SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Fort Worth Car Show-No SC...but what shined instead??? NO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-10, 06:59 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Fort Worth Car Show-No SC...but what shined instead??? NO!!!

Okay, Fort Worth Car Show was supposed to be the EXACT same as Dallas, Houston, etc.

I took my four and a half year old son today and he had a blast.

His ticket was free, mine was $9.00. Worst $9.00 I ever spent!

First of all-it's pretty obvious things are going very badly for the BIG FOUR auto manufacturers, and I'll say Honda/Acura is the fifth. Toy/GM/Ford/Chry showed some of worst cars.

For example: Jeep showcased a pea soup green Patriot...a SUV they have scrapped. Really? Are you sure you want to show that?

Honda/Acura all they could do was show their ugly new wagon. Is that all these guys have to showcase? Boy, as a very fond former Legend coupe, Accord Coupe and S2000 lover, it's sad to say that Honda/Acura have lost three steps in the food chain. Sales may be up their in top five, but I'd take an Infiniti, BMW...maybe even a Hyundai over them now!

Not going to bore you with any of the Big 3 talk, except for the ZR01 is really unique looking and Ford is making some hay with their new sedans-really sharp.

The SC was not there, of course. The best looking convertible to replace it in my opinion was the G37 convertible. They put a HIDEOUS IS-C that was primered and looked like it was a track car. Very ugly. Then maybe the Miata hardtop. The Miata ditched it's ugly front fascia from the last couple years and went with a more aggressive look with less bumper and more grill, which, along with the hardtop and new wheels makes the little chick car really appealing to even a dude. Not appealing enough though ...don't get any ideas! LOL

Audi really is coming on strong. The S5 convertible and TT looked sweet and generated a lot of buzz along with this mystery car I'll post and the new Infiniti M37 were the most popular areas.

Mini appears to still be killing it and the Bimmer area was about as dead as the Jeep section. Lincoln had some nice stuff a new larger crossover wagon.

Here goes...enjoy
Attached Thumbnails Fort Worth Car Show-No SC...but what shined instead??? NO!!!-photo16.jpg   Fort Worth Car Show-No SC...but what shined instead??? NO!!!-photo14.jpg   Fort Worth Car Show-No SC...but what shined instead??? NO!!!-photo7.jpg   Fort Worth Car Show-No SC...but what shined instead??? NO!!!-photo9.jpg   Fort Worth Car Show-No SC...but what shined instead??? NO!!!-photo15.jpg  

Old 03-13-10, 07:07 PM
scdroptop

some other pics...

check out the silver sedan...WOW!!!! More on that Later...I need to do some research!

Still love the RS8

Check out the Viper...don't see too many of these around!

new interior wood on the G37 convertible.

New M37 Infiniti

and a hideous color choice for a car show for the new GX
Attached Thumbnails Fort Worth Car Show-No SC...but what shined instead??? NO!!!-photo5.jpg   Fort Worth Car Show-No SC...but what shined instead??? NO!!!-photo8.jpg   Fort Worth Car Show-No SC...but what shined instead??? NO!!!-photo17.jpg   Fort Worth Car Show-No SC...but what shined instead??? NO!!!-p23hoto.jpg   Fort Worth Car Show-No SC...but what shined instead??? NO!!!-photo11.jpg  

Old 03-13-10, 07:12 PM
scdroptop

does your car fit you PERFECTLY? My son SWORE the SMART car was made for little guys like him. So much that he wanted to buy it seriously! LOL

Here's Honda/Acura's showcase...pretty sorry. What happened to the prelude, S2000, NSX, Del Sol...Legend Coupe? No inspiration now. They are truly followers now, not leaders. Sad. I was a big Honda fan back in the late 80's to mid 90's. They lost their edge. I remember back in the day when you really were the bomb if you had an Accord EX or SUPER bomb if you had a Legend. The IS250 now is the everyday status car or the 3 series or G37.
Attached Thumbnails Fort Worth Car Show-No SC...but what shined instead??? NO!!!-photo10.jpg   Fort Worth Car Show-No SC...but what shined instead??? NO!!!-photo1.jpg   Fort Worth Car Show-No SC...but what shined instead??? NO!!!-photo12.jpg   Fort Worth Car Show-No SC...but what shined instead??? NO!!!-phot13o.jpg  
Old 03-13-10, 07:57 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I went to the Dallas Auto Show last week, BMW and Infiniti didn't show up at all. No SC430 from Lexus even though they did have the LF-A.
Old 03-13-10, 09:39 PM
xenonrider
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, that hyundai equus is looking pretty good...
Old 03-14-10, 07:09 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel like I went to the show! Thanks SC..
Katy
Old 03-14-10, 07:09 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xenonrider
wow, that hyundai equus is looking pretty good...
Hyundai is really designing some great looking cars !
Old 03-14-10, 07:12 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

