SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Buying SC430 vs. MB SL500 vs. Jaguar XK8?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-10, 07:28 AM
Pookey6868
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying SC430 vs. MB SL500 vs. Jaguar XK8?

Good day to everyone, this is my first post here. A friend of mine told me about this site and it is great. I have read some of the things on here and it is very informative and appreciate all of the feedback.

Well, I need your help and would appreciate any thoughts you might have.
My wife and I want to buy a fun and sporty car for a second car. We have narrowed down the search to 3 cars we like. To fit our budget, we are looking at a 2002 - 2005 Lexus sc430 or 2003 - 2005 Mercedes sl500 or Jaguar 2007 xk8. I would like to stay in the $20's for price and the Jaguar I would have to borrow part of the money to buy that. I will be taking the chance of owning the car without any warranty except for the Jaguar will still probably be under warranty. I really prefer not to pay for an extended warranty and take my chances.

Lexus SC430 - This is my leading car to buy I think. Pros - just about everything from styling to reliability to comfort. Negatives - I really can't think of anything.

Mercedes Sl500 - Maybe second choice. Pros - Styling and comfort. Maybe a little more status than the Lexus, but not sure? Negatives - This is where I need some HELP. I just seem to hear so many Negative stories of high repair bills and maintenance bills. Stories of very expensive to repair. Since I really don't want to pay for any type of extended warranty, this seems like a big concern for me. I remember one guy a while back telling he had to replace the instrument cluster in the dash behind the speedometer and it was just short of $3,000. This was in a 04 or 05 sl, can't remember which. If you have any thoughts or experiences or opinions, they are greatly welcome.

Jaguar xk8 convertible - Pros - My wife likes the styling. Negatives - It has a canvas top instead of the hardtop for the other two. My wife likes the new design that started in 2007. This might be one of my biggest problems. I don't know if any of you have ever had any experiences with this or not but here it is. In the prior to 2007 model convertibles, I spent a good amount of time trying to adjust the drivers seat but failed to get it so that my head does not hit the canvas top as I sit in it. I am 6' 2''. The only way I can drive it is to lean into the middle so that my head does hit the top. So I thought with the redesign for 2007 maybe they made more headroom. For me it seems like they made a little improvement but I still seem barely hit my head on the top sitting up straight. I don't even have any hair. So even though my wife likes the stying, I find it hard to justify spending a good chunk of money for me and not be comfortable just sitting in it. It even feels the most cramped out of the 3 cars for me. It seems very narrow for me sitting in it.

Sorry for the long message and I really do appreciate your time and any feedback you might have. I hate to make the wrong decision.

Thank You
Old 02-27-10, 08:12 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

One of the first questions that comes to mind is, how old are you guys? No I'm not trying to be pry nor offend your wife, but put the conversation into context. I believe age is a factor as it relates to attitude and expectations.

If there's one thing I think most of us would say about the three cars you've listed it's reliability of the Lexus versus the others. Even with the ongoing news of Toyota's problems, the Lexus tagline regarding the pursuit of perfection rings true with me. My wife and I have owned several over the years and rarely, no very rarely, had any problems. I purchased my 2002 SC in August for many of the same reasons you've cited. I kept my daily driver, but a funny thing happen over the last six months, my DD now sits and I drive the Coupe nearly everywhere I go. And, since I live in a warm weather city, the top is nearly always down. It may not be real high on a scale of what's important in life, but it sure is fun.

Right now prices are soft and falling, you may be able to get one for less than you think or newer than you expected.

Good luck on your search, and should you decide on the SC (you're crazy if you don't) you'll need to keep us informed and updated.

BTW welcome to the forum!

Last edited by VVTiBob; 02-27-10 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-27-10, 09:29 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Do 500 hours of research, evaluate all the pros and cons, talk to the mechanics that work on the cars, check the cost of insurance and maintaince. When you have all the answers and you feel informed do the smart thing. Buy whatever your wife wants.
Old 02-27-10, 10:13 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i can't give you an opinion on the jag. but i had an slk before i bought my sc. and i've driven the sl 500 a few times. the slk was the worst car i've ever owned. i ended up putting over $8,000 into repairs. $5,000 of that was in the last year i owned it. their reliability took a major nosedive after chrysler bought them. they since sold them off, but i don't think they've recovered. parts and service are insanely expensive.

in contrast, i've had no major issues with my sc. and unlike mercedes, you can go to toyota to have scheduled maintenance performed to save on labor. mercedes has no lower priced dealerships obviously.

as far as styling and prestige, i've had many, many more compliments on the sc. i get compliments from all age groups. older people, people in their 30s (like me), teenagers, kids. i've customized the sc more than the slk. but there's a lot more you can do with the sc.

the interiors are night and day different in the sc and sl 500. even their $100,000+ AMG versions feel cheap inside compared to the lexus.

overall, i'd say you're safe forgoing the warranty if that's what you want to do. just make sure all scheduled maintenance was performed. check the service history for any recurring problems. and go with the lowest milage your budget will allow. these cars are rock solid mechanically. but the lower the miles, the less wear and tear on components like the top. and know going in that if you do have a problem with a major component like the top, you could be out thousands of dollars. the chances of having a problem are small. but if you do have a problem, the consequences can be severe. if you change your mind and get a warranty, do your research. don't take whatever the dealer is offering. it's probably crap. search this site and you'll find reputable aftermarket warranties.

i'd also try to buy a car that's lived in the south or southwest where there's no snow. don't assume that because a dealership is in the south that's where the car was owned. most used cars are sold at auction and shipped all over the country. a car in tampa may have been owned in minneapolis.

good luck with your search.

