SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Looking for vendor who sells and installs rear view cameras

Old 03-12-10, 01:01 PM
carbuff
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Looking for vendor who sells and installs rear view cameras

Greetings

I want a vendor in the Phoenix, AZ area that sells and installs backup cameras for the 2008 SC430.

Secondly, I found two mfg on the internet with backup units who use the SC430 Navigation screen to display backup images when the car is in reverse.

These mfg are:

NAV TOOL
and
NAV VIDEO

Do any of you have any experience with either of these two?

Last edited by carbuff; 03-14-10 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Added data
Old 03-18-10, 02:42 AM
carbuff
Driver

As of March 16 no responses were received to my post. However, my research done during the interim revealed a number of mfg for both the video interface modules and cameras needed to provide backup images.

I chose the NAV-TV RGBLEXA video interfacing module to hook up with the SC's OEM navigation system located in the trunk and a Rostra 250-8082 color camera affixed to the underlip of the recessed rear license plate compartment.

The camera is connected to the module and its image is displayed on the OEM navigation screen when the car is in reverse.

I am having AutoStyle in Peoria, AZ do the installation.

Last edited by carbuff; 03-18-10 at 03:27 AM.
Old 03-20-10, 10:28 PM
flygirl62
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question: does the wood panel that covers the NAV screen open automatically when you put it into reverse? Or do you leave it open/open it prior to backing up?
Old 03-20-10, 10:50 PM
Shawn808
Driver

Thanks for doing that research. Can you post a pic of what the camera looks like and where exactly you mounted it?
Old 03-21-10, 02:03 AM
carbuff
Driver

flygirl62, the wood panel that covers the Nav screen in my SC automatically opens when I start the engine and remains open unless I push the dash button to close it. It automatically closes when I shut off the engine.

Shawn808, after the installation is complete, I will take a photo and post it.

The two attributes of this backup camera system that most pleases me is that the picture of what is behind the car will be displayed on the OEM Nav screen and not on a separate display unit mounted on the dash or shown in a section of the rear view mirror.

The second attribute that seems to be excellent is that the camera projects 160 degrees of peripheral vision. That should present a wide picture for safety purposes.
Old 03-21-10, 03:48 AM
carbuff
Driver

Attached are photos of the camera and module of the system that I am installing in my 2008 Lexus SC430

Rostra RearSight 1/4” CMOS Hybrid Color Camera
Camera Features:
1/4” CMOS Color Camera
.5 Lux High Resolution Display
160 Degree Peripheral View
Excellent Depth of Field
Waterproof Case w/Anti-fog Lens
Waterproof Connectors
Protective Shroud
6’ Power Harness & Male/Female DC Power Adapters
Bracket Style 250-8082A
Includes 30’ Extension Harness

=================================================
NAV-TV RGBLEX
Video interfacing module

Video interfacing module. Provides two video inputs to factory navigation screen. This is plug & play at the navigation*computer. 1 video input* 1 rear camera input. Requires a Factory Navigation System that is a Two Piece system, with a monitor and an external Brain module. Plugs in at navigation drive.
Attached Thumbnails Looking for vendor who sells and installs rear view cameras-product_32.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-10, 08:14 AM
SC430Sam
Driver

How much is the installation going to run you?
Old 03-21-10, 08:44 AM
Options2k
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carbuff
NAV-TV RGBLEX
Video interfacing module

Video interfacing module. Provides two video inputs to factory navigation screen. This is plug & play at the navigation*computer. 1 video input* 1 rear camera input. Requires a Factory Navigation System that is a Two Piece system, with a monitor and an external Brain module. Plugs in at navigation drive.
Carbuff, how much is the NAV-TV module? Where did you buy this?

Do you know if the RGBLEX module bypasses the legal warning and goes into reverse instantly? Let me explain.....one of the issues that the aftermarket reverse cameras have is that they don't switch to rear view even when the car is in reverse gear because the screen is displaying the "NAV legal disclaimer". Solution I found was to accept the disclaimer and then put the car in reverse - something I forgot when I was in a hurry. Of course, the oem rear view camera in my GX comes instantly on regardless of whether the legal warning was accepted or not.

Which one of the two, RGBLEX or NAVTOOL goes into rear view instantly, regardless of whether the legal warning has been accepted or not?

Thanks.

Cheers.
Old 03-21-10, 08:47 AM
carbuff
Driver

Devices, shipping, tax & installation: $761
The following users liked this post:
peten (02-01-17)
Old 03-21-10, 09:01 AM
carbuff
Driver

Options2k

Here is the website with pricing for the module:

http://navtv.com/product/21/rgblex-....eShowProduct=1

Their home page lists index for other cars as well as the SC.

I do not know about the disclaimer text on the Nav screen. Once it is installed, I will post about it.

Thanks for the heads-up about this factor.

FYI, I also looked at NAV-TOOL and NAV-VIDEO. Both were less expensive then NAV-TV.

The installer shop had experience with NAV-TV and their comments guided me in my choice of both the module and camera.
Old 03-21-10, 10:24 AM
Options2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by carbuff

I do not know about the disclaimer text on the Nav screen. Once it is installed, I will post about it.
Thanks. Please do let us know your experience.
Old 03-21-10, 12:42 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Good, but expensive

I purchased vais tech and nav tool through CL group buys and paid my installer $1200 for labor and misc parts including the back-up camera. So I now have a back-up camera (whenever the car is in reverse), a switch to go from navigation to aux. Aux is a set of RCA jacks that I can hook up my ipod, dvd player, or video game to. Those jacks are in the console next to the 12 volt plug. It was expensive, but gave me all the tech I wanted. A person with the confidence could save themselves about $800 in labor. I rather pay it and not screw up my sc.
Old 03-21-10, 02:51 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Solman
So I now have a back-up camera (whenever the car is in reverse)..
Solmon, it's worth every penny if it works out the way you want it.

A question: Right after you start the car, do you acknowledge the legal disclaimer or put the car in reverse. If you put the car in reverse, does the nav switch to rear view, instantly?

I have heard that the vaistech module acknowledges/cancels the legal disclaimer? Does it? If true, then in your case, the NAV may be switching to rear view without the need to press the "I agree" button?

Thanks.
Old 03-21-10, 04:27 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The camera supercedes everything, therefore always goes on when in reverse. When it turns off (no longer in reverse), you either get the ipod or the "I agree" depending on the position of the switch. You just need to keep the nav door in the open position or you wont be looking at the camera. To be honest with you I am usually playing music videos on my port dvd which plays through the nav rather than the ipod. I like that I have that choice.
Old 03-21-10, 08:44 PM
Options2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Solman
The camera supercedes everything, therefore always goes on when in reverse. When it turns off (no longer in reverse), you either get the ipod or the "I agree" depending on the position of the switch. You just need to keep the nav door in the open position or you wont be looking at the camera.
Great....actually, makes sense after hearing from you. Probably, the NAVTOOL intercepts the feed from the NAV computer to the screen when the camera is activated by the reverse gear position. Since the screen is already turned on as soon as the car starts, rear-view image from the camera is displayed "processed" by the NAVTOOL. If this reasoning is correct then NAV-TV RGBLEX module will work too.

My (bad) experience was with a Pioneer (aftermarket) NAV and a rear-view camera. In this case, the NAV unit (processor for everything) did not allow anything to happen till the "I agree" button was acknowledged.

Solman and Carbuff: Can you please post pics of the camera installation, if possible, to get ideas for my install.

Thanks.

Cheers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for vendor who sells and installs rear view cameras