SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Air Intake Systems

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-10, 04:27 PM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ALterious,
The Injen intake you noted is a warm/hot air intake, not a cold air intake. Take a look at the installation of the stock intake.The air inlet is out front in the cold air stream and does not have to deal with hot engine compartment temps. It all about the temps. Flow is good but cold air is best for making Hp! The engine compartment in the SC does not have a cold air path to the intake for the Injen you note.

I own this intake and installed it on our SC. Here's what I can prove:
- Better sound from the engine.
- Better looks in the engine compartment
- Lumpy idle in hot weather. (No cold air intake path)
- No increase in mileage

I have no idea about a Hp gain but as a degreed, licensed, practicing Mechanical Engineer with a fluid dynamics background I can tell you that unless you are dropping the intake temp 50+ degrees or so below what the engine compartment is, the Hp gain is NIL. You in fact may lose Hp and I believe this is the case in the dead of summer in North Carolina with our SC.

Not saying don't do it, just make sure the numbers they post pass the sanity check!
Old 02-15-10, 12:47 PM
Alterious
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finished Product

I've been working on my car the past 4 days and i am almost done!

Here is the new intake system and i am going to post pictures of my new rotors and brake calipers on my other forum. I cleaned the engine compartment

Old 02-15-10, 02:23 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Very nice.... they clean up very nicely with just a little TLC...
Old 02-15-10, 04:12 PM
Alterious
Driver

Thank you Bob
Old 02-15-10, 07:45 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

very nice! You are in NV, so can you comment on the heat shield and warm (not sure if you guys are getting this nasty winter too) climate actually slowing the car down?

I have my finger on the trigger on an injen, but have paused it basically due to the fact that all I've read on this forum is that there is no HP gain, no noticeable torque increase, just some aesthetics and sound differences. I'm wondering if I am better off just putting a drop in K&N or Blitz (they make a nice one too) and call it a day?
Old 02-15-10, 08:04 PM
Alterious
Driver

i don't know from what i have read it's suppose to give more HP and it does sound nice. This thing cost me $200 from eBay and to be honest i rather have this than my stock intake. Because if you change your filter with a K&N it's $50 right there so why not spend the extra $150 and get something better
Old 02-15-10, 08:18 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

keep us posted...especially when it gets warmer and you get the sc on a long drive...maybe too new to tell for you yet. I am in Tx so if it works for you, surely it will work for me?
Old 02-15-10, 09:08 PM
Alterious
Driver

well it sure gets hot in Vegas it's suppose to be 68 tomorrow but it's been a very long time since i took her out for a stretch which i was thinking about doing today. But one of these weekends if i catch up with my studies i am thinking about driving out to Cali/Nevada state line that would be a nice drive then i will let you know for sure and i'll post more pictures after i put my new pedals in
Old 12-16-10, 05:17 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bringing back an old post with a question...I have the Injen intake, and you can see from Alterious' picture that the corner of the engine cover hits the intake (mine does too). Does anyone know a solution for this problem? Whether its a different engine cover (where to buy?), or cutting the stock cover?
Old 12-16-10, 05:57 AM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by redliner8
Bringing back an old post with a question...I have the Injen intake, and you can see from Alterious' picture that the corner of the engine cover hits the intake (mine does too). Does anyone know a solution for this problem? Whether its a different engine cover (where to buy?), or cutting the stock cover?
I just used a Dremel to cut the corner of the engine cover off, and made the corners smooth and rounded. Worked good.
Old 12-16-10, 06:37 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks. After you cut the corner, was it difficult to match the smooth rounded edges of the part you didn't cut? I haven't used a Dremel before.
Old 12-16-10, 10:00 AM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll try and take a picture later when I get a chance.

Yeah the cold airflow is a problem with the Injen because you lose the stock diverter, which I knew before I purchased it, but I like the sound a lot so it was worth it to me lol. I was looking at constructing an air tunnel out of sheet aluminum to get more air on the filter but never got around to it this summer. It's pretty tight in there.
Old 12-16-10, 10:10 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks. A custom air tunnel would be awesome. I've considered modifying the stock tunnel but decided to keep it as is, in case I need to sell the car.
Old 12-16-10, 01:39 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Alterious, don't know about the hp increase, but it hasn't helped the mpg one bit. But me thinks it's cause both the wife and I love to hear the "growl" when you get on it. So there goes the mpgs. I have the Injen. been on about a month. We both love it.
Old 04-25-11, 03:00 PM
SILVRLININ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would the above intake be compatible with a 09'???

Quick Reply: SC430 Air Intake Systems