SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2008+ SC430 or 2010 G37 Convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-10, 06:49 PM
Glock3540
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008+ SC430 or 2010 G37 Convertible?

Hi Everyone,
I have been on this forum just about everyday for the past year or so.
I personally think the SC is a great car.

One of my eighth graders, that I teach in my Sunday School
Class, told me his dad is getting one of these G37's.

Just as a question; In your opinion (as unbiased as possible here) What are the pros and cons of the vehicles in comparison to each other?

My thread uses a 2008+ SC due to the similar pricing.

Thanks and God Bless,
Brian

P.S. I have a very good friend that has worked for Nissan for many years
and he tells me horror stories about what happens in the local
Nissan factory here in Smyrna.
Ever since Renault bought controlling stock in Nissan the styling
of their vehicles have got much better but I think the quality took
a hit. And yet, JD Powers rates them very high as a brand.....?
Old 04-05-10, 06:57 PM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is just my opinion. I have no experience with the G37, so my comment would probably be better off taken with a grain of salt.

IMO, both cars are in different leagues. The SC430 is a classic luxury roadster aimed at smooth & silky cruising. The G37 on the other hand is aimed at sporty driving and pushing it in the corners. The SC430 general body design is 9 years old, which I still love. However, other would say it is outdated. The G37 has a newer body style in terms of years but it looks very similar to the lines used on the SC (arguable).

The SC430 has a far more luxurious interior filled with leather and wood. The G37 isn't nearly as nice, geared more toward a sporty feel. I'm sure the list can go on, but these are the biggies IMO.

All in all, I think I'd still go for the SC430 except I'd upgrade it aesthetically with some wheels, etc. Very simply put, if you want sporty driving --> G37 || If you want a luxury cruiser --> SC430

Last edited by playa3uhh; 04-05-10 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-05-10, 07:19 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A friend had the G37. I rode in it and drove it several times. It's a little faster and has sportier handling. It has better technology like push button start. The backseat is more functional than the SC's. It'll probably hold its value better since it's at the start of its life cycle.

The SC430 has a plusher interior. They use a higher grade leather and the wood trim looks classier than the fake carbon fiber. The car itself feel much more solid. The G37 feels flimsy. I notice it the most opening and closing the doors. Personally, I prefer the SC's styling even after all these years. The G37 borrowed a lot from the SC. And there are a lot of kits out there to give you different looks. My guess is the SC will hold up better over time. '02s still look and drive like new. Who knows if that'll be the case with the G37.
Old 04-05-10, 07:45 PM
Ned Vo
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both are great cars!!!
Sc430 is classic luxury cruiser for 2 with v8 great fit n finish.
G37 is sportier, V6, better cornering, speed with modern look and tech.
I like them both!!! If I had to pick one between the two, I'd get the CLASSIC CRUISER, the Sc430. I'm getting some 06+ in off season. I really enjoy my 02 since I bought it.
Also, G37 is great if you think about hauling the rear passengers .
Old 04-05-10, 11:08 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check these past discussions. Nice pics, too.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...my-review.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ble-maybe.html

The pros and cons of the SC430 & G37 are noted on this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...at-i-want.html

Last edited by TooCoolSC; 04-05-10 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-06-10, 04:18 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've driven both cars, the SC430 is much more refined, ten years from now the Lexus will be more admired. But go with your gut, if you like great handling the g37 will deliver.
Old 04-06-10, 05:31 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove the G37.. not impressed.. it sounded tinny..the roof is a very complicated affair, that spells trouble in its future IMHO, and I can see if failing.

It's noisy, and does not speak quality to me.

I would be afraid of what would happen after the warranty ran out..
Katy
Old 04-06-10, 05:37 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by sc430guy
the sc will get you more p u s s y
the g37 will impress more of your young asian friends

OP: I would go with the G37 but that's just me I like the sportier feel. The SC430 is nice but it needs kit, wheels and drop.

Last edited by LexFather; 04-07-10 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Are you kidding me :egads: oh wait you're in Canada never mind........
Old 04-06-10, 06:39 AM
Yes

by the way, i would buy a 2006 and put the savings into wheels and coilovers. the '06 and '08 are identical anyway.
Old 04-06-10, 08:40 AM
Tyke
Driver

G37 is a nice car, but build quality not near as good as the Lexus.
Old 04-06-10, 10:44 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I took a long look at the G37 convertible in a showroom with a friend who was/is considering a hard-top convertible.

No question that the G37 has a lot more tech...push-button start, cooled seats, HD-based nav system, sat radio, iPod integration, locally-stored mp3's, etc, etc.

Also, there are some nice touches...the headliner is a continuous piece so, when the top is up, there's no seam-lines visible inside (roof looks like the roof of a coupe from the driver's seat). Also, the window-glass drops about 1/4" when you open the door, and then goes back up when you close it...so the doors are easy-to-open AND fit tightly.

The back seat is "more usable" than on the SC430, but I still wouldn't call it "usable"...unless you're an Asian family who's genetically below-average in height.

To me, there's a HUGE difference between "seats 4 adults" and "seats 4 adults with a 6-foot driver". The G37 is the former, not the latter.

The top mechanism seems A LOT more complicated than the SC430's...more moving parts. As far as I know, Nissan has good quality but, more parts means more to go wrong.

The G3*'s, in general, have a much throatier exhaust note...it SOUNDS like a sports car when you rev it. The SC430 exhaust is almost too-quiet sometimes.

Those are the things I noticed when we checked it out.
Old 04-06-10, 02:12 PM
scrdstr
Rookie

I am leary of anything any European car company has a hand in especially that wierd Renault.
Old 04-07-10, 08:56 AM
Yes

fyi, i just took a look at the G37 forum. it looks like the car has quite a few problems. people are complaining about leaking tops, cracked seats, rattling tops, clutch problems, ipod problems, windows not closing, intermittent power loss, etc... and that's just what i saw on the first two pages. 2002 SCs don't have nearly as many problems as they're experiencing, let alone a 2008. obviously, the build quality is not on par with lexus. so that's a major concern i would have with the G37.
Old 04-07-10, 09:41 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

There is a pretty offensive post above which I hope the moderators delete. This is not an age-restricted area of the Internet.

Having said that, Consumer Reports did a review of the G37. IMHO, the two cars look enough similar that the SC is not worth $30K more. The knock on the G37, according to Consumer Reports, was noise and ride, which the two primary reasons I have the SC.
Old 04-07-10, 07:03 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
It's a little faster and has sportier handling.
My neighbor has the G37 convertable and I spent a bit of time in it. It is a great car, and much better value than an SC. Performance wise, we have raced from a light several times, and at 60 he is always 3/4 of a car length behind me. The cars also look little a like up close. I think comparing apples, the G is a much nicer looking car than the IS, and I would pick it over the new lexus convertable hands down.

He also consistently gets less than 19MPG to my 22.

Quick Reply: 2008+ SC430 or 2010 G37 Convertible?