SCDROPTOP, unless I was on a cart path at Pebble Beach, no member of my family would ever be allowed in the SMARTCAR !
Old 03-14-10, 08:15 AM
scdroptop

Ahhhh so that's what the heck that car is!!! I didn't realize it was a Hyundai because I couldn't read the darn badges on it. My son was pulling at my leg to go sit in the smart car next to it and all I could do was take the pic and admire it from a distance. It is so bright in there with all the lights sometimes it's hard to read the chrome badges. That car was HUGE! Very nice...like a Maybach or LS460L

tromly-couldn't agree more. Hopefully Ebony will be my son's first car. It is the same age as him. Let's see who makes it to 16 in all one piece first!
Old 03-14-10, 01:08 PM
lexus!!!!!
Rookie

Just went to the Minneapolis Auto Show yesterday, the biggest disappointment ever!!! I've been going every year, but this might be my last year for a while. There were barely anybody there on a Saturday, NO BMW! For Lexus, they only had one LS there, and it wasn't even an L or H version, no LX, no SC. Audi, no A8, and Acura, the only new vehicle was ZDX. I couldn't believe Acura's entire line ups still using traditional keys, WTH!!! (except for ZDX)

Anyway, the economy and the Big 4 sure tank this year. What a waste of $10.
Hyundai new Sonata was decent looking, but the material was CHEAP. I'd give it a try over the Camry and Accord if it's at least $4K cheaper.
Old 03-15-10, 12:09 AM
Shawn808
Driver

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Then maybe the Miata hardtop. The Miata ditched it's ugly front fascia from the last couple years and went with a more aggressive look with less bumper and more grill, which, along with the hardtop and new wheels makes the little chick car really appealing to even a dude. Not appealing enough though ...don't get any ideas! LOL
^^I like all your comments but this one kind of bothered me esp on a car forum with car guys/girls on it. I am just wondering if you ever drove a Miata before? That "chick car" comment coming from a guy who seems to know about cars from his comments does not seem right to me.

I have been to so many SCCA events where this light weight, FR car just punishes most cars costing 2 to 3 times as much with 2 to 3 times more HP. Plus after driving one I cant compare any car (including the S2K) that is comparable to the PURE driving feeling you get in a Miata...Something about driving a low power, light weight, well built and reliable RWD 50/50 weight distribution car to its limit is something I think every real driver should experience before bashing a car based on its looks or lack of 500+ HP numbers. (I think the countless praise and recognition by professional race car drivers on and offline on this "chick car" prove that point rather well)

I even think some former SC owners on here owned Miatas before....If you ever get the chance drive a miata to its limit, (any year and any model) I think you will rethink your mainstream its a "chick car" statement. Not to mention if you go with the general public our SCs are "chick cars" too! and stock for stock does not even hold a flame to how well a Miata handles.
Old 03-16-10, 09:58 AM
scdroptop

Shawn-I've never talked to you on this forum before nor have I seen your name before so obviously you and I don't know each other much. Some folks are more opinionated on forums and some are wallflowers. I like to get into good discussions and weigh in on some things...may make some comments I shouldn't have from time to time but I am very active on these forums and hope that I help more than hurt on CL. I may make some questionable comments based on how many grey gooses I've had or sometimes it's not the liquor I'm just being a knucklehead. I never would never intend to bash...

