SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

6x9s are wasted... so what is everyone using?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-09, 05:16 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 6x9s are wasted... so what is everyone using?

Well, I took the SC to Sema this year only to find out that my driver's side front speaker sounds blown.. Its been going for a while now but now you can't even listen to it at normal level on certain songs..

So what has everyone been doing for new front speakers.. I'd rather not spend a lot of cash on crappy speakers that are probably gonna go out again but I guess, if have to, I will.. (I just got thru replacing the other o2 sensor on this car along with doing the timing belt.. A new timing belt is every 60 months or 90K.. well I guess my car is way over 60 months but no where near 90k.. damn)

Has anyone replaced the front 6x9s with 4 ohm speakers? I can't imagine that 4ohms will damage the stock ML amp but I'd rather not find out..

Thanks
Ken
Old 11-25-09, 09:03 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

6x9's regularly pop up on eBay from $125-$200 depending on condition, etc.

Here is a decently priced one. There are several more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-08...CarQ5fSpeakers
Old 11-26-09, 12:06 AM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of mine went out a few months ago and I bought two new ML 6X9's from an individual who just happened to have them. I got a great deal. I let Best Buy install it and they only charged me $35. Sounds good again.

Lexus was going to charge me $285.00 just for the installation of the speaker, and their price for the speakers was outrageous.

For the easiest route, replace the ML speakers with ML speakers. Just don't get them from Lexus. If you are wanting to replace them and try something else, search on CL for others that have done it. There are many threads on the subject, some extremely detailed.
Old 11-26-09, 07:27 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

An earlier thread discussed replacing the speakers with 4ohm speakers rather than sticking with the 8ohm OEM ML speakers. There was concern (speculation?) expressed that the AMP in the trunk couldn't handle it and would wind up overheating because of lack of air flow.
Old 11-26-09, 09:48 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Just my two cents, but after having a ton of cars with all-in-one systems (Bose, HK, ML, Nakamichi, etc) it's more trouble to go non-oem unless you rip it all out, then you are talking big time bucks. For years in Dallas, I have gone to this little Bose repair shop in Richardson, Tx that specializes in Bose only and you can get speakers repaired for $100 or less sometimes, but used ones and head units too. Sure beats the several hundred you'd pay for new ones.

Yeah, the used ML speakers (assuming they work and are in good condition) are a fraction of the price on eBay versus what the dealer charges. I want to say it was like $1200 with labor to replace one of my 6x9's last year on my 02 (under warranty thank God).....OUCH!
Old 11-26-09, 11:17 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I feel your pain. Both of the front 6x9's on my '02 were blown when I bought my car. It is an easy procedure to remove the door panels and do it yourself. There are some great step by step instructions for replacing these speakers in this forum. The best new OEM price I found was from Sewell's with the CL discount. They were about $194 a piece. Good luck!
Old 11-26-09, 01:48 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

You can fix it by speaker glue. I have fixed 3 of them already.
Old 11-26-09, 11:28 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Hey.. Happy thanksgiving guys.. But yeah that guy on the classified that is parting out and SC said that he'd sell me his speakers.. Assuming that they aren't torn, I'll probably go that route.

I did see an article about a guy that replaced his 6x9s with 6.5s with an adapter ring made out of MDF. I was looking on Parts express . com and they do have a nice selection of 6.5s in 8ohm. The ones I want cost almost $100 a piece but they are sold out.. Oh and I did see the last part where people were fixing their old speakers with silicone.. I may try as I don't have any speakers yet..

The Sc has a pretty sweet sounding stereo but I did always think that the bass was a bit lacking and coming too much from the front. I may put a bass blocker on the 6x9s when I get them out so I can turn up the bass more and get more out of the sub..

Well, I'll let you know how it goes. I do sometimes get a bit creative and I do have a long weekend here.. hmmm..

Ken
Old 11-27-09, 04:28 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Let us know the end of this story!
Old 11-28-09, 08:13 AM
farkas
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You can fix them yourself by putting Silicone caulking around the edge of the speaker. There are write ups about this on CL. I tried it and it worked! Use good Silicone!!!!!
Old 12-01-09, 01:34 PM
ZGone
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would still stand by my complete speaker replacement as the best long term solution. First the ML system is very good but as with all factory systems the money is in the head unit and the speaker are generally crap. This is also true with the ML and Bose systems. I'm not sure who makes the ML speakers but Clarion make the Bose car speakers. Going with a conversion from 6x9 to a 6.5 makes upgrading the speakers easier and future replacement (if necessary) a snap. Just make sure that you get speaker rated for 8 ohms. Going with a standard car audio 4 ohm speaker WILL fry you ML amp over time. The ML sub in the SC is very weak so putting in a dedicated sub/amp resulted in enough bass to rattle you fillings. The new speakers really make the ML system sound like it should.

Upgrade, don't fix something that was poor to begin with.

Cheers
Old 12-01-09, 06:50 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

ZGone, if you wind up changing the 6x9's to 6.5x9, let us know the outcome. Take pictures if you can. Good luck with the mods.
Old 12-01-09, 09:16 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
ZGone, if you wind up changing the 6x9's to 6.5x9, let us know the outcome. Take pictures if you can. Good luck with the mods.
he already has done it and posted a write up.... with pics as well.
Old 12-02-09, 09:21 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS_250
he already has done it and posted a write up.... with pics as well.
Thanks. Here is the link for others that may be searching for it.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...all-sc430.html
Old 12-03-09, 07:13 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...I replaced all of mine myself...including the 8in out back.I put Boston Acoustic 6x9's in the doors and 4.5(if I remember corrctly) also B.A. in the rear....and it sounds great !!! The speakers are indeed 4ohms,but instead of overloading the amp(s)...it actually plays louder.Therefore you can turn down the radio,using less power to the speakers.The 8 in woofer(kicker) doesn't sound as good,as the ML,but I'm thinking it's the factory frequency setting(being different from the Kicker) not allowing it to operate to it's potential.I am debating putting a seperate amp on the woofer or possibly 1 amp to run the whole system...but it sounds great and if your woofer is in good shape;I think you could get away with just replacing the 6x9's & 4 in's...and sounding very good !!! ed

Quick Reply: 6x9s are wasted... so what is everyone using?