SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC Sales News...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-10, 08:07 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts
Default SC Sales News...

We all know car sales are down but I did not realize that SC sales have fallen so far. The latest stats from Lexus on sales over the same period year to year do not reflect a good omen for continued production of the line.

Total 2009 SC430 sales: 720 units

Total 2008 SC430 sales: 1,986 units

Percent change year to year: -63.7%

Wonder what Lexus will do to refresh it.... I know there's been speculation about it. Any thoughts?

Last edited by VVTiBob; 01-07-10 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-07-10, 08:37 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yesterday, I had my LX serviced at my local Lexus Dealership, and when I asked the sales mgr., he said that originally, the SC was due to be shelved after 2010, but lately there's been chatter that it'll be redesigned and all-new for '12 or '13. Considering the low sales volume, though, I would take this with a large grain of salt....
Old 01-07-10, 10:06 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sales of the IS drop top are fine, the SC needs to be distanced further. An SCF with the new sport LS 8 tuned right and we are back in business.
Old 01-07-10, 10:11 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

New units sales are way down, however sales of CPO's and other pre-owned are steady. When you can get 02's for 17K and a nice 03 for 19K, why buy new?? Just my opinion , but why spend over 60K for an automobile when the styling has not changed ??
Old 01-07-10, 10:38 AM
velocity12
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was at the dealer a couple of days ago and the sales rep definitely stated that 2010 was going to be it for the SC. I am not sure how clued in they are.
Old 01-07-10, 10:46 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Wonder what Lexus will do to refresh it.... I know there's been speculation about it. Any thoughts?
The current SC hasn't been a volume seller for a few years now. It's a niche car that provides build quality moreso than GT performance.

The IS350-C, being cheaper, faster, sportier, more technologically advanced, more gas efficient, easily modifiable, and has functional rear seats; has taken attention away from the SC430.

The future? We can only speculate, but also recommend.

The SC460/500 needs to be sportier and lighter than the IS-C. Let's start off with that, and see if Lexus can pull it off.

If the SC is based on the GS platform, it should be based on the 4GS platform, rather than using the "old" 3GS platform, which the IS-C uses in a modified way.

Hardtop convertible? Maybe. I don't find it necessary. Lexus can go back to the SC's roots and keep it a coupe. Maybe give way to a softtop. I like the current 2+2 seating set-up; the car should exude two-seater but have rear seats available, albeit for "emergencies."

If Jaguar can pull off the XK and XKR coupe/targa for $80-100k, so should Lexus with the new SC and probably the SC-F.
Old 01-07-10, 12:13 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Kind of sad...an end to a dynasty, a legend. sniff sniff It's time though. It was a great run. Whatever is next, I'm excited to see it. I will love and cherish mine for who knows how long...may trade next for a G37 convertible or the next SC---we'll see.

This is deja vu for me and one of my old loves: The mazda RX-7 I had five of them.

I remember watching the yearly sales decrease, prices increase, technology and options on the car becomming extinct...other models outselling them even within the same nameplate (miata) and eventually it died. Parts became harder and harder to get, and in combination with failing engines people were ditching them left and right. The RX7 (although had many documented engine problems) was similar to the SC in the impact it had on the automobile world and car enthusiasts.

I had five of the rx-7 convertibles from 88-91 and I can tell you they were every bit of unique and cool as a SC430 for it's time. In 88 they had airbags, fog lights adjustable suspension, "mute" feature on their speakers, headrest speakers, factory alarm FTP lenses (flash-to-pass), recaro leather seats, DUAL exhaust, nardi steering wheel, leather gear shift and e-brake and steering wheel, targa-soft top combination, etc etc. Like the SC, it was often categorized as only a cruiser because she was so damn heavy. 160hp and 3200lbs ouch She wasn't fast by any means.

One really cool advanced feature they had too was illuminated key holes when you put the key close to the hole--very cool for 88'. It also (kind of funny today) had a "exhaust overheat" warning light on it!
Old 01-07-10, 02:07 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sales are extremely low the past couple years compared to earlier years because the car is old. This gen. has been out since MY 2002. That's nine model years of the SC430. Lexus has let this car slip with very few updates over the years. It's a great car, and it's still my favorite Lexus currently sold, but it is way over due for a new/updated model to better compete with Jaguar XK, Mercedes SL, E-Coupe, BMW 6 Series, Bentley GTC among others.