Having said that, I apologize if I offended anyone by calling the Miata a chick car. It was totally insensitive and ridiculous of me to make that stretch. It's totally manly and you are a stud if you are a guy and drive one. It's on par with a Chevy DuraMax Diesel Dually King Cab. Especially Mango!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5nhHsST-YM

http://www.miata.net/faq/colorcars.html

There was only one sunkist orange made, FYI if you like Miatas and here are a couple of great sites that showcase the "mango" car. LOL...interesting story. lonfrank will love it

COME ON!!! Can we grow some skin? It's a forum. Look at lonfranks posts if you want to be offended. My comment is probably shared by millions of others about the Miata. Seriously....are you saying that the Miata is NOT a chick car just because it's fun to drive, easily modifiable and you've seen some or maybe driven one to the limits? I couldn't agree more about the SCCA and tons of miatas, etc. I was OBVIOUSLY talking about DD, street miatas.

FYI, I was like Mr. Mazda in the early 90's to mid 90's! Sorry if my post rubbed your feathers wrong. I speak from experience and yes, I've driven every bodystyle of the miata since it's inception and wanted to buy about every one of them! Very fun...great dependability too. I love them. Could never feel totally comfortable with my legs/lumbar/back in the cars. Although the rx-7 or S2000 I've owned were not much bigger, the height of the seat in relation to the floor somehow fit me better. As a guy though, and secure in my manhood, I KNOW my buddies would give me crap about owning one and furthermore being a bigger guy I don't feel comfortable in a Miata. Do I know about Miatas you ask?

Hell, they should have invited me to their consumer research meetings I bought so many mazdas!! If they ever made the miata more roomy for the drivers legs side to side or raised the seat, I could have done one. I've owned seven rx-7 convertibles and two mx-6 LS V6 coupes (ford probe sister) which were both chick cars. I got enough crap for driving those! Same thing with my Eclipse GST Sypder. Another manly car I owned.

The ultimate Miata (IMO) is the M Edition from 1993-1996 with the hardtop, nardi steering wheel, bose headrests in green/tan leather. Called Montego Blue. BBS spoke wheels. Wow...what a nice car!!!! The Twighlight Amethyst (Purple) M Edition is pretty cool too. I couldn't agree with you more about the handling of the Miata. Especially in the R Editions. Have you driven those, Shawn? In 2005 they made a supercharged Mazdaspeed (they don't currently have plans to make it in the currenty bodystyle unfortunately) in black, blue and red that had bigger wheels/brakes, tighter suspension and a SC on it. I believe it gave it +40HP. I love the Miata. Especially Chris's "Mango" miata in that movie...always loved that bright blue or the yellow one, but could never pull the trigger. http://www.miata.net/faq/mfield.html

I'm the KING of the chick cars, and I am confident in saying that. I wasn't dissing the Miata, I like it. I posted a nice pic of a red 2009 hardtop at my gym not that long ago.

I can dig it up for you if you want to debate it, but I believe I saw some data a while back that showed nearly 80% of all buyers for that car were female.

I couldn't agree with you more about the handling of the miata and the looks are great IMO but I could never fit comfortably otherwise I would have for sure owned one. Oh, and if I was female and/or had all female friends!

At the end of the day you have to ask yourself...do you really care you drive a chick car? Or someone calls your car a chick car? You were offended with my comment, but honestly I just said what everyone else thinks and says as well. Did you every buy a car to "get chicks" and doesn't your wife like/drive your car too? So, a chick car is not that bad after all is it? Miata/SC/EOS/Celica/CLK whatever.

Just opinions...and yeah, I've driven them and loved Miatas probably way too much for the average guy. They do handle great. Great hp/weight ratio and nice short throws. Hope you are not too distraught over my racy comments. Guess I should have put "IMO" before that statement
Old 03-16-10, 10:01 AM
Dez
Driver

I think that IS C is gorgeous, but I'm a huge fan of matte finish.
Old 03-16-10, 10:14 AM
scdroptop

and that's why there is a color for everyone! I grew up staring at my dad and my uncle's late 60's and early 70's GTOs, firebirds and camaros all primered LOL, I always liked them as a kid
Old 03-16-10, 01:21 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
I apologize if I offended anyone by calling the Miata a chick car. It was totally insensitive and ridiculous of me to make that stretch.
What a chick apology. Wuss!

Quick Reply: Fort Worth Car Show-No SC...but what shined instead??? NO!!!