Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Sounds like your switch has gone bad.
Old 11-25-09, 11:51 AM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In reference to the radio door........ I purchased an 03 mid summer knowing the radio door wasn't working. I could pull it down and push it up, but like it was said earlier, no motor sound or any type of noise could be heard when pushing the button. So it was decided to get into it to identify what the problem was. What I found (and is definitely worth checking) the connector that operates the door had came lose and wasn't making contact. I simply pushed the plug in and tried it and lord and behold it worked. It was one of those things that you figured $600 was going to take care of. Now I have $6 bills to spend on something else. lol

Might be worth taking a quick look. Takes about 5 minutes.

Good luck!

lar
Old 11-25-09, 12:25 PM
Plano Bill
Driver School Candidate

Default radio door connector

I will check the connector. Where is it? I will go look around but if you read this, give me some hints!

Thanks
Bill
Old 11-25-09, 02:26 PM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Bill,

Private message replied..

GL

lar
Old 11-25-09, 02:29 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Somewhere on this site you can see how to remove the center console wood. As you lift the wood trim the radio button is at the very front of this piece. Carefully raise the wood trim and you'll see a small connector that has 3 conductors. The connector, as it comes from the factory, is held onto the switch with a tie-wrap of all things. To completely remove the wood trim you have to disconnect the wires. On my car, I carefully snipped (cut) the tie wrap and then carefully removed the connector. Upon replacement I skipped adding a new tie wrap and it hasn't fallen apart - yet. There may be a better way but that is mine.
Old 02-13-10, 10:52 AM
MARGAR
Driver School Candidate

Default Radio door cover

Hello to all those who are so generous to give advice on this forum.
I also just bought a 2002 SC430 last week knowing that the radio door didn't work, I took the advice of this thread and this morning armed with my entire tool box went to see if I could check the connection to the door switch.
All I ended up using was good amount of finger pressure to remove the center console and had access to the radio door switch, I also removed the electrical tie and pushed the connector in,and voila it worked. I was so happy I woke up my wife to show her what i had done. ( she kindly rolled her eyes).

thanks to all who have posted on this issue.

Martin
Old 02-13-10, 11:40 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

MARGAR-great news and welcome to CL!!! Great to know newcomers are finding the search feature to work for them, and please post some pics of your new baby! Congratulations! You'll love your SC. I've owned two of them, and I miss my 2002 red/ecru dearly! Another SC Texas...where are you located?
Old 02-13-10, 03:20 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MARGAR
Hello to all those who are so generous to give advice on this forum.
I also just bought a 2002 SC430 last week knowing that the radio door didn't work, I took the advice of this thread and this morning armed with my entire tool box went to see if I could check the connection to the door switch.
All I ended up using was good amount of finger pressure to remove the center console and had access to the radio door switch, I also removed the electrical tie and pushed the connector in,and voila it worked. I was so happy I woke up my wife to show her what i had done. ( she kindly rolled her eyes).

thanks to all who have posted on this issue.

Martin
If I had a dollar for every time my wife rolled her eyes over something to do with a car.....................
Old 02-14-10, 07:24 AM
MARGAR
Driver School Candidate

I will post a few pics once i get the car cleaned up and the weather is warm enough to put the top down.
Live in New Braunfels.
Old 02-14-10, 08:27 AM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Hey Margar, welcome to cl where you can find most any upgrade or fixes to your SC. Like Pearlpower, if I had a nickel everytime my wife rolled her eyes over something about one of my vehicles, I could pay to have the repairs done...lol

Good job on your fix.

I never heard back from Plano Bill after PMing him on how to remove the cover etc for the door. Reckon it didn't fix it or ?

lar
Old 05-28-11, 12:15 PM
Blueberyum
Driver School Candidate

Can anyone give me a like to removing the piece to access the connector ?? Would be lots of help !! Mine is not functioning either..
Old 05-29-11, 04:43 AM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Blueberyum, welcome to CL where you'll find many answers to your questions or bring up new ones.

A a couple years ago I posted this to a fellow Member:

You have to pull the console cover. It's easy and doesn't take a mechanic or an engineer..lol... I'm neither. There is instructions on that CL site if you'll do the search. I think you have to remove the seat heater section first, then very carefully pull up the console cover. Put your car in neutral to pull it all the way off. You should see a white plug that is nearest the radio. Just unplug it and plug it back in. Try the radio door. Hope it works for you.
The one thing you should make sure all the plugs around that area stay plugged in. It's a little tricky getting the console back on and keeping them plugged in.
I hope that helps. If you have any trouble, feel free to contact me again and maybe I can send you better information/drawing of the console etc. I've been collecting information as it gets posted so I have a bit more information about the console and plugs. I also have a 2002 SC I purchase almost 3 years ago and that's when I started collecting info.

Hope that helps,

lar
Old 09-17-15, 08:52 AM
Cube
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Revival

So, i never knew that the door has an automated function ie opens and close until i saw a tutorial on youtube. So mine is stuck open. Is there a fuse that i could check up? or some other stuff first?