SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Moving up from a 1996 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-09, 11:28 AM
Leisurelar
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Moving up from a 1996 LS400

Been a lurker for many years, I am getting ready to let my LS400 go, been an excellent car for many years, but now I want a Sc430 I have loved them from inception, can any of you tell me the rarest color combinations that are out there up to about the 2005 model years. I am from Western Canada and we do not have many of these running around, but I still would like to have something rarer than most.
I would appreciate any and all thoughts on the subject. Thanks
Old 11-22-09, 12:04 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want rare I would look at the Neiman Marcus (NM) or 2005 Pebble Beach (PB) editions. They both feature dark read leather which is very eye catching and only a few of both have been made...SCdroptop has a beautiful PB (black ext / red leath) and Vietprince has a modded NM (thoundercloud--unique gray/ red leath) probably one of my favorite cars on here...
Old 11-22-09, 12:45 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

like IStoSC said, the NM and PB editions will give you the red interior. as far as exterior color goes, white, black and silver are the most popular. after that, red is probably the most common. then blue and green. champaign is probably the least common, but it's also the least attractive in my opinion.

another way to go is modding your car. personally, i'd buy the color you like best and customize it. with wheels and a kit, your car can practically be one of a kind.
Old 11-22-09, 01:37 PM
Leisurelar
Driver School Candidate

My LS is Black on Black which to me is a great combo but seems like I am not the only one that likes that. lol At this moment in the province of Alberta there are a total of 6 for sale, not much to choose from, I flew to Fort Worth to buy my LS 5 years ago. How does the saddle leather stand up to dirt? I run a welding shop and occasionally get dirty that is why the black seemed to work well for me, not to sure on the saddle but the very light colours are out for sure.
Old 11-22-09, 02:25 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Leisurelar
My LS is Black on Black which to me is a great combo but seems like I am not the only one that likes that. lol At this moment in the province of Alberta there are a total of 6 for sale, not much to choose from, I flew to Fort Worth to buy my LS 5 years ago. How does the saddle leather stand up to dirt? I run a welding shop and occasionally get dirty that is why the black seemed to work well for me, not to sure on the saddle but the very light colours are out for sure.
Saddle interior holds up well, if you don't like to constantly clean your interior definitely don't get ecru !! Just tell SCDROPTOP what color you want, he's an expert at finding cars. Two weeks ago there was Nieman Marcus #33 available for 24k in South Carolina, believe it had 29,000 miles , which is low miles for an 02. They only made 100, it is the most rare SC430. Good Luck with your search
Old 11-22-09, 02:37 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

I have a black / black SC430 and was originally wanting the Black / Saddle, but SO happy I ended up finding the black interior because the interior is all one color. If you were to get ecru / saddle then only the leather parts of the car will be that particular color and the rest of the interior will be black. This problem is alleviated if you get a PB or NM because then everything is red and its all one color...so IMO I'd look for black or red interior...
Old 11-22-09, 03:10 PM
Leisurelar
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input I have been cramming all weekend to get up to speed on pricing and mileage. That NM sounded like a steal!
Old 11-22-09, 04:07 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Larry-check your PM.

Here is another car for you to consider at Sewell in Fort Worth, just like your LS was!!!

http://www.sewell.com/web/vehicle/45...year=All_years

PM TooCoolSC he can fill you in on it. He test drove it on Friday!!!!

Sewell is a fabulous dealer! I have bought ten cars from them in the past 12+ years.

Call Mel Warren at 214-353-2105 tell him Derek sent you. He is excellent to work with.

I would not recommend the wholesale car at PayDay Motors that is the 2002 Neiman Marcus Edition offered for $24k. They took over ten days to respond to me, they were quite rude/short in their messages and they don't return phone calls. Additionally, they know NOTHING about the car...no service, no carfax, can't comment if it's been damaged or painted or not, etc etc. Close up pictures revealed some severe rock chips (uhhhh thundercloud MIGHT be a tough color to match???) by the wheel wells or perhaps dirt, I don't know. And to top it all off, doesn't really look like a five star dealer.

Having said all that, if I could steal it for $20k or so, it might be worth the gamble for me. They are not willing to sell it that cheap.

I'm becoming more and more skeptical of wholesalers disguising cars these days---after some personal research and hearing stories from others it's awfully scary buying from a wholesaler if you don't have ALL the information and can see the car in person and have it inspected. ****The thing you have to ask yourself is: If the car is THAT nice, why didn't the local Lexus dealer buy it??? Why was it at the auction? The answer MIGHT be ok, but sometimes the answer is bad...like damage, high miles, flood car, theft, etc. Don't get me wrong, I may go into business myself as a wholesaler someday and have bought many cars from wholesalers in my lifetime, HOWEVER I did my research thoroughly and got a GREAT price and was ok with any "discoveries" I had after I bought the car. Like my 1991 Rx-7 convertible that I discovered had a remanufactured engine in it!!! Good news is that the rotary engine was solid---bad news is that the engine was a J-Spec engine that was slightly different than the OEM engine in that 91 car so somethings didn't match per the owners manual!!!!
Old 11-22-09, 04:15 PM
Leisurelar
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know if the CPO warranty can be transfered to Canadian owners?
Old 11-22-09, 04:21 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, I checked both the us and canada sites and nowhere does it mention that the other country supports it, so you will have to ask. I would ask your local Canada dealer.

I would bet that they do...but I'm an optimist. The language on the us site talks about "dealers across the country" and certainly doesn't talk about other countries.

Ask your dealer to be sure.
Old 11-22-09, 04:36 PM
sc430guy
Rookie

You might be better off importing the car from the states. You'll have some import fees, but the usd and cad are pretty close right now that youll likely save thousands....Especially in a place like saskatchewan, where the supply is low (thus the price is high).
Old 11-22-09, 04:46 PM
Leisurelar
Driver School Candidate

Thats my plan, bought my LS400 in Fort Worth about 6 years ago now I want a SC430, I can fly wherever and DRIVE home from anywhere in the US, part of the fun. PS Fort Saskatchewan is about 20 mi out of Edmonton, Alberta, 300 mi South of the oilsands.
Old 11-23-09, 05:57 PM
Leisurelar
Driver School Candidate

Pulled the trigger today, 2006 SC430 Smoky Granite Mica, Black interior, 37500 Mi, 1 owner, Clean carfax, looks like reg 6 month lexus service until Nov last year 29995.00
Fly out in about a week to drive home. Can hardly wait! Feel like a kid at Christmas again lol.
Old 11-24-09, 03:48 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Congratulations. Man that is a long drive! How many miles did that wind up being for you? Is this one from the DFW area also? Enjoy your new ride.
Old 11-24-09, 05:01 PM
Leisurelar
Driver School Candidate

Thank you
That was a 2400 mi trip I did it by myself in 37 hours. Not much rest on that one.lol
Last year a buddy and myself left here and went to Key west for lunch and then to Norfolk before heading back, that was a 10 day whirlwind road trip as well. Love driving the Lexus.

Quick Reply: Moving up from a 1996 LS400