Last edited by Yes; 02-27-10 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-27-10, 11:44 AM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the cars you are considering, I would recommend buying the SC430 WITH a CPO warranty. It's just the most reliable, best made of the 3, IMO. You should be able to find one for the price you're wanting to pay that qualifies as a CPO. A CPO and/or an extended warranty is just invaluable, IMO. Also, with a CPO car, you have extra peace of mind to know that the car is clean....no major problems, no wrecks, etc. That peace of mind will add to your overall enjoyment of the car.

With high priced cars like this, you need some kind of warranty when things go wrong.....and they WILL go wrong....even with a Lexus. You have to ask yourself, what would you do if something major went wrong and it cost $3,000 to fix? Could you afford to get it fixed? If you couldn't, what would you do? And even if nothing major went out, "little" things like speakers and TPM sensors are very expensive, too. It's not a matter of "if" those things will break, it's when.

More often than not, what I typically hear from people on this site is that they are very glad they spent the extra money on a warranty. Frequently, it pays for itself in no time at all. I don't think I've ever seen anyone on here that said they could kick themselves for spending the extra money on a warranty. With high priced items, you need the warranty. That's not so with less expensive things (like relatively low priced electronics and appliances), but with expensive cars, a warranty is just the smart thing to do, IMO.

Welcome to CL!
Old 02-27-10, 12:14 PM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have much input but in my opinion I would go with the SC430 purely because of the reliability and prestige. Mercedes and Jaguar have had MANY questions about their reliability and personally think they are good til 50K miles and then you get hit with repairs. I owned a Porsche before and the common theme with German cars is that they're good until that mile marker. As my signature states, I've been a loyal customer with Lexus/Toyota and intend to be because of their reliability, customer service, and superb quality.

I suggest you buy the SC and upgrade it to your liking. They are pretty rare (in terms of seeing them on the road) and this model spanned only 8 years with limited sale numbers. 2010 is the last production year for this model and the next SC is due out in 2014. So in theory this model will be the 'current' model for another 4 years!

I too looked into buying a Merc SL, but after doing research I didn't want to go that route because of maintenance cost. Why pay to maintain when you can use that money for upgrades! haha. Styling wise, i think they're all the same. Each has unique components and its individual character. Go with your gut instinct and buy the SC. Your presence on this forum is stating what your conscience is trying to tell you. Buy the SC and join the ClubLexus Family. GL! Let us know what happens.
Old 02-27-10, 12:17 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

I wouldn't touch the SL or the XK without a warranty. Considering the fact that they only made one bodystyle EVER of the SC, it will be a sure classic and very desirable model years after it's gone. The SL and XK keep getting better, more refined...perhaps better looking. I'm with your wife on the XK-the 2007 is WAYYYYY better!

I drove all three cars BOTH times I bought my SC if that tells you anything. First time I was looking at 2003-2004 SL's and they had a host of problems with them mainly electrical and stupid little quirks I hated like the 17-part cup holder that didn't work but also cost $600 to fix!!!! No doubt the MB has more status, maybe the jag too.

At the end of the day, best advice is to make your wife happy.

Would she be happy driving a camry loaner car or C class loaner or X-type loaner because the MBZ and Jag are going to be in the shop a lot? Think about that.

For me, the SC was chosen due to a perfect blend of styling, cost, peformance, comfort, convenience, dependability and options. IMO the 1997-2006 XK is VERY dated, even the later 2004-2007 refresh they had. Jag/Ford had TONS of problems with head gaskets and main seals, tranny problems.

If you like gadgets, the upside to the MBZ is that it has cooled seats and paddle shifting which are two options you cannot get on either car...HOWEVER big negative to me is that the the MBZ has NO back seat. Whether you have kids or grandkids, the back seat can be a huge plus. The SC back seat IMO is better than a XK back seat. I've tried both with my 4.5 year old son's booster and the SC fits perfectly!

The other thing to think about is the XK although it has a backseat, has a soft top. You get a lot of noise and in wet weather you get that lovely drip where the roof meets the window. Not sure where you live and if this is a consideration, but the SC is like two cars in one!!! To me, the backseat, the hardtop, the convertible...the dependability is all worth it!!! Plus you MIGHT be able to get a steal on an SC compared to a XK/MB.

Go to a jag or MB dealer and look in back by the service department and see how many are there. Also see if any have flat tires. This means they probably have an engine or tranny gone and have been sitting until the owner either comes up with enough cash to repair or they are trying to contemplate trading it in, etc. I've seen MANY of these!!!

