SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Wald & 19" or 20" and lowering?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-10, 06:22 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Wald & 19" or 20" and lowering?

For those that have a Wald kit on their SC430 and are running 19" or 20" wheels, did you lower the car? Or is it too low? Just wondering.....
Old 01-26-10, 08:59 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RRocket
For those that have a Wald kit on their SC430 and are running 19" or 20" wheels, did you lower the car? Or is it too low? Just wondering.....
I'm lowered about 1.5" all around on Tein CS & 19" wheels. I could go lower still. Gotta watch out for bumps, ramps, etc., but as long as I'm careful there's no issues. The wheel diameter doesn't matter as long as the overall circumference of your wheel/tire combo is in-check.
Old 01-26-10, 12:04 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Im lowered all the way on Tein CS coilovers and 20". With the Wald front you will scrape. I scrape speed bumps and going up my drive unless I get the angle just right.

But you have to have it lowered or it will look pants. But the Wald front seems to take knocks pretty well. Ive got out my car in the road thinking Ive killed it to see its fine and you only scrape the underside so its not visable anyway.

Cats dont like it though, they like to sit under the car.. but they cant fit

Last edited by aquanuke; 01-26-10 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-26-10, 04:00 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for 18's w/ lowering springs and WALD KIT, it's even lower. I have this setup.
Scrape front all the time but that's the price you pay when you go modified.

for 19's and 20's, depending on the type of suspension you get, it's adjustable w/ coilovers but for springs not adjustable.

good luck...martini3
Old 01-26-10, 06:14 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmmm..I have Swift Springs and was going to go with 19's.(maybe 20s). Swift drops the front 20mm and the back about 15mm. Will this work??
Old 01-26-10, 06:33 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RRocket
Hmmmm..I have Swift Springs and was going to go with 19's.(maybe 20s). Swift drops the front 20mm and the back about 15mm. Will this work??

I would drop it double that, does not seem worth the effort.
Old 01-26-10, 06:39 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

^^I think you'd want to go lower in the rear than front. the rear sits quite a bit higher. and i'd also suggest going lower overall.
Old 01-26-10, 07:04 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Lower, eh? I love my Swifts...have had them in my GS, my Supra too. Ok..what springs what you recommend? Not terribly interested in coil-overs...
Old 01-28-10, 08:40 PM
vietpr1nce
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

im on 20s with the vertex kit lowered on h&r springs. no rub no issue. still going to lower more with coilover later.
Old 01-28-10, 10:22 PM
Ned Vo
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you could afford the WALD executive kit, you could afford buying a set of COILCOVER. I have had Tein Flex in my 300zx TT, HKS CS in my G35 coupe APS single turbo, and now Tein CS in my Sc430. "Do it right, do it once"

19" or 20" ? I have 20" Iforged Aero on my sc430. They look small due to the shape of our beloved Sc430 (IMO). My 19" Maya RT5 looked bigger on my previous G35 APS turbo coupe. If I were going to put on the Wald kit, 20" is a must.

Also, 20" tires cost same or less than 19". Most people would disagree with me on this comment .
Take care
Old 01-29-10, 09:45 AM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't already know this but I'll throw it out anyways since we're on the topic of rims, kit and lowering modifications.

Due to the lower profile of the WALD kit, when you have your car lowered,
your front end will not clear the parking lot rectangular cement blocks.

Therefore, you must predict when to stop before you scratch your WALD front spoiler on the concrete cement block in the parking space.

Your driving and parking habits will dramatically change every time you think about parking here and there.

Ater all these years, I still forget things and the other day, I backed the rear up too far into the parking space and my WALD rear spoiler got caught on the cement.

When I pulled out, the WALD spoiler ripped in two places.

it's getting repaired and painted and should be ready to put back in about 5 days.

It sucks not to be able to park anywhere anymore cause of the WALD kit and lowering modification. But hey, it's been like this for 6 years and I was too careful and then, BAMM! stupid mistake. Oh well. Live and Learn.

Here's some of the thoughts that go thru my head when I find a parking space:
- Corner parking space is good if wide engough (I don't have to worry about both door dings but minimize the risk of only one side)
- Not going to park between two cars if space if not wide enough
- parking lot is too full and too many cars driving in/out of the lanes
- go farther down the lane to find better and open parking spaces
- never park next to a car that has their rear wheels on the painted divider lane.
- if parking close is unavailable, then just park far away but not too far away.

But when you have a nice car, you gots to treat her right.....

martini3

Last edited by martini3; 01-29-10 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-30-10, 01:05 PM
socal3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just picked up a sc430. It has 20" on it and it looks like a 4x4 I was wondering which springs or coilovers have the best ride I want to keep the lexus feel and not look like a civic with the springs cut.
Thanks.
Old 01-30-10, 03:23 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by socal3
I just picked up a sc430. It has 20" on it and it looks like a 4x4 I was wondering which springs or coilovers have the best ride I want to keep the lexus feel and not look like a civic with the springs cut.
Thanks.
Tein CS coilovers. The CS is short for comfort sport.
Old 02-01-10, 05:04 PM
socal3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Liquid Sc for the info. I'm looking right now for some.
Old 03-12-10, 01:03 AM
vietpr1nce
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aquanuke
Im lowered all the way on Tein CS coilovers and 20". With the Wald front you will scrape. I scrape speed bumps and going up my drive unless I get the angle just right.

But you have to have it lowered or it will look pants. But the Wald front seems to take knocks pretty well. Ive got out my car in the road thinking Ive killed it to see its fine and you only scrape the underside so its not visable anyway.

Cats dont like it though, they like to sit under the car.. but they cant fit

with the tein CS, are you able to tuck the tires at the lowest setting??

Quick Reply: Wald & 19" or 20" and lowering?