SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

ISC350 vs SC430

Old 04-23-10, 08:32 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ISC350 vs SC430

After the beating I took for my SC VS AM I promised myself never again. Today the LS went in for service, and they gave me an ISC350. Warning, one comment about my knees or dirty shoes and I delete this post, sell my SC, and buy a YUGO! Note to Moose: Please do not read...

First legroom. I stand at 5'8 and wear 10.5 Shoes. This is what is left over for the rear seats.

Feet Just fit in the ISC

Under the seat in the SC

Performance

The ISC350 clocked 5.9 to 60 dead even with my SC. The way it gets there, very different. Not nearly as smooth as the SC, a little buzzy. The engine feels like it is working much harder.

Handling

No Competition. The IS handles MUCH better than my SC.

The ISC Interior

The ISC interior is a nightmare. The Center dash is hard cheep plastic that buzzes when you floor the car. The leather feels like pleather, there is no wood, no metal. What ever they used to wrap the steering wheel is the worst I have come across, you would think they would at least use better materials you touch all the time. Even the paddle shifters and gear shifter is plastic. The stereo sounds bad, with the bass vibrating the plastic on the doors. I would put the interior well below an accord coupe. This is a real disappointment. Check out the one cup holder. Found the second one in the center glove box which is so small I could barely fit my iphone and charger. Even the soft parts of the dash have a horrible texture, it feels like rubber foam. Don't worry about getting the leather in the door dirty. That is not leather, feels also like rubber.

Exterior

Subjective I know but not a great looking car. G37 has much better lines. I have never been a fan of the IS series, and the coupe version does nothing to change it.

Convertable Top

Same hat trick as ours, but feels lighter. Very good with deflecting wind.

Final take, the IS has more room, equal power but less refined, much better handling, and more rear seat leg room. Problem is still not enough leg room to take people you like for a drive. Exterior, really dull, Interior is shamefully cheap. How can an accord be nicer inside than a Lexus, damn bean counters. I think if I moved to one of these, I would have a lot of remorse. In the price range, I would go G37.

Last edited by KaiserSea1; 04-23-10 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-23-10, 09:10 AM
diablo360
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post. I agree with you on all points. I have friends who have IS250's and 350's and they love them...... There are tons of better options out there. I don't see what's so special about these cars, especially for the price! The cheap interior is my main gripe. Also structurally speaking the car doesn't feel as solid as its european counterparts (3 Series, A4, etc.). As for the better handling of the IS, i'm sure a lot of that difference can be overcome by making some relatively minor suspension mods, for those who are so inclined..... On the other hand who buys an SC for its handling? I drive mine like a grandpa and i'm 25.......
Old 04-23-10, 09:51 AM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, i was gonna say something about your dirty-a-- shoes, but since you mentioned it from the get go in your post, I decided to say it anyways,

"You got some dirty-a-- shoes there bro!".

Anyways, great comparision between the two Converts and I'll take an '02-'10 SC430 anyday, anytime, anywhere in the universe......thank you.

martini3
Old 04-23-10, 11:16 AM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write up!

I noticed the left sneaker is much dirtier than the right.
What's up with that?
Old 04-23-10, 12:11 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

So, size 4 shoes only in the SC, and watch out for the hidden mud puddle in the ISC.

Gotcha. Thanks.
Old 04-23-10, 01:16 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

having "wood" is a good thing!

This one has it.
Plus, the SC430 looks like crap too (when it's stock).
Attached Thumbnails ISC350 vs SC430-ag_07lexusis_is350int.jpg   ISC350 vs SC430-kris-storec.jpg  
Old 04-23-10, 03:04 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by martini3
well, i was gonna say something about your dirty-a-- shoes, but since you mentioned it from the get go in your post, I decided to say it anyways,

"You got some dirty-a-- shoes there bro!".
martini3
Martini, You are right, 100 bucks problem solved.

Originally Posted by Peter_Klim
having "wood" is a good thing!
This one has it.
Plus, the SC430 looks like crap too (when it's stock).
Peter, I am sorry, I knew a bunch of people owned these cars and would not like my take on it. I have been driving it all day, and have to keep it tomorrow and like the car less and less. You can stick as much laminate as you want, put in navi, but the materials inside this car are horrible, and putting on side skirts and a lip do not disguise a very utilitarian exterior. I had previously driven the ES, and found it to be a huge leap over what is offered in the IS. Comparing it to an SC makes it hard to believe the same automaker puts them out. I think every place Lexus could cut a corner on this car they did. I still can't get over the steering wheel, AC (or lack of it) and the way the switches feel. With the SC Lexus went for the best, and it shows.

i think the SC out of the box has a beautiful shape, and never invested in a body kit, because I can barely tell the difference. I understand one car is the flagship, and the other is the entry level. It is not fair to compare them, but since people want to, I did. i am being honest when I say, I could not live with this car.

Originally Posted by PHXSC
Nice write up!

I noticed the left sneaker is much dirtier than the right.
What's up with that?
That is the foot I use to kick A^^ !

Last edited by KaiserSea1; 04-23-10 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-23-10, 05:08 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

^haha sweet write up Kaiser you're getting really adept at this...and good choice in shoes...I have Brooks as well for running...
Old 04-23-10, 08:44 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Kaiser-great write up! Have you had an IS sedan for a loaner? I love them! For $30k new I'd take it any day over the ugly German rival 3 series or one series, and the cclass. I agree with you on the comments about the isc and for the price you don't get much differentiation from the sedan. I like the is sedan much more than the es, base model to base model comparo, but I like a sporty ride and spirited feel- the is250 is what I usually get and I love it!! I think the sedan is much much more attractive than the conv.

In my opinion they should have launched the is coupe first this bodystyle and then the convertible with the first significant update (next year?). I looked at both the isc and the g37 before I bought my second sc. Some of the g37 haters have the same gripe about the g37 interior and I understand where they are coming from but to me the g37 is much better looking all the way around.

I won't say anything about the shoes, but the socks bro.... The socks!!! Lol. Did you get a pair of no-shows with your new Brooks?
Old 04-23-10, 11:41 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scdroptop
I like a sporty ride and spirited feel- the is250 is what I usually get and I love it!! I think the sedan is much much more attractive than the conv.
Same here. I usually get the IS250 for a loaner. It's quiet and fun to drive....and flies over da railroad tracks with hardly a tremble or noise! The last one I got had satellite radio and paddle shifters. Fun!
Old 04-24-10, 02:49 AM
Rahstyles
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
Martini, You are right, 100 bucks problem solved.

Peter, I am sorry, I knew a bunch of people owned these cars and would not like my take on it. I have been driving it all day, and have to keep it tomorrow and like the car less and less. You can stick as much laminate as you want, put in navi, but the materials inside this car are horrible, and putting on side skirts and a lip do not disguise a very utilitarian exterior. I had previously driven the ES, and found it to be a huge leap over what is offered in the IS. Comparing it to an SC makes it hard to believe the same automaker puts them out. I think every place Lexus could cut a corner on this car they did. I still can't get over the steering wheel, AC (or lack of it) and the way the switches feel. With the SC Lexus went for the best, and it shows.

i think the SC out of the box has a beautiful shape, and never invested in a body kit, because I can barely tell the difference. I understand one car is the flagship, and the other is the entry level. It is not fair to compare them, but since people want to, I did. i am being honest when I say, I could not live with this car.

That is the foot I use to kick A^^ !
lol..................