SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Wheel Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-10, 09:25 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wheel Opinions?

Finally found one I like, this style, but with a satin, titanium like finish. They are 20" Konkave

Found them on ebay, seems too much.

Think these go good on an SC, and anyone know where to get a better price?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=66486

Thanks

Last edited by KaiserSea1; 01-16-10 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-16-10, 09:39 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i'm not going to post links, because i can't vouch for any of the sites. but if you google "exe wheels konkave" you'll find lower prices.

one thing that's a little weird is none of the sites i saw allow you to select your offsets. the default is pretty conservative with no lip. and personally, i think the design is a little busy. but if you like the look, go for it.
Old 01-16-10, 09:40 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Wow..those are nice...and the price includes tires, wheels and shipping... gonna be hard to beat. The ebay add says they are chrome finished...they'd really sparkle on your "green (almost black)" SC.
Old 01-16-10, 09:46 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Actually, I've seen them on an SC or maybe I'm getting mixed up with a G37 at my dealer in Dallas. Either way, they looked awesome! Kind of the cure for the average wheel, you know? Refreshingly different, but not extreme or weird. I like them a lot!

In eBay wheel and tire packages, the markup is almost always in the tires. They are "throw ins" and could already have dead spots on them or been sitting forever in a wharehouse. I would not recommend buying a set like this and instead going to your local Discount Tire so you can get better tires for a better price and free lifetime rotate, balance, air, etc. Also, DT sells the road hazard too, which I'd recommend since you are ditching your RFT's and spare (I'm assuming on the spare if you have one).

I'm digging right now...found a set of 20" staggered for 5x112 bolt patterns (German cars) for $859 so you KNOW you can get these for less and they are making money on the tires. Sit tight...

BTW, do you like the other EXE wheels, the Konvex? Looks similar and they are more widely available.

http://www.wheelwarehouse.com/m-73-exe-wheels.aspx
Old 01-16-10, 09:49 AM
scdroptop

Man...EXE makes some nice wheels! I like these too...would look great on the lucky bastard or a black car! Hope it's understood I don't endorse any of the vendors or links I copy/paste...just trying to help folks find stuff, but since Jason brought it up thought I would give my disclaimer too. Buyer should ALWAYS be aware.

****You know that the Konkave wheels (hence the name), concave inward from a side view and have no lip, right?
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Opinions?-bivtjsg-2k-kgrhqyh-cyesmbmpnnrbloyvywgvg-_12.jpg  

Last edited by scdroptop; 01-16-10 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-16-10, 09:56 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
BTW, do you like the other EXE wheels, the Konvex? Looks similar and they are more widely available.
[/url]
I have strange (some would say bad) taste when it comes to wheels. I actually like the pie plates, and would only change them out for something that blows me away. So far only the Konkaves do. That is why I reached out to the group, for opinions. The wheels go for about 450$ each. It is an old style I see people selling them here back in 06. Hoping to get lucky.

Is there a down side for having no lip. Would these wheels cause problems. The only thing I know about lips, is looking at Angelina Jolie pictures for hours on end.
Old 01-16-10, 09:58 AM
scdroptop

check above links and google...found them as low as $360/wheel. I would buy the four wheels and lugs and hub rings and get your tires at DT or local tires shop.

Wheels are very personal...each person for each wheel. I don't think your wheel taste is strange, it is what it is! You like what you like. Go for them...

Just wanted to point out the no-lip thing and the concave from side view in case you didn't know.
Old 01-16-10, 10:02 AM
Yes

having a lip just adds depth to the wheel. makes it a little more interesting to look at. without a lip, wheels tend to look more stock. but it's all a matter of personal preference.
Old 01-16-10, 10:06 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Don't forget if you change out the wheels to a more "open" look... those wonderfully ugly Lexus caliper will be very visible.
Old 01-16-10, 10:09 AM
scdroptop

if you look at completed auctions on eBay some 19's just sold for $400 new! The 20" for German bolt patterns sold for $859. I would offer him $900 for all four wheels and scrap the tires. I believe you can make an offer on that listing, if not, just contact them through eBay. You won't see the calipers too much on the wheel you like. I don't see mine much with my spider-type wheels so they don't bother me, although I'd love to have red calipers to match my interior.
Old 01-16-10, 06:19 PM
sjl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheels

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
i'm not going to post links, because i can't vouch for any of the sites. but if you google "exe wheels konkave" you'll find lower prices.

one thing that's a little weird is none of the sites i saw allow you to select your offsets. the default is pretty conservative with no lip. and personally, i think the design is a little busy. but if you like the look, go for it.
I am in the market for new wheels and from what I can tell in the small picture, I kind of like your wheels, may I ask what your running?
Old 01-16-10, 06:30 PM
Yes

Originally Posted by sjl
I am in the market for new wheels and from what I can tell in the small picture, I kind of like your wheels, may I ask what your running?
they're work ryver DT3's. i'm pretty sure they're discontinued. they make a DT4 that is similar, but i prefer the DT3. i've seen similar wheels from a couple other manufactuers, i'll try to dig them up. here are a couple larger pics for you...

Old 01-16-10, 06:42 PM
sjl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
they're work ryver DT3's. i'm pretty sure they're discontinued. they make a DT4 that is similar, but i prefer the DT3. i've seen similar wheels from a couple other manufactuers, i'll try to dig them up. here are a couple larger pics for you...

Thanks, Those are nice, I have the same color '02. I may try and find some. Thanks again for the info...
Old 01-16-10, 06:49 PM
Yes

no problem. fyi, i checked work's website and it looks like they discontinued the DT4 too. the closest now is their euroline wheel, but it's not as refined. good luck finding a set. ebay is probably your best bet. i would say to keep an eye on the classifieds here, but i don't think anyone else has them on CL.