actually make your own playlists from pretty much every song ever. it's basically a free streaming itunes store. 2) if you get the correct cable, you can charge your ipad with the same cable you connect for mp3s. if you were to constantly let the battery run down, it would die within a year. comp batteries can only be recharged so many times.
Thanks for the tip on grooveshark. The battery per apple will hold at least 80% charge for 1000 charges. That is at least 3 years and by then I am sure it will be time for an upgrade. I just love the fact I can run it with no cables!

It is 29 bucks a month including tax and fees for unlimited Internet. I signed up with netflix for 9$ a month to stream movies and tv. You can do that for free but netflix has it all in one place easy to use. After jailbreak it is also a phone, fax, media server, and I can even do a wireless tether to others and share my Internet. Very cool!

Last edited by KaiserSea1; 05-15-10 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-15-10, 01:00 PM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

for what it's worth.
some cars have the perfect layout for the iPad:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/05/v...-looks-pretty/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW6mirf3gng
Old 05-15-10, 06:16 PM
nkx1
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Cool idea, it looks like that works decently. There are a few caveats that I can think of though:

1. No am/fm radio. I'm guessing Apply never incorporates a radio because that could detract from itunes sales. Probably not a big deal to some, but I like to listen to the radio sometimes. Maybe there will be a clunky add-on like with the ipod...

2. Unless you want to risk a break-in, you'd have to move the ipad out of sight every time you park. To me, that could get old after a while.

3. To me, the ipad is overpriced and doesn't do much more than the iphone, but I guess a higher price than competing products is par for the course with most Apple products. I suppose that's a whole other issue, though, and could be argued about for days.
Old 05-15-10, 08:58 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nkx1
Cool idea, it looks like that works decently. There are a few caveats that I can think of though:

1. No am/fm radio. I'm guessing Apply never incorporates a radio because that could detract from itunes sales. Probably not a big deal to some, but I like to listen to the radio sometimes. Maybe there will be a clunky add-on like with the ipod...

2. Unless you want to risk a break-in, you'd have to move the ipad out of sight every time you park. To me, that could get old after a while.

3. To me, the ipad is overpriced and doesn't do much more than the iphone, but I guess a higher price than competing products is par for the course with most Apple products. I suppose that's a whole other issue, though, and could be argued about for days.
1. There is a app called I heart Radio, it gives you local, and national radio stations, and streams perfectly.

2. The point of this thing is that it is portable, why would you leave it in the car. I use it in the office, in the house, I may sell my Imac. The money alone I am saving on home internet, my portable usb, and on my phone pays for the IPAD and the service. It is actually very thrifty. Today I was using it in the living room, and my son was surfing on his laptop, by using my Ipad as a wireless hotspot. Good speed.

3. I have had iphones for a couple of years. It runs the same apps true, but it is so much more than that. Unfortunately you will only get it, if you get it.
Old 05-16-10, 08:27 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

do you mean that you have no cables at all? or that you only have the mp3 cable connected? because if that's the case, i assume you'd have to stream the audio over bluetooth. and the sound quality isn't very good. do an a/b comparison and most people will think it's unlistenable. if you are using an mp3 cable, you can install apple's a/v cable and it'll charge the ipad while you drive.

Quick Reply: IPAD 3G perfect fit Carputer, ya think?