If Lexus can shed itself from the desire to make every new generation mold into the "L-finesse" design language and instead make the next gen. SC elegant, powerful and uniquely styled like the current model was back in 02, then they will no doubt have a hit on their hands once again.

There is most definitely a market for a premium luxury aluminum top convertible as I see plenty of such vehicles driving around every day. The key is to not let the car go stale by lack of updates and major remodels.

Last edited by jjbenzo; 01-07-10 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-07-10, 02:09 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Originally Posted by velocity12
I was at the dealer a couple of days ago and the sales rep definitely stated that 2010 was going to be it for the SC. I am not sure how clued in they are.
Sales associates learn of new models/updates at the exact same time as everyone else. They don't know anything (just like us) until Toyota releases a real press release to the public.
Old 01-07-10, 02:20 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Gotta agree with jjbenzo above, especially on the who knows what, when. Toyota usually keeps its lips firmly pressed together on things like this until they formally announce them.
Old 01-09-10, 07:20 PM
vietpr1nce
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tromly
New units sales are way down, however sales of CPO's and other pre-owned are steady. When you can get 02's for 17K and a nice 03 for 19K, why buy new?? Just my opinion , but why spend over 60K for an automobile when the styling has not changed ??
+1 on that one. im almost positive no one will ever guess my car is an 02. all said and done im still under $30k for an 02 with less than 25k miles. why would anyone buy an 09-10 for $60k+??????? makes no sense to me. baller on a budget would be an 02-05 with the 06+ conversion.
Old 01-09-10, 11:59 PM
sc430guy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost everyone that wants one has either a) already got one or b) can get it way cheaper used than new.

Since lexus' last, why buy new?
Old 01-10-10, 10:30 AM
jjbenzo
Advanced

I would like a 2010 just because of the fact that it is brand new and nobody has broken parts, worn down the seats, worn down the engine, stained the carpet, I dont have to question the car's maintenance history, there are no paint blemishes from road debris, no scratches ect...

Plus a 2010 is under warranty for several more years, should give you absolutely NO trouble at all for many years and will not need new brakes, tires, timing belt, water pump, ect...for many miles. In addition, the 2010 is fresh. There is new wheels, XM nav traffic/weather, Bluetooth, turn signal with puddle lamps on the mirrors, along with all the updates that came in 06.

For me, I would prefer brand new, but would not buy older than 2-3 years old at the most for all of the reasons above.

Of course it all matters according to your preferences, expectations, trade-offs and budget.
Old 01-10-10, 02:20 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

jjbenzo-good points about new not having problems, but these days the CPO's are so refurbished that they are really like new. Besides, you are rolling on two 8-10 year old cars and a 25 year old classic so your vote doesn't count! LOL

PS-I had a 1984 Celica Supra with the big fatties 14" wide Supra wheels and fender flares. Big option that year was the sunroof and equilizer under the tape player! Great car. Love to see a pic of it. Mine was red with the burgandy/grey interior. 5SPD GT
Old 01-10-10, 08:13 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Originally Posted by scdroptop
jjbenzo-good points about new not having problems, but these days the CPO's are so refurbished that they are really like new. Besides, you are rolling on two 8-10 year old cars and a 25 year old classic so your vote doesn't count! LOL

PS-I had a 1984 Celica Supra with the big fatties 14" wide Supra wheels and fender flares. Big option that year was the sunroof and equilizer under the tape player! Great car. Love to see a pic of it. Mine was red with the burgandy/grey interior. 5SPD GT
Yes true my cars are much older than three years old, but they were not when we bought them (except for the Supra). The Lincoln LS we bought brand new in 2000 and the GS430 we bought three years old in 2005. The Supra we just bought in 07 (had one when I was in h/s...had to buy another for old time sake). What I was trying to say, is that when my wife and I are in the market for another car, we prefer new, but are willing to go up to three years old due to all of the reasons listed above. Our LS and GS430 are in impeccable condition as I am a stickler for over the top maintenance records and replacing all worn parts with new OEM parts whenever the slightest bit of wear is notable. However we are wanting to make an addition sometime later this year. My wife wants a 10 GX460/LR4, I want a 10 SC430. We will see who wins...

Last edited by jjbenzo; 01-10-10 at 08:20 PM.

Quick Reply: SC Sales News...