SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Sportier Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-10, 08:55 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sportier Suspension

Yes, I know the SC430 is not the same type of car as the IS300 that I owned previously, but I am reading on this site that some have changed the coilovers to where they've experienced the best handling on "any" car they've ever driven.

I got into my friends IS300, which I sold to him, after not been in it for about a year and I really loved the way it handled - tighter than the SC430 yet not as harsh as a Corvette. What would you recommend to give me a similar ride? TEIN COMFORT SERIES Coil Overs? Or are they too "comfortable?" How much different are they then stock? And are these $2K for a set of 4 or for each individual one?

The TEIN EDFC Electronic Damping Force Controller - will this also raise and lower the car?

Any others to consider ?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-11-10, 09:52 PM
Ned Vo
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Peter,
I have Tein CS on my sc430. Based on my experience, they are too comfortable. I have them set at max for stiffness. This set is great for cruising not twist and turn at sharp corners etc...I like them . You can lower your car up to 2" with no issues.

Tein EDFC............does not raise or lower your car. All it does is controlling the stiffness of your F&R suspension....Go for Tein CS if you're planning lowering your car or getting 19'+ wheels....take care
The following users liked this post:
ZMTLSC430 (09-04-21)
Old 03-12-10, 12:51 AM
vietpr1nce
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ned Vo
Peter,
I have Tein CS on my sc430. Based on my experience, they are too comfortable. I have them set at max for stiffness. This set is great for cruising not twist and turn at sharp corners etc...I like them . You can lower your car up to 2" with no issues.

Tein EDFC............does not raise or lower your car. All it does is controlling the stiffness of your F&R suspension....Go for Tein CS if you're planning lowering your car or getting 19'+ wheels....take care
I'm looking to get the tein cs coilovers but curious if I'll be able to tuck tires on 20" wheels. do you have pics of your car with the tein cs??
Old 03-12-10, 06:12 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Peter,

Thanks Ned.

Eventually I will purchase larger than stock wheels and will want to lower it to some degree. I have a small ramp to go over just before my garage that I come really close to scraping so that would be the only time I would have wanted to use the EDFC.

So how do you compare them to the stock? How do they behave differently?
Old 03-13-10, 05:32 AM
Ned Vo
Driver

Hi,
VietPrice...check out my ride with Tein CS and 20" Iforged ....look at the very first picture....you'd see how they look.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...es-inside.html

Peter,
" how do you compare them to the stock? How do they behave differently? "
It's almost stock with the ability to lower our cars. If you prefer softer ride, all you have to do is set the stiffness to the minimal (counter clock wise). I believe it's 32 clicks/ways to adjust them to your taste...go for it
Take care
Ned
Old 03-15-10, 10:07 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

I also like the IS300 suspension. It's comfy enough to drive over sharp humps in the mall (unlike my SC) but tighter overall which makes it so fun to drive. If I can achieve that setup in the SC, I'll be set. No plans to lower the suspension.
Old 03-15-10, 05:32 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Hi,
VietPrice...check out my ride with Tein CS and 20" Iforged ....look at the very first picture....you'd see how they look.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...es-inside.html

Peter,
" how do you compare them to the stock? How do they behave differently? "
It's almost stock with the ability to lower our cars. If you prefer softer ride, all you have to do is set the stiffness to the minimal (counter clock wise). I believe it's 32 clicks/ways to adjust them to your taste...go for it
Take care
Ned
Thanks! Sweet ride! I remember when you 1st posted those pics

"almost"? So at best, when you set it to handle as good as it gets, is it almost as good or better? Is the comfy factor almost as good, or better? Can it be set to be more confy and handle better, than stock, all in the same setting?

Last question - are they $2K for a set of 4 or each?

Thanks!
Old 03-15-10, 11:04 PM
Ned Vo
Driver

Peter,
Better ride IMO. You can set them however you like, soft, sfter or hard harder. This set has 32 clicks/ways to set to your confort.
Carson had them at GB for less than $1300 at one time. Usually, you can get them around $1700 in change for all 4.
Good luck
N. vo
Old 03-16-10, 06:54 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Peter,
Better ride IMO. You can set them however you like, soft, sfter or hard harder. This set has 32 clicks/ways to set to your confort.
Carson had them at GB for less than $1300 at one time. Usually, you can get them around $1700 in change for all 4.
Good luck
N. vo
Thanks Ned.

I was seeig them advertised but couldn't tell if it was each one or each set of 4.

The ride height is definitely in the range I want. I'm just not sure if it will be sporty enough - anyone with these on their SC430 near Huntington Beach want to give me a test drive?
Old 03-19-10, 08:26 AM
Dan_K
Lead Lap

Hi Peter,

I had the Tein CS but ordered the stiffer spring set for them. I recall that the springs that come with the CS were soft, but the stiffer spring option made them ride much better without having to adjust the compression to full hard. If anything, I adjusted the rebound out. Good luck with your search.
Old 03-19-10, 06:00 PM
scrdstr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think i would get the Tein CS sounds like anyone who has them are happy with them. Thats what i am going to get for my SC
Old 03-28-10, 07:20 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by whitels
I also like the IS300 suspension. It's comfy enough to drive over sharp humps in the mall (unlike my SC) but tighter overall which makes it so fun to drive. If I can achieve that setup in the SC, I'll be set. No plans to lower the suspension.
Is it stock suspension that your SC rides like that?
Old 03-28-10, 07:40 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dan_K
Hi Peter,

I had the Tein CS but ordered the stiffer spring set for them. I recall that the springs that come with the CS were soft, but the stiffer spring option made them ride much better without having to adjust the compression to full hard. If anything, I adjusted the rebound out. Good luck with your search.
Hi Dan,

Do you remember which springs you ordered? Was it an option to purchase it with one or the other, or did you have to purchase it in addition to the standard ones that comes with it? Which dealer was this?
Old 03-28-10, 08:27 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

the tein cs are sportier than stock. i noticed a big improvement in handling. but they're not harsh. it's not like riding in a 350z or anything like that. you could also add sway bars, which will make your suspension stiffer in turns. but i was happy with the way it drove just doing coilovers.
Old 03-28-10, 08:41 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
the tein cs are sportier than stock. i noticed a big improvement in handling. but they're not harsh. it's not like riding in a 350z or anything like that. you could also add sway bars, which will make your suspension stiffer in turns. but i was happy with the way it drove just doing coilovers.
Cool! That's good to know! Thanks!

And I was thinking of the anti-sway bars too. It makes sense to see how the new coil overs go first without them.

But I still want to see what DanyK has to say about the Teins with stiffer coils.

Getting closer to the suspension i am looking for. Hopefully this means I will be getting the new suspensions with the new wheels.

Quick Reply: Sportier Suspension