SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Radio Door/cover stuck

Old 11-20-09, 08:00 AM
Plano Bill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Door/cover stuck

I just bought a 2002 SC430, 62,000 miles, silver/saddle near perfect condition on owner, all records for $17,000. The radio door is stuck open and won't close. Any ideas on how to fix it? [/COLOR] Also the radio antenna will not go all the way down - about five inches stays up. Are the two problems related. Like others mentioned, I could eat off of the engine and the trunk still smells like a new car. Love it.

Bill
Old 11-20-09, 08:38 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

the door has probably slipped off track. not a big deal, but personally i wouldn't try to fix it myself. the dealership should be able to take care of it in about 10 minutes. the antenna may be bent. most likely, you'll need a new one. they run about $120. with labor, you should be able to get both issues fixed for under $200. it sounds like you got a good price, so i wouldn't sweat it too much.
Old 11-20-09, 10:00 AM
Plano Bill
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I will take it in to get the door fixed. Yes, the price was good. Traveled to a small town outside of Dallas. In Dallas a comparable car had a firm $22k price tag but had multiple owners.
Attached Thumbnails Radio Door/cover stuck-2.jpg  
Old 11-20-09, 10:32 AM
daryltrinh
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Keep in mind that the antenna length varies upon the station you listen to,
but judging by the picture, it looks too short.
Try listening to different stations while monitoring the antenna length.
Old 11-20-09, 11:22 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

My antenna looks like that when the car is shut off...that's as far down as it goes now.

The dealership ran it through a carwash with the antenna up...oops.
Old 11-20-09, 11:26 AM
Plano Bill
Driver School Candidate

Default Antenna

That photo is of my antenna all the way down, car turned off. I thought they were supposed to go all the way down when off.
Old 11-20-09, 02:28 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, your car looks extra clean for 17k, great purchase. The antenna should go all the way down !
Old 11-20-09, 03:37 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Plano Bill
That photo is of my antenna all the way down, car turned off. I thought they were supposed to go all the way down when off.
It is...yours is broken...just like mine. You'll need to replace the mast. Or, better yet, have your dealer do it.
Old 11-20-09, 04:46 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow you got a great deal for 17k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-20-09, 08:08 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Plano Bill-welcome to CL and to the Plano Tx SC Club! It's you and me! I'm sure there are others. I live at Plano Pkwy Tollway Area. I see at least four to five SC's each day. Great color combination and YES, you stole it!!!

There are several DFW based SC owners very active daily. Myself and TooCoolSC, but many many others are on here too from DFW.

I had a 2002 red/ecru before my 2005 Pebble Beach and loved it.

The antenna can be done yourself-buy the mast on eBay and you feed the teeth through while it is retracting and it catches, pulls it through. I've done it on several cars before and they all basically work the same.

You can get some Eagle One Never Dull to make those pipes brand new shiny!!!

The dealer should probably mess with the door. Not a big $$$ don't worry.

Congrats!

PS-what are your plans for the car?

Most common first modifications are wheels/tires. 2006+ tail lights, intake, i-pod
Old 11-22-09, 11:00 AM
Plano Bill
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for the welcome

Thanks scdroptop

I don't have plans at this time for the car. I love it the way it looks for now. I have a few light scratches I might get taken car of. Interior seems perfect - well one small leather scratch on the console. Engine and trunk are like new. The car had one owner and had it dealer serviced. The dealer I bought it from even put on a new drive belt cause he felt the old one was making noise.

I am in East Plano near the college. I don't drive many miles a year commute wise so I will probably have this one a long time. I checked into everyone around here for sale in the '02 to '04 range since I only wanted to spend about 20k. Got lucky and spotted mine the day a dealer posted it on autotrader and craigs list. It was about 90 miles from D in east texas.

Today's project is to try and figure out how to get my bike in the trunk and go to Oak Point for some cycling.

Talk with you later.
Bill
Old 11-22-09, 12:05 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Plano Bill
Today's project is to try and figure out how to get my bike in the trunk and go to Oak Point for some cycling.
the best solution for me was to put the top down, remove the front wheel and put the bike in the back seat.

Last edited by Yes; 11-22-09 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-23-09, 11:42 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Search for write up of mine of replacing the antennas mast if that is the issue.
On the nav door, does the nav screen move forward at all? Does the tilt button work? If it does then the door just probably slipped on the track as mentioned prior, if not, then the circuit board may have an issue which occurred on mine. This necessitated purchasing and soldering on new diodes.
Old 11-24-09, 11:14 AM
johnnyreno
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine just needed clean and oiled with a bit of lithium grease works well now
Old 11-24-09, 11:27 AM
Plano Bill
Driver School Candidate

Default Radio door

Yes the nav will tilt and the nav door does open and close. The radio door can be closed and opened manually but the button does not activate the door. Also, when I push the button for the door, I do not hear any whirring or motor attempting to close or open the door.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radio Door/cover stuck