Obviously you are going to get biased opinions on a Lexus forum, but I can tell you that after comparing/driving other cars both times I bought my SC, I still bought the SC .
Old 02-27-10, 12:30 PM
Tyke
Driver

Simple>

Lexus: Rock solid

SL500: VERY expensive parts and fixes. So unless u have lots and lots of money, stay far away from this.

XK8: Early models had troublesome engines, weak belt tensioners and some nagasaki (sp) coating in the engine that made them very fragile towards gas with high sulfur. Then later models they suppossedly fixed that but Ive heard of bunch of problems with throtle body, computer and tranny...

So if you want piece of mind, go fro the Lex!
Old 02-27-10, 12:37 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

If the car has warranty i'd do the SL500.... Or better yet SL55.
Old 02-27-10, 01:15 PM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
Buy whatever your wife wants.
This is KEY! Buy whatever the wife wants
Old 02-27-10, 05:17 PM
coach1
Pole Position

Owned my 92 SL500 for 13yrs.....loved that car. Kept it 12yrs too long though. Traded it in on a 2003 SC430. Best day or my car life. Found out the school teacher that bought it after me kept it for 14 months, ran up $1500 in repair bills, traded it in on a Toyota who now has it in back of the shop waiting for a head gasket and a heater core. Those items hadn't even made the list. My list was potential $6K repairs such as AC, motherboard, motor mounts, timing belt, anyone of which would have exceeded the value of the car. What is sad about this story is I paid $56K in 95 and the original owner paid $87K.

I'll be driving my SC 13yrs from now and I am willing to bet I won't be worried about repair bills and as happy with the performance as I am today.
Old 02-27-10, 05:33 PM
sc430guy
Rookie

I like SLs a lot, but I dump a lot of money into cars already. If you want something that will last (I assume you do due to your price range) Id go with the lexus.

Personally Id go for a 2006+ sc430 so you can have a tiptronic shifter and updated headlights, tail lights, and stock rims.
Old 02-27-10, 05:39 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpio74
This is KEY! Buy whatever the wife wants
Hahahaha.. lol..
Old 02-27-10, 05:42 PM
robsvdp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tyke
Simple>

XK8: Early models had troublesome engines, weak belt tensioners and some nagasaki (sp) coating in the engine that made them very fragile towards gas with high sulfur. Then later models they suppossedly fixed that but Ive heard of bunch of problems with throtle body, computer and tranny...
Just for clarification, the '07 Xk is a totally different car. I had a jag with the Nikasil lined engine (mine never gave me a problem) but the timing tensioners did go out. The tranny and throttle are also problems of the earlier cars, not the current model. That's not to say the current one doesn't have issues; but if it does, it's too soon to tell.
Old 02-27-10, 08:50 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

would be glad to help you find some nice SC's if you want...

Let us know what color preferences, mileage/price limits.

Just to give you some framework on SC's pricing and years/colors:

2006's are starting to crack into the $20k's...$28-$29k is the lowest we've seen, and not that many of them. 2006+ offered the most changes that the SC's have had.

2005's are regularly in the mid to high $20k's...low $20k's at wholesalers with no warranty and no service history maybe higher mileage, but low miles, CPO Lexus cars (3 year 100k warranty included bumper to bumper) are just now getting to be under $30k 2005 is a great year because it offers bluetooth, more compatible audio system to add an aftermarket ipod system to and a newer nav system. Most are out of warranty unless one sold into the year 2006 for some reason, but many owners may have bought extended lexus warranties, which are transferrable and there are plenty of CPO 2005's.

2004's you can easily find in this range and 03's and 02's in the $20k's all day long. No differences in these three years. You may be able to find a 2004 CPO at a dealer. Would recommend buying the lowest mileage, best maintained in these years as they are all out of warranty (4/50).

Lexus offered some rare models...2002 Neiman Marcus, 2004-2009 Pebble Beach Editions if you like super rare cars with different interiors and options.

Most popular colors are your typical black, white and silver. Red was popular till 2005, but in 2006 they stopped it and went to more burgandy. Pine (hunter green) and Twilight Amethyst were two of the sharpest, lower production colors if you want a unique color but not special edition. Typically in the 2005 and under models you will find Ecru (light tan) with birdseye maple (yellowish wood) or the Black with dark wood as most popular interior colors, but saddle (orange/basketball color) with dark wood was popular in some colors like black/white/green.

I love searching for cars personally so I'd be glad to help. I look at cars.com, autotrader.com, ebay and craigslits. Also a great resource to kick the tires on pristine, often over priced cars (but oddly enough how I found a STEAL on my car) is www.lexus.com Click on the Certified Preowned at the top.

Here is a sample of some cars in the $20k's...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...item3efd3de228

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...item27af95d936

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...item5d282c5807

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-own...item2305882bf3

http://www.lcpo.com/cpo_poresults.ps...hSortOrder=asc

Some great choices on the lexus site...all 2004's and under with decent miles mostly black, blue...one gold and one 2004 pebble beach (very cool car with 30k miles).

Last edited by scdroptop; 02-27-10 at 08:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Buying SC430 vs. MB SL500 vs. Jaguar XK8?