Search this Thread

Old 01-24-10, 09:37 AM
johndoe10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Dent Removal

Guys quick question.

Im still shopping around for an 06 CPO.

I found a decent deal on a indigo ink CPO for $34,000..

31,000 miles.

But the lexus history shows that part of the CPO process they performed dent removal on the trunk and then says 200 repaired dents!

Now 200 is that the code or does it mean that literally 200 dents were repaired on the car?!

Is this something to be concerned about you think?
Old 01-24-10, 09:44 AM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

i really doubt their was 200 dents, unless someone had a crazy g/f..
Old 01-24-10, 10:05 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

There is an easy way to resolve this... I've attached the working standards for paintless dent repairs. Read it then go, closely inspect the car and ask the dealer for details of what and how the repairs were made.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
paintless.pdf (22.9 KB, 520 views)
Old 01-24-10, 10:26 AM
johndoe10
Driver School Candidate

Wow, you guys are amazing.

Thank you so much, I was actually ready to just have the car shipped to me because it's across the U.S. until at the end I asked the dealer to send me the vehicle history at the lexus dealership and saw this...

I will pass on the car, thank you!

BTW, I took a look at another one at the dealer but it was pricey. It had swirl marks all over the car. Should those be easy to remove?
Old 01-24-10, 10:45 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Depends on depth into the "topcoat". Lexus has very high standards. Dealers have been known to, how do I say this nicely, cut corners to save a nickel.

If I can quote Toyota/Lexus Standards:

"Toyota recognizes the reality of paint finish application in the shop environment. In addition to color matching and blending, countermeasures to remove paint process intrusion (dirt nibs) are necessary to achieve an undetectable finish match.

This is also common in manufacturing plants when process intrusion is encountered. Countermeasures are defined as; ultra-fine sanding to level nibs followed by polishing to a level of gloss and texture consistent with the original finish."

Unfortunately some, mostly previous owners, do little to protect their cars. If it were me I'd want a full detailing by the dealer INCLUDING a full "clay barring".
Old 01-24-10, 08:28 PM
johndoe10
Driver School Candidate

Thanks,

I mentioned to the dealer that the car needs to be detailed and he said no problem... I'm not sure if it was already detailed once before since it's a CPO...

Is it possible that the detail shop created the swirl marks and they don't know how to get rid of them? Or maybe it's just not possible to?

The entire car is covered in swirl marks like after a rotary was used to polish the car...
Old 01-24-10, 08:47 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Yep...happens all the time. Someone using a rough pad or old school buffer or too fast or too hard can do that.

I'd rather take the chance on the blue with PDR than the swirl marks!

What lexus dealer? There is an indigo CPO at the dealer (park place) down the street from me.

If you like black, they have a SWEET and beautiful 2007 for $36k CPO which is a STEAL! Here is what they have. I'd be glad to tell you anything about them...I just looked at them and posted some pics on Saturday on CL. The black is immaculate!

http://www.parkplacetexas.com/web/in...ibles/Preowned
Old 01-25-10, 02:26 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony
^^^1, even Elin would be tired trying to hit a car this many times with a 9 iron
Old 01-25-10, 07:07 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony
It's possible that the 200 dents were caused by hail damage. I lived in Colorado and you'd see cars on dealer lots with many, many small dents from large hail storms. They were usually able to get them all out with no issues.
Old 01-25-10, 07:41 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If 200 isn't a code then, I would think that's what it cost to take out. Probably one little impression from someone pushing too hard to close, or something silly like that. I have one in her SC that you can only catch at certain angles and lighting. I'm for giving that one a closer look. Also maybe there is someone who could check it out for you in person. Where is it located? I know you said on the other side of the country, from NY.
Old 01-25-10, 01:17 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

200 dents is code for TIGER SPEAK Some one must of took a golf club to the car
Old 01-25-10, 02:51 PM
johndoe10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Yep...happens all the time. Someone using a rough pad or old school buffer or too fast or too hard can do that.

I'd rather take the chance on the blue with PDR than the swirl marks!

What lexus dealer? There is an indigo CPO at the dealer (park place) down the street from me.

If you like black, they have a SWEET and beautiful 2007 for $36k CPO which is a STEAL! Here is what they have. I'd be glad to tell you anything about them...I just looked at them and posted some pics on Saturday on CL. The black is immaculate!

http://www.parkplacetexas.com/web/in...ibles/Preowned
SCDRPTOP, that's exactly the one I am looking at! Since I am from NY it seeing it is not possible so I would have to have it shipped here.

I am not looking for black though, makes the car look too plain I believe.

Do you think it would be at all possible if you have some spare time to take a look at the Indigo Ink one, with the espresso interior?
I would be forever in your debt if you could check it out for me, I would appreciate it VERY much. Thank you!

BTW, the 200 number was what they charged for the labor

Last edited by johndoe10; 01-25-10 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-27-10, 07:28 AM
johndoe10
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to bump this up guys but,

SCDROPTOP, any word? I have almost come to an agreement with them, but still waiting if you could take a look. Thank you!

BTW, guys if I end up with this car, I am going to need to have it shipped.

Can you guys recommend a good shipping company under $1,000? I have never bought a used car online before. Or since this is from a LExus dealer, should I insist that he ships it to me? Can he even ship it to me? And if yes, can he ship it to the nearest Lexus dealer to me and I can pick it up myself?

Thank you again for all of your help guys, you are amazing bunch of people, I have been reading non-stop and can't wait to have my dream car!
Old 01-27-10, 10:57 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pm azkaty she bought one in Pa. and had it shipped to Ariz. I think she was pleased.
Old 01-27-10, 04:49 PM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Can you guys recommend a good shipping company under $1,000? I have never bought a used car online before. Or since this is from a LExus dealer, should I insist that he ships it to me? Can he even ship it to me? And if yes, can he ship it to the nearest Lexus dealer to me and I can pick it up myself?"

My Great shipper was Blue Angles Express.. and I did use a broker.. Bears Transport. There is an auto transport website that rates shippers..

And you can read the reviews. I was really happy with how the whole process went. From PA`to AZ. Very fair on pricing as well.
Katy

Quick Reply: Lexus Dent Removal